100-year-old driver Preston Carter hits 11 near Los Angeles school
The screams of women and children didn't cause a 100-year-old driver to stop as he backed his large powder blue Cadillac onto a sidewalk across from an elementary school and hit 11 people, including nine children.
So people began pounding on his windows screaming for him to stop, a witness said.
Alma Solache said she was buying her children an afterschool snack Wednesday just before the accident outside a South Los Angeles school.
"He was not paying attention," said Solache, 24, adding that it was at least two or three seconds before the vehicle halted and people began pulling children out from beneath the car.
Preston Carter, 100, talks with police officers after police say his car went onto a sidewalk and plowed into a group of parents and children outside a South Los Angeles elementary school, Wednesday, Aug. 29, 2012, in Los Angeles. Nine children and two adults were injured in the wreck.
Four of the children were in critical condition when firefighters arrived but they were stabilized and were in serious condition at a hospital, city fire Capt. Jaime Moore said. Everyone was expected to survive, he said.
Children's backpacks, shoes, candy and loose change were strewn about the scene behind a discount grocery store across from Main Street Elementary.
Police said the driver, Preston Carter, was being very cooperative and drugs or alcohol were not a factor in the crash.
Carter talked to television reporters after the crash some five miles southwest of downtown Los Angeles. He said he has a driver's license and will be 101 years old Sept. 5.
"My brakes failed. It was out of control," Carter told KCAL-TV.
A Los Angeles City firefighter assists a child, one of eight people injured when a car sped onto a sidewalk and plowed into a group of parents and children outside Main Street Elementary school, Wednesday Aug. 29, 2012 in Los Angeles. The crash occurred at 2:50 p.m., shortly after school had let out for the day, according to a statement from the Los Angeles Unified School District.
Asked about hitting the children, Preston said: "You know I'm sorry about that. I wouldn't do that for nothing on earth. My sympathies for them."
Carter was pulling out of the grocery store parking lot, but instead of backing into the street, he backed onto the sidewalk, police Capt. George Rodriguez said.
"I think it was a miscalculation on his part. The gentleman is elderly," Rodriguez said. "Obviously he is going to have some impairment on his decision making."
Elderly drivers have been involved in other tragedies. In 2003, an 86-year-old man mistakenly stepped on the gas pedal of his car instead of the brake and then panicked, plowing into an open-air market in Santa Monica. Ten people were killed and 63 injured.
According to California's Department of Motor Vehicles, people over age 70 must renew their driver's license in person, rather than via the Internet or by mail. Older drivers can also be required to take a supplemental driving test if they fail a vision exam, or if a police officer, a physician, or a family member raises questions about their ability to drive.
Rodriguez said the collision was being investigated as an accident, and Carter was not under arrest. He has a valid driver's license, Rodriguez said.
A TEXAN woman is facing criminal charges after breaking into the home of her husband's alleged mistress last weekend and creating chaos. Angela Siler-Fisher, 42, ... Full story
- Shocking! Five-year-old girl finds hidden camera in a Starbucks bathroom
- Florida woman Rashia Wilson who boasted she was the 'Queen of IRS tax fraud' on Facebook gets 21 years
- Prison intern Kayla Danielle Davis charged with sexual assault
- Man charged after cops shoot bystanders
- College student Shirley Ladd slips and falls 60 feet to her death on treacherous trail on Maine island
- Lynsi Torres: Meet America's youngest female billionaire
- 'Wrap your legs around my head': Married Fox weatherman Geoff Fox fired after 'inappropriate' sexting chats with female photographer
- Missouri Women Shelly Lewis, Alicia Binford accused of flashing at Illinois golf course
- Woman who put $50k wedding on company credit card arrested and charged
- Woman snaps the most selfish selfie ever
- Topless Missouri woman Jeanne Ouelette chases alleged Peeping Tom Jeremy Bradley
- Former principal John Ward arrested after his former student, 16, 'says he's the father of her baby'
- Oklahoma Teen Stetson Johnson beaten, shocked and forcibly tattooed on his forehead by sadistic gang
- Caran Johnson accidentally live tweets husband's fatal car crash
- Beaten, starved, gang-raped and 'forced to give birth': Nigel Brennan and Amanda Lindhout's horrific ordeal as hostages in Somalia
- Woman branded 'Half-Ton Killer' Mayra Rosales loses 600 lbs
- Black North Carolina pastor to church volunteers: "Only white people" at front door of church
- Amy Senser: Ex-NFL star's sobbing wife sentenced to 41 months prison for killing man in hit-and-run
- Foster child found chained to porch in North Carolina with dead chicken around his neck
- Let’s hope this Family Guy ‘RIP Brian Griffin’ tattoo isn’t real
- Secret black love child of segregationist Senator Strom Thurmond dies at age 87
- Thieves steal risqué calendars, leave protest signs
- Orthodox Jewish man covers himself in PLASTIC BAG during flight
- Two skydivers killed after colliding midair and plummeting to ground in Arizona
- Actress sues doctors for posting drunk pictures of her on Facebook
- 'She's got Tourette's': Lawyer for 'hiccup girl' charged with murder says he'll use syndrome as her defence
- Black robbers masquerade in white fright in New York
- California man murdered 'while trying to sell PlayStation 4'
- High school teacher Carly McKinney, 23, 'tweeted nude photos of herself, called her students JAIL BAIT and talked about getting high'
- Harriet Deison: Pastor's wife, 65, buys pistol from gun shop and shoots herself dead in the parking lot
- Breast cancer survivor says New York Times pic of her breast 'not cheap
- $250 million settlement: billionaire Stewart Rahr hit with massive divorce payout
- Cancer patient Joe Jaramillo in surgical mask mistaken as bank robber
- Connecticut man Eduardo Montanez used electric dog collar on nine-year-old child
- Drunk hotel guest climbs into 12,000 litre aquarium for a swim
- Charges dropped for UVA student Elizabeth Daly in water-buying incident
- Jack Schaap: Megachurch pastor fired after picture of him kissing 16-year-old girl is found on his phone
- Pervert Pastor James Harris Found Guilty of Sex Acts swallowed mints, not pills, test shows
- School principal Rachel Escobedo charged after being busted with crystal meth, painkillers and a stolen loaded gun
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|