Jarrod Wyatt Trial: Mixed-Martial Artist Who Ripped Heart, Tongue Out of Friend Pleads Guilty
A northern California man accused of ripping out the heart and tongue of a friend after the two had taken hallucinogenic drugs has pleaded guilty to murder, four days before his case was set to go to trial.
Jarrod Wyatt, 29, of Crescent City, Calif. accepted a plea deal in which he will serve a 50-years-to-life prison sentence in the March 2010 death of his sparring partner, 21-year-old Taylor Powell, Del Norte County prosecutors told The Associated Press.
"The earliest he'll be able to see a parole board is 2062," District Attorney Jon Alexander told the AP. "We saved Taylor's family the agony from reliving the incident at the trial."
Police officers discovered Wyatt naked and covered in blood head-to-toe when they arrived at a house in Requa, Calif., in March 2010.
Wyatt, a mixed-martial artist, reportedly told the officers, "I killed him." He had cut out Powell's heart and tongue, according to court documents.
Powell's body was found by officers on the couch. His chest had been cut open, while his heart, tongue and the skin of his face was removed. Court documents say that Powell's heart and tongue had been removed while he was still alive.
The two had ingested hallucinogenic mushrooms before Wyatt attacked and killed Powell, according to witnesses. While intoxicated, the two believed that they were involved in a struggle between God and the devil. Powell's heart was discovered by police charred in a wood-burning stove, Dr. Neil Kushner, who performed the autopsy, told The Times Standard.
Previously Wyatt entered pleas of not guilty and not guilty by reason of insanity. After he was evaluated by psychiatrists, a judge ruled him competent to stand trial, the AP reported.
On Thursday night, Alexander and Wyatt's attorney, James Fallman, reached a deal in which Wyatt pleaded guilty to first-degree murder involving mayhem. Fallman said that Wyatt didn't want to testify at trial and he didn't want his family to testify.
"We looked for an agreement that would at least give him the opportunity to be paroled someday," Fallman told the AP. "As bad as 50 years to life sounds, it's better than life without the possibility of parole."
Wyatt is scheduled to be officially sentenced Oct. 4.
- Teen battling school board over whether her 22-year-old boyfriend will be allowed at the high school prom
- Southern Charm finale introduces Thomas Ravenel and Kathryn Dennis' baby girl
- EXCLUSIVE: "Brothers Forever" co-author discusses upcoming book release
- La Balade Des Gnomes: World's wackiest hotel where you can spend the night in a Trojan horse, a troll's lair and even sleep with a mermaid
- Chicago man Christopher Kaelin wins same lottery three times in three weeks
- The dog with a thousand hilarious faces who LOVES to play fetch
- Woman gives birth to 'baby with two heads'
- Sign calls candidate for school board president 'chicken'
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy condemned for racist remarks
- Is this Miley Cyrus' worst Instagram offering ever?
- Facebook users duped by missing Malaysia Airlines spam
- Vinay Pochampally 'groped sleeping woman's breast for FIVE MINUTES' on British Airways flight from London to San Francisco
- Abercrombie & Fitch finally says sorry for fat comments
- Texas dad shot dead boy, 17, after catching him in bed with daughter
- News anchor gets shock as earthquake hits live TV studio
- Ukraine crisis breakthrough as Sergey Lavrov says diplomats agree to protect people's rights
- New York Yankees pitcher Michael Pineda ejected for ball tampering in Boston
- Builder survives after steel rod pierces through his skull in window fall
- ‘Ghost’ caught on film in stadium in La Paz, Bolivia
- Final Game of Thrones trailer redefines 'overkill'
- Man files lawsuit claiming he is REAL father of cyber-bullying suicide victim Audrie Potts as he tries to join wrongful death lawsuit filed by her family
- Sheriff's deputy 'gunned down his wife and then himself during domestic dispute' with their two young daughters listening in just steps away
- VIDEO: Brush fire near Warm Springs Rd Connecter slows traffic
- Auburn to hold 2014 Drug Take Back event
- HCC to present free program on Eufaula’s Textile Mill Heritage
- Ryan Gosling's violent new film booed at Cannes
- Romney attends fight between Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez in Las Vegas
- Mega Millions lottery winner Holly Lahtiand and estranged husband's violent past
- WikiLeaks 'traitor' Bradley Manning wants to be a woman
- Father, daughter arrested after 6-year-old found living in filth
- Georgia Tech student Saamar Akhshabi dies from injuries after setting himself on fire last month
- Principal Kelvin Griffin resigns after allegations of affair with teacher, drugs on campus
- Giant python swallows family's pet dog
- Chris Brown kicked out of rehab, sent to jail
- What would Superman wearing a GoPro look like? Pretty cool, actually
- Chinese internet company Alibaba Group is set for listing on US stock exchange
- ‘Two and a Half Men’ star Angus T. Jones has criticised the sitcom again
- Justin Casquejo, 16, sneaks past sleeping guard to top of 1 World Trade Centre
- Video: Grandmother survives being run over twice in horror crash
- Beyoncé tops Time’s list of 100 most influential people of 2014
- Facebook buys fitness app Moves
- Yahya Abdi had discovered his father 'had lied she had died in rocket attack'
- New gun law worries police, business owners
- Missing MH370 report to be released 'next week'
- Lanett teen arrested in connection to 2013 traffic accident
- Suspect identified, murder warrant issued in Seale, Ala. homicide investigation
- Fort Benning program thrives during nationwide Army cuts
- Bette Midler Rumor: Actress May Appear On ‘Glee’ As Celebrity Guest
- Delaware student Devon Gluck gives back $1,800 after ATM mistake
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|