Jarrod Wyatt Trial: Mixed-Martial Artist Who Ripped Heart, Tongue Out of Friend Pleads Guilty
A northern California man accused of ripping out the heart and tongue of a friend after the two had taken hallucinogenic drugs has pleaded guilty to murder, four days before his case was set to go to trial.
Jarrod Wyatt, 29, of Crescent City, Calif. accepted a plea deal in which he will serve a 50-years-to-life prison sentence in the March 2010 death of his sparring partner, 21-year-old Taylor Powell, Del Norte County prosecutors told The Associated Press.
"The earliest he'll be able to see a parole board is 2062," District Attorney Jon Alexander told the AP. "We saved Taylor's family the agony from reliving the incident at the trial."
Police officers discovered Wyatt naked and covered in blood head-to-toe when they arrived at a house in Requa, Calif., in March 2010.
Wyatt, a mixed-martial artist, reportedly told the officers, "I killed him." He had cut out Powell's heart and tongue, according to court documents.
Powell's body was found by officers on the couch. His chest had been cut open, while his heart, tongue and the skin of his face was removed. Court documents say that Powell's heart and tongue had been removed while he was still alive.
The two had ingested hallucinogenic mushrooms before Wyatt attacked and killed Powell, according to witnesses. While intoxicated, the two believed that they were involved in a struggle between God and the devil. Powell's heart was discovered by police charred in a wood-burning stove, Dr. Neil Kushner, who performed the autopsy, told The Times Standard.
Previously Wyatt entered pleas of not guilty and not guilty by reason of insanity. After he was evaluated by psychiatrists, a judge ruled him competent to stand trial, the AP reported.
On Thursday night, Alexander and Wyatt's attorney, James Fallman, reached a deal in which Wyatt pleaded guilty to first-degree murder involving mayhem. Fallman said that Wyatt didn't want to testify at trial and he didn't want his family to testify.
"We looked for an agreement that would at least give him the opportunity to be paroled someday," Fallman told the AP. "As bad as 50 years to life sounds, it's better than life without the possibility of parole."
Wyatt is scheduled to be officially sentenced Oct. 4.
A TEXAN woman is facing criminal charges after breaking into the home of her husband's alleged mistress last weekend and creating chaos. Angela Siler-Fisher, 42, ... Full story
- Shocking! Five-year-old girl finds hidden camera in a Starbucks bathroom
- College student Shirley Ladd slips and falls 60 feet to her death on treacherous trail on Maine island
- Man charged after cops shoot bystanders
- Missouri Women Shelly Lewis, Alicia Binford accused of flashing at Illinois golf course
- 'Wrap your legs around my head': Married Fox weatherman Geoff Fox fired after 'inappropriate' sexting chats with female photographer
- Former principal John Ward arrested after his former student, 16, 'says he's the father of her baby'
- Prison intern Kayla Danielle Davis charged with sexual assault
- Amy Senser: Ex-NFL star's sobbing wife sentenced to 41 months prison for killing man in hit-and-run
- Oklahoma Teen Stetson Johnson beaten, shocked and forcibly tattooed on his forehead by sadistic gang
- Orthodox Jewish man covers himself in PLASTIC BAG during flight
- Woman snaps the most selfish selfie ever
- 'She's got Tourette's': Lawyer for 'hiccup girl' charged with murder says he'll use syndrome as her defence
- Lynsi Torres: Meet America's youngest female billionaire
- Secret black love child of segregationist Senator Strom Thurmond dies at age 87
- Woman branded 'Half-Ton Killer' Mayra Rosales loses 600 lbs
- White House petition against 'hate group' church that planned protest at Sandy Hook vigil gets 250,000 signatures
- Topless Missouri woman Jeanne Ouelette chases alleged Peeping Tom Jeremy Bradley
- Off-Duty Deputy Shot During Fort Bend County Bank Robbery
- Beaten, starved, gang-raped and 'forced to give birth': Nigel Brennan and Amanda Lindhout's horrific ordeal as hostages in Somalia
- Black robbers masquerade in white fright in New York
- 'Hiccup girl' Jennifer Mee found guilty of murder, sentenced to life in prison without parole
- Bullied Utah Boy David Phan, 14, kills himself outside of junior high school in front of other students
- Drunken woman Kristine Johnson, 20, found wandering college campus parking garage with no underwear on
- Black North Carolina pastor to church volunteers: "Only white people" at front door of church
- Douglas Reddish: Man who knocked out a 'ranting and racist' New York man tried to HELP him at first
- Loving Family: Man 'had sex with his sister-in-law so that she could get pregnant rather than getting IVF treatments'
- Charges dropped for UVA student Elizabeth Daly in water-buying incident
- Stunned parents pull FEATHER from baby's neck from what they thought was a pimple
- Breast cancer survivor says New York Times pic of her breast 'not cheap
- Caran Johnson accidentally live tweets husband's fatal car crash
- Thieves steal risqué calendars, leave protest signs
- Florida woman Rashia Wilson who boasted she was the 'Queen of IRS tax fraud' on Facebook gets 21 years
- California man murdered 'while trying to sell PlayStation 4'
- Two skydivers killed after colliding midair and plummeting to ground in Arizona
- Lake Norman High School Racy Yearbook Photo, ‘Accidental’ or ‘Illusion’?
- Thomas Liming, 21, charged in brutal murder of 'best friend' Kyle Underhill
- Let’s hope this Family Guy ‘RIP Brian Griffin’ tattoo isn’t real
- Maine Woman Chaka Coleman Charged With Dragging Man With Car
- California father Kyle Fortunato impaled by glass trying to climb into locked apartment
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|