High school student Courtni Webb, 17, suspended for writing a poem about Sandy Hook shooter
A 17-year old high school student has been suspended for a poem she wrote about the mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School.
Courtni Webb wrote the poem in a personal notebook about Adam Lanza and what she felt were his reasons for the mass murder at the Connecticut school earlier this month.
The contents of the poem prompted the school officials at the Life Learning Academy on Treasure Island, San Francisco, to suspend her.
'I understand the killings in Connecticut. I know why he pulled the trigger,' wrote Courtni Webb.
'Why are we oppressed by a dysfunctional community of haters and blamers?'
The poem was found in a personal notebook of Courtni's by a teacher, reported examiner.com.
Causing controversy: 'I understand the killings in Connecticut. I know why he pulled the trigger,' wrote Courtni Webb in a poem
Action: The Life Learning Academy, a a 60-pupil vocational school for students, suspended Courtni after reading the poem
Courtni, who writes 'all types' of poetry to express herself, told Today that she was just trying to express 'her belief that tragedies in Sandy Hook happen because people feel helpless.'
She says in the past she has handed in poems dealing with dark issues and has not experienced any problems.
Her poems are a therapeutic way of expressing herself, explained the student, and should not be over-analysed.
Outraged: 'I feel like they're over reacting. Why? Because my daughter doesn't have a history of violence. She didn't threaten anybody,' said her mother, Valerie Statham, left
'For example, the only person I can think of would be like Stephen King. He writes weird stuff all the time. That doesn't mean he's gonna do it or act it out,' said Webb.
'I feel like they're over reacting. Why? Because my daughter doesn't have a history of violence. She didn't threaten anybody. She didn't threaten herself. She simply said she understood why,' said her mother, Valerie Statham.
The San Francisco Unified School District are currently deciding about Courtni's future at the school and if she poses genuine threat to the safety to her fellow students.
But for now, she is suspended until further notice.
- 'Baby Veronica' to stay with birth father for now: Oklahoma high court
- Judge orders Ohio man Richard Dameron to wear 'idiot sign' after police threats
- Florida family finds $300,000 worth of sunken treasure
- Federal jury rules it is illegal to use the N-word while at work - even if you're black
- Entire staff quit in epic sign to boss
- NY Man Roman Pirozek decapitated by remote-controlled toy helicopter
- Official: Ariel Castro dead after suicide
- Black North Carolina pastor to church volunteers: "Only white people" at front door of church
- Real estate agent posts controversial ad with scantily clad women
- Man tries to rob veteran soldier, loses badly
- Connecticut home invasion killer: 'I was nice to them ... then snapped''
- World's largest Ferris wheel in Las Vegas a show-stopper
- Traffic Cop Found Guilty Of Manslaughter For Shooting Man He Says He Meant To Tase
- Four Hurricane Katrina police officers facing death penalty after they 'gunned down two people in storm chaos'
- Driver flees after eight are killed when car ploughs into crowds at California off-road race
- 'Dora the Explorer' Says Nickelodeon Ripped Her Off
- Charlie Rangel Charged With Ethics Violations
- Obama Calls Shirley Sherrod, Expresses 'Regret'
- Handwriting on 'am sorry' note could be mom's, not teen's
- New York City settles for $7.15M in Sean Bell police shooting
- 'Petite' woman thrown off plane to make way for obese teenager who needed two seats
- Pictured for the first time: All ten Russians who made up U.S. spy ring
- President Obama tackles the big issues on The View.... Snooki, Li-Lo and Mel Gibson
- Texas Man Exonerated Of Rape By DNA Evidence Freed After 27 Years In Prison
- Serial stabber Elias Abuelazam nabbed trying to flee country: cops
- Wyclef Jean vows to allow dual citizenship for Haitians if elected as president
- Texas Jails Man For Life After 9th Drunk Driving Offence
- Craigslist Killer, Philip Markoff Found DEAD, Commits Suicide In Jail Cell
- Nickelodeon fires back at 'Dora the Explorer' teen Caitlin Sanchez suit: Pay fine, but her voice not
- The Most Powerful Black Women in the World
- List of dangerous Zipcodes in America
- 25 most dangerous neighborhoods 2010
- Jailed for 40 years, the two teenage boys who executed a 'trusting' classmate.
- Singer in Germany's top girl band facing jail as she admits having sex with men without telling them she had HIV
- Flight attendant takes baby girl away from mother who slapped her child in the face onboard a plane
- Wyclef Jean Hiding In 'Secret Location' After Death Threats
- Wyclef not listed as Pres. candidate in Haiti's election
- Muslim Cab Driver STABBED In New York In Apparent Hate Crime
- Arizona shooting: Christina-Taylor Green's parents reveal her pride at being born on 9/11
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|