Soldiers Sebastian Gomez, Christopher Blackett Charged With Murdering 17-year-old
Two Fort Bragg soldiers were charged with first-degree murder after a teenager's body was found dumped in woods near his hometown, authorities said Friday.
Army Private Sebastian Gamez, 20, of Hidalgo, Texas, and Specialist Christopher Blackett, 20, of Vista, California, were each charged with first-degree murder and disposing of a corpse, the Harnett County Sheriff's Office said in a statement.
Both men lived at the same Spring Lake address and were being held without bond at the county's jail, the sheriff's office said. Spring Lake is a town of about 8,000 residents less than five miles from Fort Bragg.
Murder suspects: Army private Sebastian Gomez, 20 (left), and Specialist Christopher Blackett, 20 (right), have been charged with murder
Both paratroopers worked as truck drivers and are members of Alpha Company, 82nd Brigade Support Battalion, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne spokesman Staff Sgt. Andrew Alfano said.
The body of Vincent Carlisle Junior, 17, was found on Thursday afternoon, almost four days after he left his home Sunday night, family members said.
Blackett and Gamez had moved in next door about six months ago and had played basketball with Carlisle on occasions.
'The guys were friends with the family over here and so we don't know what happened, what transpired between Sunday and today,' Carlisle's uncle Clarence Gaddy told The Fayetteville Observer. 'This is surprising to everyone.'
'Vincent was a good kid: happy, jolly,' said Pamela Marks, a family friend who answered the door at Carlisle's home. 'It's just senseless.'
Shawn Chavis, a cousin of Carlisle's, said the family was at a loss to explain what had happened, and that no one knew of any disagreement or bad blood between the teenager and his neighbours.
Located in a quiet cul-de-sac off busy Bragg Boulevard, Carlisle's home stands about 20 feet from where the soldiers were living.
A basketball hoop stands in Carlisle's back yard, testament to his dreams of playing for the University of North Carolina one day.
The neighbourhood is full of rental properties, and it's common for people to come and go, neighbours said. No one who answered their door in the neighbourhood today said they knew the soldiers.
Carlisle had attended Overhills High School in Spring Lake but transferred to a school about 30 miles north because he wanted to break out of a social circle that didn't value education, said Melanie Stewart, principal of Johnathan's House Christian School in Fuquay-Varina.
Carlisle was entering his senior year of school, and was planning to tour the UNC campus in Chapel Hill this week, Stewart told The Associated Press.
Carlisle had poor grades upon entering her school, but Stewart said he rapidly improved once he was out of a peer group she said was hostile to education. She plans to present his family with a posthumously-awarded diploma and graduation cap and gown.
'He was trying to change,' Stewart said. 'He said, "I want to show my mum. I want to show everyone I can do this."'
'He knew he didn't belong with a crowd that wasn't going anywhere, but he did not know how to break away from it either,' Stewart told WRAL-TV. 'It's important to me that people know that Vincent Carlisle was a very intelligent young man, and he had dreams, and he had plans.'
She added: 'I've been doing this for 22 years and I've never lost a student. Every day when he'd leave me, he'd go back into that neighbourhood. It was the neighbourhood that got him.'
- 'They had robbed my family': Widow's anguish as three teens indicted for killing married father of two on son's birthday after he willingly gave the muggers his wallet
- Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall's brother Mark Shand in critical condition after fall outside NY club
- Heartbreaking farewell video Maddie Yates, 16, posted to YouTube before suicide
- Teacher Saralyn Gayle Portwood arrested for inappropriate relationship with student
- Zoo Atlanta has warthog births for spring
- Parents of school employee who reported coworkers were stealing to buy meth seek FBI probe over his 'suicide'
- Tobias A. Bowen caught in Britain
- She really WAS pregnant! Southern Charm's disgraced South Carolina politician and much younger girlfriend DID have a baby despite show's pregnancy scare false alarm
- Oprah Winfrey's bitter stepmother Barbara in explosive first-ever interview
- 'Sizzurp' cough syrup used by Justin Bieber and Lil' Wayne has been pulled off the market amid manufacturer fears it's being abused as a drug
- Paige Laurie divorce get ugly as she sues Bo Dubbert for stealing from her
- Adam Pearson hopes to beat prejudice after Under The Skin
- Aspiring model Chelsea Gerrish, 20, killed in horrific road rage crash after being rammed head-on by father-of-three
- DeKalb high school basketball player Terrell Coleman dies
- DeKalb mom Meriel Bemis charged in toddler's death
- Sean Studler, 17, dragged by train and killed 'was wearing headphones'
- ATM stolen in smash-and-grab at Mall at West End
- A gentleman is always on time and makes love on his elbows... but doesn't tweet or own a cat: Country Life reveal the ten dos and don'ts of the 'Gentlemanly Commandments'
- Police arrest Woodstock man Anthony Couse for making car bomb sign
- Gorgeous George... The baby fashion icon: How Prince's outfits have sparked a rush to the shops from ambitious parents
- Henry County teen wont give up fight to cure cancer
- Father, daughter arrested after 6-year-old found living in filth
- Principal Kelvin Griffin resigns after allegations of affair with teacher, drugs on campus
- Grand jury rules shooting not authorized
- Elementary school principal John McGill busted in child sex sting
- QVC queen Lisa Robertson lives in fear after having FOUR stalkers
- Mother fighting to get baby back from son of former mayor of Oklahoma City claims she was deceived into giving him up for adoption
- Manchester High evacuated over 'text message' bomb threat
- Georgia Tech student Saamar Akhshabi dies from injuries after setting himself on fire last month
- South Korean plastic surgery so good people need CERTIFICATES to prove who they are
- Is THIS the Loch Ness Monster? Satellite image on Apple's Maps software may finally have solved the mystery of Nessie
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook
- Prank Justin Beiber protest draws attention in Buckhead
- Dr. Zyad Younan refuses to pay $135k strip club bill because he claims he was 'drugged'
- Governor to sign controversial gun bill into law
- Jennifer Lopez suffers embarrassing wardrobe malfunction live on German TV
- Duke and Duchess learn to DJ: William and Kate hit the decks in Adelaide as they visit suburb named after the Queen
- Accused murderer wants 'murder' neck tattoo removed before his trial
- Henry Co. teenager working on cancer cure
- Nolana Griffin sentenced to 25 years 'for having sex with 4 students ages 15 to 17'
- Meet 12 girls 'duped' by show which promises chance to marry Prince Harry
- Time Magazine says Columbus residents are "terrified", Mayor Tomlinson responds
- City inspects pipelines after sinkholes occur
- Outrage over Georgia deputy sheriff Chad Palmer who dressed in blackface as an inmate 'picking cotton' for Halloween party
- Man back in jail on rape charges after previous peeping tom arrest
- Al Gore's youngest daughter Sarah, 35, gets remarried under an old pine tree in casual outdoor service in California
- Former Fortune 500 exec Robert Dellinger charged with murder
- Obama goes golfing instead of attending aunts funeral
- Five-year-old starved in closet Jordan Bleimeyer pictured on road to recovery
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|