South Dakota bar owner Werner Fajardo charged with raping 3 girls
The shots of alcohol and mixed drinks began flowing in the early morning hours. Three friends — two 14-year-olds and a 12-year-old — were supposed to be babysitting over a Saturday night. Instead, police say, they met up with a bar owner, who drove them to his closed tavern and began pouring them drinks — vodka shots, orange juice and vodka, vodka and coke and energy drinks.
Two of the girls say they got sick, and all three say they either passed out or fell asleep at the bar.
That's when, according to prosecutors, 34-year-old Werner Fajardo raped each of them. Fajardo, who owns and operates a bar in the South Dakota city of Huron, was charged with six counts of rape and three counts of giving alcohol to minors. He was released after posting a $10,000 cash bond.
A week later, the Huron Police Department conducted its first-ever alcohol compliance check of the El Cuervo bar. When police discovered 11 minors inside, Fajardo was arrested a second time and charged with violating beverage laws, five counts of furnishing alcohol to a minor and allowing people under the age of 21 on the premises.
Fajardo, who has not publicly discussed the cases, pleaded not guilty to all the charges during an arraignment on Dec. 20 and requested jury trials in both cases. He is being held on $150,000 bond. Fajardo's lawyer has not responded to repeated requests for comment.
City leaders have scheduled a public hearing Friday to consider whether to recommend that the state Department of Revenue revoke or suspend Fajardo's liquor license.
El Cuervo, located on the first floor of a two-story building along one of Huron's main streets, regularly posts signs promoting a teen night, said Sheila Moore, manager of Homecare Services, an independent living agency next door.
"I questioned how they were able to have teen night in a bar," she said. "We saw teenagers go in and out."
According to police, Fajardo exploited an outdated ordinance that allowed 18- to 21-year-olds in an establishment serving alcohol if it was designated as a dance hall. City records show Fajardo applied for the dance hall license in June 2010, and it took effect two months later. The ordinance was repealed soon after, but El Cuervo apparently still welcomed minors.
It was through the teen nights that Fajardo met the girls, said Michael R. Moore, Beadle County's state's attorney.
Police said until Fajardo's arrest they had no knowledge of underage drinking or any other crimes at the bar, said Sgt. Brandon Neitzert, spokesman for the Huron Police Department. He said police have not regularly conducted alcohol compliance checks at bars around town for years.
"Obviously we were missing some things. Whether or not it could have been caught with compliance checks at El Cuervo, we'll never know," he said, adding that the department is planning to increase police presence at bars.
There's no sign marking El Cuervo anymore — neighbors say someone took it down in the middle of the night a few weeks ago — and the building is locked, but remnants of the bar and club remain. An unlit neon Bud Light sign hangs inside the window, while a faded red canopy with yellow stenciled letters advertising "bar," ''Latino" and "baile" — the Spanish word for dance — remains in front of the red-brick building. Police say it was the only establishment licensed as a dance hall in Huron, a town of about 13,000 people 120 miles northwest of Sioux Falls
Sheila Moore, who is not related to the state's attorney, wasn't working when the bar was open during the weekends, but said she often saw the leftover signs of raucous times — broken glass, blood on the bar's windows and beer bottles — when she arrived to work on Mondays.
Fajardo, who authorities say lives in Sioux Falls and traveled to Huron on the weekends to run the bar, is charged with first-degree and third-degree rape for the alleged attack on the 12-year-old girl, and counts of third-degree rape and fourth-degree rape for each of the alleged attacks on the 14-year-old girls. If convicted of first-degree rape, he could be sentenced to up to life in prison.
According to court documents, after drinking several mixed drinks and vodka shots, the three girls passed out or became so groggy, they felt as if they couldn't move. Fajardo allegedly touched one of the girls' genitals. A second woke up and found Fajardo pulling up her underwear and pants and saw a condom wrapper on the table next to her, authorities say. The 12-year-old told police she awoke with memories of Fajardo having sex with her.
That was Oct. 30. It wasn't until one of the 14-year-olds told her parents on Nov. 11 about the alleged rape that authorities began to uncover allegations of underage drinking and sexual assaults at El Cuervo. Police questioned the girl's friends as potential witnesses — and heard two of them say they had been assaulted the same night, according to Moore, the prosecutor.
"They all told a similar story of what happened that night — that they drank this alcohol and then passed out. They all had similar memories of what happened, but none of them were able to say what happened to the other person," he said.
The girls were examined by Child's Voice, a Sioux Falls organization that conducts examinations and interviews of children in such cases. Investigators are still trying to determine if the girls had been drugged, but Moore, the state's attorney, said too much time had passed for physical evidence.
Fajardo is also charged with sexual contact with a person incapable of consenting and sexual exploitation of a minor for two alleged incidents in September involving different victims that were uncovered after the original three girls spoke with police.
His trial on the six rape charges, various sexual assault charges and furnishing alcohol to minors is set for March 28. He will be tried on the beverage law violation on Feb. 23.
"It's not good. I have two daughters. I'm really offended," said Jim Brockhoft, the owner of an audio and video store across the street from the building that houses El Cuervo.
Other neighbors say they had heard talk that illegal activity was taking place at El Cuervo but didn't have proof.
"I've heard rumors there were minors," said Sue Harrington, who works at a bar across the street from El Cuervo. But, she added, "you hear rumors all the time."
- Deputies perform "pit maneuver" to end chase
- Prison intern Kayla Danielle Davis charged with sexual assault
- Atlanta City Council looks at donating tax money to charity
- New Jersey Governor Chris Christie in Atlanta
- Magistrate: Drunken driver Tommie Robinson Jr wrecked going over 100 mph, killing passenger
- Is this the most sexist TV program in history? Chat show where women strip off as two men critique their naked bodies
- Florida man's smartphone takes a bullet for him
- Man (or Superman?) survives being hit by train traveling 110 mph
- Sailor from Oregon Jonathon Gibson killed in Red Sea helicopter crash
- CNN anchor Deborah Feyeric claims meteor hurtling toward Earth could be a result of global warming
- Mountain biker rockets down ski slope at 135 mph
- Christopher P. Dona named as Army Ranger killed in parachute mishap
- 1,000 mph car with Bloodhound rocket fired for first time (video)
- Bruce Lee didn't drink, but CGI Bruce Lee is in this liquor ad
- Nike’s Sexist “Gold Digging” Shirt Under Fire
- Stern family plane crash: Three killed after homemade plane crashes into nature preserve
- Meet Colonel Meow, the world's hairiest cat
- Lady Gaga 'dumped' by boyfriend as he can't handle her alter-egos
- Atlanta middle school principal resigns following report
- Some UGA students calling for a change with arch ceremony
- Pregnant weightlifter just two weeks away from giving birth provokes online storm
- President Obama catches fainting pregnant woman
- Jennifer Lopez suffers embarrassing wardrobe malfunction live on German TV
- RSS Syndication
- 'Deadliest known substance kept secret' - botox super-toxin
- US Navy's controversial Zumwalt destroyer to hit the water for first time
- Two teens critical after plummeting 400ft down sheer granite rockface at Stone Mountain Park
- Buyers of Dell's new Latitude 6430u Ultrabook complain it smells of cat urine
- Rebel Wilson busted whilst making off with buffet
- 'Mars Needs Moms' review: A charming, subversive, minor addition to CGI family film club
- Cops: Wife Kia Jeffries kills former pro boxer Earnest Abdul-Mateen in self-defense
- James Fortune to perform at free concert
- Gunmen throw grenades at mall in Nairobi, Kenya
- Why doesn't Evan Gattis catch for Julio Teheran?
- Jeremiah Fogle, 57, killed wife Theresa Brown and shot 2 pastors
- Megachurch pastor bishop eddie long denies sexual relationships but admits: 'I told them to call me Daddy'
- Fayette assistant principal Darren Handley accused of stealing money
- Body of girl, 10, found badly burned in Atlanta trash can as her father is arrested
- New episodes of Family Guy and American Dad pulled
- Britney's Spears suffers from scaly feet
- Off-Duty Atlanta Police Officer Michael Awe Found Dead
- Louisa Ball: Real-life Sleeping Beauty who sleeps for two weeks at a time
- Antonio McDyess Buzzer Beater: Spurs Beat Lakers With Last-Second Tip-In (VIDEO)
- Principal Kelvin Griffin resigns after allegations of affair with teacher, drugs on campus
- Mayim Bialik, Husband Michael Stone Finalize Divorce
- Athens man James Maurice Hood convicted in slaying over painkillers
- Asian giant hornets have killed at least 19 people in China over the last three months
- lagos nigeria 23401 ( Nigerian Dating Scam ) 380
- Pastor Samuel Chapman jailed on child sex charges 79
- Asst. Principal’s Son Chandler Brookins Accused Of Rape In School Bathroom 70
- McDonald's Manager Tiffany Allen Accused Of Punching Customer 68
- Mother Of 5 Wazineh Suleiman Missing After Going To Rent Movie 31
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook 29
- 15-Year-Old Held In Girlfriend Angel Freeman's Killing; Gun Found In Creek 26
- New Mexico pastor Gregory Griego, woman, two girls and a boy shot dead during Saturday night shooting spree 25
- 'Wrap your legs around my head': Married Fox weatherman Geoff Fox fired after 'inappropriate' sexting chats with female photographer 22
- Teen Alex Dahm charged with drug possession 21
- Marietta Teen James Glover to be Tried as Adult in beating of a 94-year-old man 20
- Syfy's new show 'Defiance' sucks 20
- Dekalb County Teen Marquis Overstreet Found Shot, Killed, Stabbed 30 Times 19
- Joyriding teens Dustin Surrett, Tessa Upton nabbed in stolen Jaguar 19
- 17-year-old Quavante Combs drowns in Lake Lanier 18
- Husband James Felio Killed By Police After Fight With Wife 17
- James Taylor Named By Colleagues As Pilot From Cockpit Rant 17
- Babysitter Loni Bouchard 'had sex with boy, 14, she was hired to look after' 16
- Suspect In Double Homicide Michael Ntiamoah Is Federal Officer 15
- Police: Woman talking on cell caused crash killing 2 15
- Teacher Shannon Schmieder Sentenced to 40 Years for Affair with 14 Year Old 15
- Police: Ex-Substitute Rene Frank Pregnant With Student’s Twins 14
- Colin Kaepernick: Biological mother Heidi Russo wants relationship with quarterback son she gave up 14
- Teens Sarah Riffe, Michael Perry killed by Jeep in east Georgia town 13
- Gwinnett, Forsyth teens Brandon Hodges, Christian Walker, killed in wreck 13
- Tennessee woman Neena Costanza charged in death of her baby girl by her boyfriend 13
- Teen Demarquis Elkins Arrested in Georgia Baby Shooting Death 13
- Emma Watson suffers wardrobe malfunction night out 12
- Fleeing Driver Adam Sides Hits Officer Head-On During Chase 12
- Smyrna Police Officer Curtis Clyde Cook Fired After Drug Bust 12
- 16-Year-Old Son Charged In Crash That Killed His Mother 12
- 3 Pedestrians Hit, 2 Dead near Interstate 675 in Stockbridge 12
- Atlanta Woman Lashawna Threatt Dies after Fall from W Hotel Room 11
- Florida Man Steven Cozzie Held In Slaying of Georgia Teen Courtney Wilkes in Florida 11
- PICTURED: The assistant Melissa Nelson fired by dentist because she was 'irresistably attractive' and 'threat to his marriage' 11
- Teens Jekari Strozier, Antonio Pass, Johnathan Anthony, Kemonta Bonds charged in death of Mableton man 11
- Teen Cheyenne Sauls Killed In Crash; 17-Year-Old Driver Charged With DUI 10
- Daytona Woman Katie Burson Dies After House Party Shooting 10
- Florida woman Danisa Landaeta arrested for drawing picture of bomb on friend's bag at Miami International Airport 10
- Cops: Mableton Woman Chakaya Folborg stabs sister to death with steak knife 9
- Atlanta Woman Crystal Cross Alleges Beating From Ga. State Patrol 9
- UPDATE: Teen Terry Johnson, Charged In Murder of Shakira Hudson 8
- LA Fitness Manager Juhahn Belcher 's Death Ruled Suspicious 8
- Newnan officer Josh Keller shoots girlfriend in abdomen 8
- Off-Duty Officer Shoots Teen In Nightclub Parking Lot 8
- Dunkin' Donuts employee Melissa Redmond busted for prostitution; sold sex out of restaurant 8
- Teenage Boy Cody Riddle Drowns In Boone Lake 8
- Female Driver Priscilla Johnson Charged After Hitting 3 Teens with Car 8
- Pedestrian Latara Worthy run over, killed in Union City 8
- Revealed: Dramatic pictures of Trayvon's lifeless body as new evidence shows Zimmerman bleeding with 'broken nose' 8
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|