$38.5 million lotto winner Americo Lopes cheated co-workers out of jackpot, court rules
For most people, sharing a $38.5 million lottery jackpot with five co-workers is a deal they could live with. But it was apparently too much for Americo Lopes, who a jury found guilty of cheating his colleagues out of their rightful share of winnings.
Lopes and his co-workers at a New Jersey construction company took part in a lottery pool going back to 2007. But in 2009, when Lopes discovered he had the winning Mega Millions ticket, he claimed to have purchased the winning numbers on his own, rather than as part of the company pool.
After a unanimous jury decision on Wednesday, Lopes must now pay each co-worker a pretax $2 million from the jackpot, according to a spokeswoman for the Superior Court in Elizabeth, New Jersey.
The Star-Ledger reports that Lopes left the courtroom saying in Portuguese, "they robbed me."
The five former co-workers testified that they gave Lopes money to purchase lottery tickets on the day he purchased the winning ticket. A sixth construction worker who was not in the lottery pool also testified against Lopes. "I have a lot to do," Carlos Fernandez, one of the five plaintiffs, told the Star-Ledger after the verdict was announced.
Still, for all his complaining of being "robbed," it could have been worse for Lopes, who stood to lose up to $20 million of his after-tax $24 million in winnings.
Winning the lottery has been a mixed blessing for a number of past winners. Just last week, a Michigan lottery winner fell under intense scrutiny when it was revealed she was still accepting food stamps despite being a millionaire. The day after Yahoo! News reported on her story, the Michigan Bridge Card program stepped in and removed her from the welfare program.
On the other hand, a number of other lottery winners have voluntarily chosen to share their lottery winnings with family, friends and the less fortunate. Last month, we told you about several repeat Georgia lottery winners who have given away substantial portions of their jackpot winnings.
Winning the lottery can even be fatal in some extreme cases. In 1996, Jeffrey Dampier famously won $20 million in the Illinois state lottery, using some of his money to help family and friends. But when Dampier offered to help his sister-in-law and her boyfriend out financially, they rewarded his generosity by kidnapping and murdering him.
The decision to allow a transgender 45-year-old college student who identifies as a woman but has male genitalia to use the women's locker room has ... Full story
- Steve Crecelius, Father of 6 married for 25 years gets shock of a lifetime: He’s a she
- Naked family prays outside Philadelphia-area school chanting 'God is great'
- Silicon Valley prostitutes use social media and apps for business
- Manhattan nanny Yoselyn Ortega 'who stabbed to death two children in their home' is deemed FIT for trial
- High school teacher Olivia Sprauer loses her job over sexy bikini photos
- Two Barnstable men face drug trafficking charges
- Teacher Marilyn Bart Investigated for Race Conflict
- FAU student Jonatha Carr snaps during lecture on evolution
- Zumba prostitute Alexis Wright had sex with up to FIVE men per day with only 15 MINUTE BREAKS between clients
- Cops: Tennis pro Michael J. Quirke videotaped naked man
- Bullied Utah Boy David Phan, 14, kills himself outside of junior high school in front of other students
- Jaw-dropping 101.73-carat diamond that took 21 MONTHS to polish sells for $26.7million
- Bullet-proof backpacks for Kids: Shops sell record numbers of 'ballistic' Disney Princess backpacks after Sandy Hook massacre
- Mystery of mother and her son, 10, found dead in state park as police refuse to label case a murder-suicide
- Hero hitchhiker Kai wanted for murder
- Michigan woman Donna Marie Hartson, 64, dies while SCUBA diving on popular shipwreck off Florida Keys
- Multimillionaire widow Christine Svenningsen ordered to give portion of $250m estate to adopted Chinese daughter she gave up after ten years
- Zumba instructor Alexis Wright pleads not guilty to turning gym into brothel
- Furious husband finds risquè photos of his wife's literary agent lover on her phone -
- Naked Florida couple Tina Norris, James Barfield arrested after swinger’s party takes violent turn
- Former Miss Nevada Caleche Manos 'forced out of bed naked by armed cops after they kick down her door'
- Fury over Facebook campaign to prove innocence of NY nanny Yoselyn Ortega who 'murdered two children in bath-tub'
- 'Wrap your legs around my head': Married Fox weatherman Geoff Fox fired after 'inappropriate' sexting chats with female photographer
- Inmate sues Taco Bell: Claims Doritos Locos was his idea
- Bishop Larry Trotter: Outrage after picture of Chicago bishop sharing bathtub with granddaughter emerges on Instagram
- High school teacher Carly McKinney, 23, 'tweeted nude photos of herself, called her students JAIL BAIT and talked about getting high'
- Nickelodeon fires back at 'Dora the Explorer' teen Caitlin Sanchez suit: Pay fine, but her voice not
- Science teacher Stacie Halas suspended after colleagues 'find footage of her moonlighting as a porn star'
- Former principal John Ward arrested after his former student, 16, 'says he's the father of her baby'
- Image of ghostly man spotted on Google Earth at remains of village
- Woman eats 5,000 calories each day on fat fetish model diet
- Loving Family: Man 'had sex with his sister-in-law so that she could get pregnant rather than getting IVF treatments'
- Navy SEAL Team Six member dies in free-fall training accident after crashing into another soldier
- Shocking new video shows moment NYPD officer shot pit bull on crowded city street
- Tiffany Six: Porn star teacher loses appeal to return to the classroom
- Porn-addicted judge Joseph Polito who used work computer to view hard-core sex videos is suspended
- Florida man William Martens Crushed by bowling pin machine
- Driver flees after eight are killed when car ploughs into crowds at California off-road race
- Golden Voice beggar 'argued with daughter in LA hotel over claims he had started drinking again'
- 'Wrap your legs around my head': Married Fox weatherman Geoff Fox fired after 'inappropriate' sexting chats with female photographer 18
- James Taylor Named By Colleagues As Pilot From Cockpit Rant 17
- Babysitter Loni Bouchard 'had sex with boy, 14, she was hired to look after' 16
- Daytona Woman Katie Burson Dies After House Party Shooting 10
- Florida woman Danisa Landaeta arrested for drawing picture of bomb on friend's bag at Miami International Airport 10
- Teenage Boy Cody Riddle Drowns In Boone Lake 8
- Dunkin' Donuts employee Melissa Redmond busted for prostitution; sold sex out of restaurant 7
- Motorcycle Plunges Off Route 1, Chelsea Man Cory White Killed 6
- Pharmacy Owner Babubhai Patel Accused Of Fraud Wants Out Of Jail 5
- Pictured: The moment handcuffed woman Danielle Maudsley, was left brain dead after being Tasered for trying to escape police 5
- Glenda Moore: Mother whose boys were swept out of her arms was left screaming on street for 12 hours 5
- Tanya Angus: Woman fighting gigantism dies suddenly aged 34 after growing to nearly 7ft and 400lbs 5
- Couple 'savagely beat son, three, for wetting his pants 4
- Florida woman Natasha Larson posed as husband's ex on Craiglist, posted steamy ads looking for casual sex 4
- Hormiz David, Ninos Yacoub, Ramina Badal Presumed Dead From Yosemite Fall 4
- Philadelphia judge Adam Beloff 'hangs himself after separating from his wife' 4
- Applebee's Waitress Chelsea Welch Fired For Sharing 'I Give God 10%' Tip Receipt 4
- Ohio Gym Teacher Stacy Schuler 'had sex with five students' 3
- Denver: Teens Phillip Abernathy and Connor Greenwall Accused Of Distributing Child Porn 3
- 'Stabbed over $20': Teenager 'killed brother's girlfriend Kamisha Richards over loan for diapers and milk 3
- Teacher, Sandra Hadsock, 64, charged with child abuse For Punching Student 3
- Video shows brutal racist attack on black man James Craig Anderson in Mississippi: prosecutors 3
- Novi Native Jackie Michon Killed In Chicago Accident 3
- Veteran teacher Jerry Buell suspended for gay bashing on Facebook 3
- NY Woman Minhee Cho outraged after Papa John's write racist name on her receipt 3
- Penn Judge Uses Sharia Law, Says Muslims Allowed to Attack People for Insulting Mohammad 3
- Florida Mother Dalina J. Nicholas 'repeatedly sold daughter, 6, for sex in return for drugs' 3
- Teacher Marilyn Bart Investigated for Race Conflict 3
- Revealed: Dramatic pictures of Trayvon's lifeless body as new evidence shows Zimmerman bleeding with 'broken nose' 3
- Pastor Charles Worley delivers shocking sermon calling for extermination of homosexuals 3
- Geoffrey McGann: 'Artist' carrying homemade 'watch bomb' with fuses and circuit board arrested at California airport 3
- Three women diners left furious after their check came with 'FAT GIRLS' written on top 3
- Jacqueline Baffoni: Teacher jokes about stabbing her middle school students with a fruit knife 3
- Bullied teen Baileigh Karam vanishes the same day shocking video of her being brutally attacked at school is filmed and posted online 3
- Bishop Larry Trotter: Outrage after picture of Chicago bishop sharing bathtub with granddaughter emerges on Instagram 3
- Judge bans father-of-four Asim Taylor who owes $100k child support from having any more kids 3
- Pit bull saves woman from fire 3
- Missing Lake Elsinore Mom Tanya Petro's Remains Found 2
- Police shootings in America: Sudden wave sparks fears of secret 'war on cops' 2
- Florida Mother Julie Schenecker shot her two teen children twice in the head 'for being mouthy' 2
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|