$38.5 million lotto winner Americo Lopes cheated co-workers out of jackpot, court rules
For most people, sharing a $38.5 million lottery jackpot with five co-workers is a deal they could live with. But it was apparently too much for Americo Lopes, who a jury found guilty of cheating his colleagues out of their rightful share of winnings.
Lopes and his co-workers at a New Jersey construction company took part in a lottery pool going back to 2007. But in 2009, when Lopes discovered he had the winning Mega Millions ticket, he claimed to have purchased the winning numbers on his own, rather than as part of the company pool.
After a unanimous jury decision on Wednesday, Lopes must now pay each co-worker a pretax $2 million from the jackpot, according to a spokeswoman for the Superior Court in Elizabeth, New Jersey.
The Star-Ledger reports that Lopes left the courtroom saying in Portuguese, "they robbed me."
The five former co-workers testified that they gave Lopes money to purchase lottery tickets on the day he purchased the winning ticket. A sixth construction worker who was not in the lottery pool also testified against Lopes. "I have a lot to do," Carlos Fernandez, one of the five plaintiffs, told the Star-Ledger after the verdict was announced.
Still, for all his complaining of being "robbed," it could have been worse for Lopes, who stood to lose up to $20 million of his after-tax $24 million in winnings.
Winning the lottery has been a mixed blessing for a number of past winners. Just last week, a Michigan lottery winner fell under intense scrutiny when it was revealed she was still accepting food stamps despite being a millionaire. The day after Yahoo! News reported on her story, the Michigan Bridge Card program stepped in and removed her from the welfare program.
On the other hand, a number of other lottery winners have voluntarily chosen to share their lottery winnings with family, friends and the less fortunate. Last month, we told you about several repeat Georgia lottery winners who have given away substantial portions of their jackpot winnings.
Winning the lottery can even be fatal in some extreme cases. In 1996, Jeffrey Dampier famously won $20 million in the Illinois state lottery, using some of his money to help family and friends. But when Dampier offered to help his sister-in-law and her boyfriend out financially, they rewarded his generosity by kidnapping and murdering him.
- Southern Charm finale introduces Thomas Ravenel and Kathryn Dennis' baby girl
- Pictured hours before his fatal slip in New York bar: Camilla's brother Mark Shand, 62, smiling for camera's with his 'secret fianceé, Ruth Powys, 36, and Princess Eugenie
- Inmate Amy Hightower Re-Arrested After Escaping Hospital
- UPDATE: Recorder's Court judge orders Michael Johnson held without bond in Steve Toms' death
- Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall's brother Mark Shand in critical condition after fall outside NY club
- Man demands realtor takes back mansion he leased for knock-down price after discovering it is 'haunted' after gruesome murder took place there
- The dog with a thousand hilarious faces who LOVES to play fetch
- Jennifer Lopez suffers embarrassing wardrobe malfunction live on German TV
- Man buys $27 of bitcoin, now he's a millionaire
- Heartbreaking farewell video Maddie Yates, 16, posted to YouTube before suicide
- 11-year-old boy beaten by grandmother and mother who then POST VIDEO of abuse on Facebook
- Authorities investigate threat at Paulding Co. High
- Controversial pastor Arthur Allen dies in house fire
- Man shot outside South DeKalb Mall
- Teacher Saralyn Gayle Portwood arrested for inappropriate relationship with student
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook
- 'New low' for Joan Rivers as women held captive by Ariel Castro demand apology for Today show joke she made at their expense
- Principal Kelvin Griffin resigns after allegations of affair with teacher, drugs on campus
- Paying tribute to Mr. Awesome: Celebrities pose with self-portrait of boy, 7, who died in freak swimming pool electrocution
- 'They had robbed my family': Widow's anguish as three teens indicted for killing married father of two on son's birthday after he willingly gave the muggers his wallet
- City inspects pipelines after sinkholes occur
- Outrage over Georgia deputy sheriff Chad Palmer who dressed in blackface as an inmate 'picking cotton' for Halloween party
- Father, daughter arrested after 6-year-old found living in filth
- DeKalb mom Meriel Bemis charged in toddler's death
- Georgia Tech student Saamar Akhshabi dies from injuries after setting himself on fire last month
- Ohio teacher fired after telling black student he didn't need another black president after Obama
- Aspiring model Chelsea Gerrish, 20, killed in horrific road rage crash after being rammed head-on by father-of-three
- Chrysler recalling almost 900,000 SUVs after it was found the brakes can become corroded when exposed to water
- The nine annoying personalities you'll find at the gym
- Elementary school principal John McGill busted in child sex sting
- Tobias A. Bowen caught in Britain
- Columbus police make shoplifting arrests at Peachtree Mall
- A playboy and gossip but he never let his beloved sister down: Richard Kay on the Mark Shand he knew
- Police arrest Woodstock man Anthony Couse for making car bomb sign
- Prank Justin Beiber protest draws attention in Buckhead
- Duke and Duchess learn to DJ: William and Kate hit the decks in Adelaide as they visit suburb named after the Queen
- Falcons 2014-2015 schedule released
- Ukraine crisis breakthrough as Sergey Lavrov says diplomats agree to protect people's rights
- One shot, 1 injured in West Midtown robbery
- Dr. Zyad Younan refuses to pay $135k strip club bill because he claims he was 'drugged'
- Charleston carriage incident eerily similar to Savannah's
- Sean Studler, 17, dragged by train and killed 'was wearing headphones'
- Human skeleton found inside pickup truck in Texas lake solves Helen Holladay case
- Oprah Winfrey's bitter stepmother Barbara in explosive first-ever interview
- How female musical tastes change when she is at her most fertile
- Reclusive owner of South Korean ferry dubbed 'the millionaire with no face' is raided by police as it's revealed he once ran a CULT
- Medical Center cutting ties with Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Train commuters run, jump and swing on pole in ‘worst rush hour service ever’
- Is THIS the Loch Ness Monster? Satellite image on Apple's Maps software may finally have solved the mystery of Nessie
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|