George Zimmerman charged with 2nd-degree murder
George Zimmerman, the 28-year-old neighborhood watchman who shot and killed Trayvon Martin on Feb. 26 in Sanford, Fla., has been charged with second-degree murder in the 17-year-old's death. Zimmerman is being held without bail.
"Just moments ago that we spoke with Sybrina Fulton and Tracy Martin, the sweet parents of Trayvon," Angela Corey, the special prosecutor investigating the case, said at a news conference in Jacksonville. "They now know charges have been filed, and that George Zimmerman is in custody."
"We did not come to this decision lightly," she said, declining to discuss specifics of the investigation. "We're law enforcement. We enforce the law."
Zimmerman turned himself in and is in police custody in Florida, Corey said, but would not disclose where he is being held.
According to CNN, Zimmerman had left the state of Florida, but returned when he learned he would be charged. Zimmerman will now be transferred to the Seminole County Jail, Corey said.
The announcement comes a day after Zimmerman's attorneys said that they were dropping the case because their client had stopped communicating with them. (On Sunday, Zimmerman launched a website seeking donations for his legal and living expenses.) According to Corey, Zimmerman had retained new legal counsel "within the last hour."
Zimmerman shot and killed Martin on Feb. 26 in Sanford, Fla., a gated community outside of Orlando. He told police he was attacked by Martin and was acting in self-defense.
Earlier this week, Corey announced the case would not go to a grand jury.
"There's been an overwhelming amount of publicity," Corey said, expressing concern about damage to a potential jury pool. "It's regrettable that so many facts got released and misconstrued."
"Forty-five days ago, Trayvon Martin was murdered," Rev. Al Sharpton said at a separate press conference in Washington, flanked by Martin's parents. "No arrest was made. The chief of police announced after his review of the evidence there would be no arrest. His parents refused to leave it there."
"Tonight," Sharpton continued. "Maybe America can come together and say only the facts should matter, when dealing with a loss of life.
"This is not a night for celebration," he added. "This is a night that shouldn't have happened in the first place."
"It's about justice, justice, justice," Ben Crump, the Martin family's attorney, said. "If we just stand our ground, we can make a difference."
Martin's parents spoke briefly at the press conference.
"We simply wanted an arrest, and we got it," Fulton said. "Thank you Lord. Thank you Jesus ... A heart has no color. It's not white, it's not black--it's red. And I just want to thank you from my heart to your heart."
"We will continue to walk by faith," Tracy Martin said. "And we will march and march and march until the right thing is done."
A TEENAGER who killed four people while driving drunk has been spared jail by a judge who says his rich parents never taught him about ... Full story
- Florida woman Kaelyn Partenza sets fire to ex-boyfriend's home after new girlfriend moved into apartment they shared
- Verna McClain Nurse 'who killed mother and stole baby' in court
- Bill Evans: New York TV weatherman arrested after brawl with wife he's divorcing after 19 years of marriage
- Chicago bartender Jessica Harr fired over racist Facebook rant
- Winter surfers brave negative temperatures to catch the perfect Minnesota wave at peak season
- Glenda Moore: Mother whose boys were swept out of her arms was left screaming on street for 12 hours
- Boy, 10, suspended from school for ‘firing’ imaginary bow and arrow
- Pervert Pastor James Harris Found Guilty of Sex Acts swallowed mints, not pills, test shows
- Prison intern Kayla Danielle Davis charged with sexual assault
- High school teacher Carly McKinney, 23, 'tweeted nude photos of herself, called her students JAIL BAIT and talked about getting high'
- Surprise ending for receipt slur waitress Toni Christina Jenkins
- Christopher Wheeler: Headmaster of $26,000-a-year private school 'tried to flee' after police found pornographic images of boys on his computers
- Couple order McDonald’s breakfast, get served bag of cash
- Rooster Monkburn monkey's toy gun 'a flight risk', says TSA agent
- Revenge porn site operator Kevin Christopher Bollaert charged
- Drunken woman Kristine Johnson, 20, found wandering college campus parking garage with no underwear on
- Police take down sex offender Charles Diorio in standoff
- 'Wrap your legs around my head': Married Fox weatherman Geoff Fox fired after 'inappropriate' sexting chats with female photographer
- Man fired after Facebook post about workplace
- First-grader suspended for 'sexual harassment'
- Arizona man banned from Walmart for life over ad matching
- Sarai Sierra: New York mother 'had sex with man she met on the internet before she went missing in Turkey'
- Mega Millions lottery up to $400 million, 2nd-biggest ever
- Lynsi Torres: Meet America's youngest female billionaire
- Former principal John Ward arrested after his former student, 16, 'says he's the father of her baby'
- Snuggle House that offered hugs and cuddles shuts down after ‘harassment’ from officials
- 42 years in a coma: Longest coma patient ever Edwarda O'Bara passes away
- Lauren Block: Stripper DIES one week after falling head first off gentleman's club balcony during 'lap dance gone wrong'
- Dashcam Shows Chase Before Fatal Ohio Crash
- Brittni Nicole Colleps: Teacher arrested for 'sex with FIVE students during home orgy'
- Yasser Lopez: Teen's skull and brain pierced with fishing spear - and he survived
- Ex-Microsoft manager Vineet Srivastava accused of raping female janitor on Redmond campus
- Beaten, starved, gang-raped and 'forced to give birth': Nigel Brennan and Amanda Lindhout's horrific ordeal as hostages in Somalia
- Woman says 'attacker swung manhood in helicopter motion'
- Salvatore Talluto of Clinton Township Dies after Accident on Party Bus
- Fort Bragg soldier Ruben Fox and wife arrested after having sex with dogs and posting videos of the acts online
- NYPD reveals interactive New York crime map to show city's most dangerous parts
- Stacy L Hopkins charged with having sex with under-age students
- Killer Richard Poplawski given death sentence for shooting dead three police officers
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|