George Zimmerman Makes First Court Appearance
George Zimmerman made his first courtroom appearance since he was charged with the fatal shooting more than six weeks ago of unarmed black teenager Trayvon Martin, as a judge agreed to seal some records in the highly-charged case.
Zimmerman, his head shaved and wearing a close-clipped goatee, was dressed in a dark gray prison-issued jumpsuit and looked intently at the judge throughout the hearing, which marked the beginning of a judicial process to determine whether the killing of Martin constitutes murder.
Zimmerman was charged on Wednesday with second-degree murder.
A deputy sheriff escorts George Zimmerman (2nd R) into the courtroom to make his first appearance on second degree murder charges in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin
In an appearance that lasted less than five minutes, Zimmerman twice said "Yes sir" in addressing the judge in a courtroom at Florida's John E. Polk Correctional Facility.
Judge Mark Herr set formal arraignment for May 29 and agreed to a stipulation by lawyers for both sides to seal some records. The issue of whether Zimmerman would be released on bond was not addressed.
After the hearing, Zimmerman lawyer Mark O'Mara told reporters that he chose not to ask for bail during the hearing because it might "only arouse the fervor" around the case.
Attorney Mark O'Mara (L) looks on George Zimmerman (R) makes his first appearance on second degree murder charges in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin in courtroom J2 at the Seminole County Correctional Facility in Sanford, April 12, 2012
Zimmerman, 28, who is white and Hispanic, has been subjected to death threats and was in hiding from the public for weeks.
The killing of Martin, 17, has set off a firestorm of debate about race relations and self-defense laws, punctuated by a series of demonstrations across the country. Even President Barack Obama commented on the case, saying, "If I had a son, he would look like Trayvon."
O'Mara previously said he hoped the fact of Zimmerman's arrest - the central demand of Martin's parents and others across the country for more than a month - would help to ease the emotional intensity.
At a later date when he is arraigned, Zimmerman will plead not guilty, O'Mara has said. If convicted of second degree murder, he could face up to life in prison.
Until Wednesday, police had declined to arrest Zimmerman, citing Florida's "Stand Your Ground" law, which allows people to use deadly force when they believe they are in danger of getting killed or suffering great bodily harm.
Thousands of people demonstrated in rallies in Sanford and around the nation, demanding Zimmerman's arrest and criticizing the police. Civil rights activists say racial prejudice played a role in Zimmerman's view that Martin looked suspicious and in the police decision not to arrest him.
‘Wow, that is awesome': Murderer Richard Cobb goes out with sarcastic last words as lethal injection takes effect
A Texas inmate was executed Thursday evening for fatally shooting a convenience store robbery-turned-abduction nearly 11 years ago. Richard Cobb, 29, didn't deny using a 20-gauge ... Full story
- Wade McCree: Judge who sent topless picture to married colleague 'got a witness pregnant while presiding over her case'
- Bottle hits singer Toots Hibbert
- Married teacher Carrie Shafer facing sex charges after being caught partially naked with student
- Gretchen Molannen: Woman with sexual arousal disorder that made her orgasm up to 50 times in a row commits suicide
- Couple flies 7,000 miles in wrong direction after airline mix-up
- Hofstra student Andrea Rebello killed by police during break-in
- Milwaukee bra ban is lifted after publicity campaign
- 2 FBI agents killed in training accident in Va.
- 'Wrap your legs around my head': Married Fox weatherman Geoff Fox fired after 'inappropriate' sexting chats with female photographer
- New Yorkers unnerved by voyeuristic photos
- High school teacher Carly McKinney, 23, 'tweeted nude photos of herself, called her students JAIL BAIT and talked about getting high'
- Clinton Shepherd: Man breaks world record by riding ferris wheel for two days
- Tornadoes hit Kansas and Oklahoma sending residents packing
- Naked family prays outside Philadelphia-area school chanting 'God is great'
- Shocking before and after photos show how drug addiction takes devastating toll on faces of users
- Teacher Marilyn Bart Investigated for Race Conflict
- Mistie Atkinson, Mom who made sex tape with son, 16, is jailed for four years
- Loving Family: Man 'had sex with his sister-in-law so that she could get pregnant rather than getting IVF treatments'
- Arizona Teen Kassandra Toruga attacked pregnant friend, tried to cut baby out of her womb
- Bishop Larry Trotter: Outrage after picture of Chicago bishop sharing bathtub with granddaughter emerges on Instagram
- California school bans leggings
- Man finds $4.85 million in cookie jar
- Jaw-dropping 101.73-carat diamond that took 21 MONTHS to polish sells for $26.7million
- Savannah Nash: Girl, 16, killed after 'texting and driving on her first solo drive'
- 19 year-old Akien Scott Id'd as gunman in N.O. parade shootings
- New Jersey Radio Host April Kauffman Found Murdered in Home
- Bear kills, Eats Denali backpacker Richard White in park's first fatal mauling
- Pat Robertson tells man he should move to Saudi Arabia so he can beat his wife
- Inmate sues Taco Bell: Claims Doritos Locos was his idea
- Tanya Angus: Woman fighting gigantism dies suddenly aged 34 after growing to nearly 7ft and 400lbs
- Patricia Krentcil: Tanning Mom child endangerment charges are DROPPED after she took her five-year-old to bronzing salon
- Missouri grandparents who won Powerball reveal how they will spend their $294 million
- 'Can you kill yourself already?' Jessica Laney, 16, hangs herself after internet trolls taunted her and told her to kill herself
- Malcolm Shabazz: Grandson of Malcolm X 'beaten to death in robbery'
- Renowned head of human rights program Rick Halperin 'obsessed with NAZIS and is a sexual harasser'
- Serial hero Richard Herron, 83, accidentally jumps off overpass to his death as he tries to help crash victim
- Woman Killed By Tanker Crash ID'd as 37 yr-old Kristen Ream
- Jean-Sun Hannah Ahn: Beauty queen Miss Seattle criticises city Twitter
- Philadelphia judge Adam Beloff 'hangs himself after separating from his wife'
- 'Wrap your legs around my head': Married Fox weatherman Geoff Fox fired after 'inappropriate' sexting chats with female photographer 18
- James Taylor Named By Colleagues As Pilot From Cockpit Rant 17
- Babysitter Loni Bouchard 'had sex with boy, 14, she was hired to look after' 16
- Daytona Woman Katie Burson Dies After House Party Shooting 10
- Florida woman Danisa Landaeta arrested for drawing picture of bomb on friend's bag at Miami International Airport 10
- Teenage Boy Cody Riddle Drowns In Boone Lake 8
- Dunkin' Donuts employee Melissa Redmond busted for prostitution; sold sex out of restaurant 7
- Motorcycle Plunges Off Route 1, Chelsea Man Cory White Killed 6
- Pharmacy Owner Babubhai Patel Accused Of Fraud Wants Out Of Jail 5
- Pictured: The moment handcuffed woman Danielle Maudsley, was left brain dead after being Tasered for trying to escape police 5
- Glenda Moore: Mother whose boys were swept out of her arms was left screaming on street for 12 hours 5
- Tanya Angus: Woman fighting gigantism dies suddenly aged 34 after growing to nearly 7ft and 400lbs 5
- Couple 'savagely beat son, three, for wetting his pants 4
- Florida woman Natasha Larson posed as husband's ex on Craiglist, posted steamy ads looking for casual sex 4
- Hormiz David, Ninos Yacoub, Ramina Badal Presumed Dead From Yosemite Fall 4
- Philadelphia judge Adam Beloff 'hangs himself after separating from his wife' 4
- Applebee's Waitress Chelsea Welch Fired For Sharing 'I Give God 10%' Tip Receipt 4
- Ohio Gym Teacher Stacy Schuler 'had sex with five students' 3
- Denver: Teens Phillip Abernathy and Connor Greenwall Accused Of Distributing Child Porn 3
- 'Stabbed over $20': Teenager 'killed brother's girlfriend Kamisha Richards over loan for diapers and milk 3
- Teacher, Sandra Hadsock, 64, charged with child abuse For Punching Student 3
- Video shows brutal racist attack on black man James Craig Anderson in Mississippi: prosecutors 3
- Novi Native Jackie Michon Killed In Chicago Accident 3
- Veteran teacher Jerry Buell suspended for gay bashing on Facebook 3
- NY Woman Minhee Cho outraged after Papa John's write racist name on her receipt 3
- Penn Judge Uses Sharia Law, Says Muslims Allowed to Attack People for Insulting Mohammad 3
- Florida Mother Dalina J. Nicholas 'repeatedly sold daughter, 6, for sex in return for drugs' 3
- Teacher Marilyn Bart Investigated for Race Conflict 3
- Revealed: Dramatic pictures of Trayvon's lifeless body as new evidence shows Zimmerman bleeding with 'broken nose' 3
- Pastor Charles Worley delivers shocking sermon calling for extermination of homosexuals 3
- Geoffrey McGann: 'Artist' carrying homemade 'watch bomb' with fuses and circuit board arrested at California airport 3
- Three women diners left furious after their check came with 'FAT GIRLS' written on top 3
- Jacqueline Baffoni: Teacher jokes about stabbing her middle school students with a fruit knife 3
- Bullied teen Baileigh Karam vanishes the same day shocking video of her being brutally attacked at school is filmed and posted online 3
- Bishop Larry Trotter: Outrage after picture of Chicago bishop sharing bathtub with granddaughter emerges on Instagram 3
- Judge bans father-of-four Asim Taylor who owes $100k child support from having any more kids 3
- Pit bull saves woman from fire 3
- Missing Lake Elsinore Mom Tanya Petro's Remains Found 2
- Police shootings in America: Sudden wave sparks fears of secret 'war on cops' 2
- Florida Mother Julie Schenecker shot her two teen children twice in the head 'for being mouthy' 2
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|