George Zimmerman Makes First Court Appearance
George Zimmerman made his first courtroom appearance since he was charged with the fatal shooting more than six weeks ago of unarmed black teenager Trayvon Martin, as a judge agreed to seal some records in the highly-charged case.
Zimmerman, his head shaved and wearing a close-clipped goatee, was dressed in a dark gray prison-issued jumpsuit and looked intently at the judge throughout the hearing, which marked the beginning of a judicial process to determine whether the killing of Martin constitutes murder.
Zimmerman was charged on Wednesday with second-degree murder.
A deputy sheriff escorts George Zimmerman (2nd R) into the courtroom to make his first appearance on second degree murder charges in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin
In an appearance that lasted less than five minutes, Zimmerman twice said "Yes sir" in addressing the judge in a courtroom at Florida's John E. Polk Correctional Facility.
Judge Mark Herr set formal arraignment for May 29 and agreed to a stipulation by lawyers for both sides to seal some records. The issue of whether Zimmerman would be released on bond was not addressed.
After the hearing, Zimmerman lawyer Mark O'Mara told reporters that he chose not to ask for bail during the hearing because it might "only arouse the fervor" around the case.
Attorney Mark O'Mara (L) looks on George Zimmerman (R) makes his first appearance on second degree murder charges in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin in courtroom J2 at the Seminole County Correctional Facility in Sanford, April 12, 2012
Zimmerman, 28, who is white and Hispanic, has been subjected to death threats and was in hiding from the public for weeks.
The killing of Martin, 17, has set off a firestorm of debate about race relations and self-defense laws, punctuated by a series of demonstrations across the country. Even President Barack Obama commented on the case, saying, "If I had a son, he would look like Trayvon."
O'Mara previously said he hoped the fact of Zimmerman's arrest - the central demand of Martin's parents and others across the country for more than a month - would help to ease the emotional intensity.
At a later date when he is arraigned, Zimmerman will plead not guilty, O'Mara has said. If convicted of second degree murder, he could face up to life in prison.
Until Wednesday, police had declined to arrest Zimmerman, citing Florida's "Stand Your Ground" law, which allows people to use deadly force when they believe they are in danger of getting killed or suffering great bodily harm.
Thousands of people demonstrated in rallies in Sanford and around the nation, demanding Zimmerman's arrest and criticizing the police. Civil rights activists say racial prejudice played a role in Zimmerman's view that Martin looked suspicious and in the police decision not to arrest him.
An Oklahoma man took his love of Halloween pranks a step too far when he staged a realistic- looking crime scene in his driveway, complete ... Full story
- Yekaterina Pusepa: Night out drinking ends in bloody murder attempt
- New York man Cory Terry, 33, drops dead after 'drinking Red Bull', family claims
- Rooster Monkburn monkey's toy gun 'a flight risk', says TSA agent
- Beaten, starved, gang-raped and 'forced to give birth': Nigel Brennan and Amanda Lindhout's horrific ordeal as hostages in Somalia
- Florida man Earl Sampson Arrested 62 Times For Trespassing at His Own Job
- Actress sues doctors for posting drunk pictures of her on Facebook
- George Zimmerman's blonde 'babe' by his side when he confronted estranged wife in violent divorce showdown
- World's largest Ferris wheel in Las Vegas a show-stopper
- Texas doctor Angela Siler-Fisher accused of harassing woman she calls 'homewrecker'
- Florida woman Rashia Wilson who boasted she was the 'Queen of IRS tax fraud' on Facebook gets 21 years
- For sale: Man puts motorbike AND wife on Craigslist
- Newlyweds Elytte and Miranda Barbour 'killed for thrills'
- Female hiker Elizabeth Tarpey, 23, dies after falling off trail in Hawaii
- UPS cargo plane pilot, co-pilot die in crash
- Drunken woman Kristine Johnson, 20, found wandering college campus parking garage with no underwear on
- Taylor Dwayne Harris: Son allegedly beat father outside Orlando Dave & Buster's restaurant for having an affair
- Daughter who sent her own father to prison for 40 years after lying that he raped her pleads for his release
- School principal Rachel Escobedo charged after being busted with crystal meth, painkillers and a stolen loaded gun
- Foster child found chained to porch in North Carolina with dead chicken around his neck
- Asiana offers $10,000 to crash victims
- Fort Bragg soldier Ruben Fox and wife arrested after having sex with dogs and posting videos of the acts online
- Female driver in black Lexus tries to ram White House, police chase her towards Capitol building where shots were fired
- Married federal air marshal Adam Bartsch, 28, 'took photos up female passengers' skirts as they boarded plane'
- US Navy's controversial Zumwalt destroyer to hit the water for first time
- Man charged after cops shoot bystanders
- Woman says 'attacker swung manhood in helicopter motion'
- Boy, 10, suspended from school for ‘firing’ imaginary bow and arrow
- Black robbers masquerade in white fright in New York
- Death sentence recommended for Michael Bargo, 21, in murder of teenager Seath Jackson
- Christina West DUI arrest: video shows Tallahassee, Florida, police officers 'break her cheekbone'
- Arizona mother Marilyn Edge 'killed her autistic son, 13, and daughter, 10, and left their bodies in a hotel before trying to commit suicide '
- Shocking image of toddler sipping a Bud Light at Cleveland Browns tailgate goes viral
- Man arguing with ex-wife's boyfriend accidentally shoots own wife
- ANOTHER black Barneys shopper Kayla Phillips, 21, claims she was racially profiled
- Man loses house to tornado...but his PS4 survives
- Thomas Liming, 21, charged in brutal murder of 'best friend' Kyle Underhill
- Woman killed in Arizona spa crash had just switched seats
- Insurance company uses Nelson Mandela’s death to promote itself
- Couple order McDonald’s breakfast, get served bag of cash
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|