Brett McGurk, Obama's Iraq ambassador nominee lands in hot water over racy emails
President Obama’s nominee to be the next ambassador to Iraq has got himself into hot water after racy emails allegedly revealing an affair with a Wall Street Journal reporter while both were in Baghdad were leaked online.
The emails, from 2008, are reportedly between Brett McGurk, a top adviser on Iraq to George W.Bush and Gina Chon, who was covering the Iraq War for the WSJ.
The messages, which have not been verified, show the couple’s banter about McGurk’s ‘blue balls’, ‘hooking up’ for the first time, as well as McGurk joking about divulging information and access to Chon.
The couple are now married. McGurk was married to another woman in 2006, although it is not clear if he was still married at the time of this alleged email exchange with Chon.
The cache of emails surfaced the day before McGurk appeared before a Senate panel on his nomination on Wednesday, although he was not questioned about them then.
They first appeared on photo-sharing site Flickr and were then posted on the blog, Cryptome.
In one email McGurk wrote: 'I had a very good day with the Iraqis — the best yet. Can't tell you about it of course.'
Chon’s reply: 'This is like a journalist's version of blue balls and it's really not fair.'
He fires back: 'Well it's only fair — since I had a very real case of blue balls last night!' He goes onto mention ‘self-healing’ exercises to cure the problem.
In another series of flirtatious exchanges Chon appears to compare news reporters after a scoop to vultures.
He teases: ‘If treated to many glasses of wine -- you could be the chosen vultures.'
Flirtatious: The email exchange, which has not been verified, shows the couple¿s banter about McGurk¿s ¿blue balls¿ and how he can shake off his security so him and Chon can hook up
In one email McGurk seems to boast that he can arrange for her to come to a dinner with a top Iraqi politician: 'I totally have rank to get you in here.' He later changes his mind.
There is no indication, however, of whether McGurk used his position to secure Chon access or provide her with sensitive information.
Other messages seem to show how the couple embarked on their clandestine relationship.
McGurk appears to be trying to shake off his security: ‘I'll provide plenty of warning before coming by. I need to figure out how to lose my goon squad. They tend to mar my most secret and clandestine missions,' he writes in one email.
In another he chronicles how their relationship developed: 'From my first message to you through our Chinese dinner to the blue balls banter and then my coming over to hook up with you for the first time (on June 23 -- a night the world should celebrate). 'I am so f****** smooth!'
Negotiations: While in Baghdad in 2008 McGurk was working on negotiations with the Iraqis over a potential forces agreement which would have left a small U.S. military presence in the country, Chon was reporting on the Iraq War for the WSJ
Following the leaked emails Sen. James Inhofe, R-Oklahoma, who is on the Armed Services Committee, has said that he will not meet with McGurk, as he typically would, the Washington Post reported.
'Senator Inhofe always prefers to meet with nominees personally before giving his support,' said his spokesman, Jared Young. 'In regards to this nominee, Senator Inhofe has heard some concerning issues, and until those issues are cleared up, he will not meet with Mr. McGurk.'
State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said the White House had vetted McGurk before nominating him.
'We consider him uniquely qualified. All of the necessary things were done before his nomination, and we urge the Senate to confirm him,’ she said.
While in Baghdad in 2008 McGurk was working on negotiations with the Iraqis over a potential forces agreement which would have left a small U.S. military presence in the country.
All U.S. troops withdrew from Iraq last year after those talks broke down.
Right-wing blogger Dixon Diaz (pictured) is claiming that the picture he took of President Barack Obama (pictured below) with his hand down the pants of his ... Full story
- Martin Bashir: Someone should defecate in Sarah Palin's mouth
- Delaware state senate nominee Eric Bodenweiser charged with more than 100 counts of child sex abuse
- White Republican Dave Wilson wins election in inner city Houston after PRETENDING to be African-American in campaign flyers
- Son 'Austin 'Gus' Deeds' stabs Senator R. Creigh Deeds, kills himself'
- No zoo for you, kid. The US government shutdown hates children
- First Dog Sunny goes rogue, knocks over child
- Sarah Palin unveils her shocking new skinny figure
- President Obama catches fainting pregnant woman
- Congressional staffer Dianne Reidy goes on bizarre rant about Freemasons and God
- Romney attends fight between Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez in Las Vegas
- Government in danger of default if Congress fails to raise debt ceiling
- President Barack Obama's 'terrorist interrogations' at sea
- Sasha's Basketball Game Attended By President Obama
- Rhode Island ditches Christmas, Atheist Rejoice in 'HOLIDAY' tree lighting
- Gov. Nathan Deal Signs Georgia Congressional Map
- Baracula: Barack Obama as you've never seen him before - as a vampire
- White House spits on GOP's plan to repeal health care reform, Obama vows to veto
- Donald Trump to Arianna Huffington: 'No wonder your husband left you for a man'
- ‘Rent is too damn high’ Candidate Running For NY Mayor
- John Kerry: $250 million to Egypt
- Obama, Putin on very awkward first date
- Illinois GOP leader Jim Allen sends RACIST rant targeting former Miss America
- John Boehner, House speaker, picks RNC cocktail party over Tucson, Arizona shooting memorial
- Teary Rep. Anthony Weiner admits he sexted, tweeted crotch pic in 'Weinergate' expose
- Idaho Senator John McGee facing drunken driving and grand theft charges
- Critics claim stress of leading the country has left President frail and under-weight
- Brett McGurk, Obama's Iraq ambassador nominee lands in hot water over racy emails
- Donald Trump's 'gigantic' announcement: Tycoon offers $5m to charity if Obama releases college records
- 'All white folks are going to hell': Cry of Reverend Joseph Lowery at rally for Obama
- Senators on Tour in Arizona Witness Woman Jumping Border Fence
- Syrian civil war: Sarah Palin says ‘let Allah sort it out’
- Senator Wendy Davis's 11-hour speech helps defeat abortion bill
- Barack Obama, Vladimir Putin smile like they mean it at G20 in St Petersburg, Russia
- Senate panel votes to give President Barack Obama authority to use military force against Syria
- NEWSWEEK Poll: Obama Approval Rating Jumps, Democrats Close ‘Enthusiasm Gap’
- On trial: Tom DeLay is finally getting his day in court five years after being charged with illegally funneling $190,000
- Tea Party candidate outraged after television reporters leave accidental voicemail likening his supporters to child molesters
- FBI Arrests Maryland Politician, Jack Johnson and Wife With $80,000 Hidden In Her Bra
- Velma Hart Laid Off: Woman Who Told Obama Of Financial Fears Loses Her Job
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|