John McCain says Sarah Palin was a 'BETTER candidate' than Mitt Romney
Former Republican presidential nominee John McCain is now on the defensive after he said that during the 2008 campaign he 'thought that Sarah Palin was the better candidate' than Mitt Romney.
Now, considering he is a Romney surrogate, it comes as no surprise that he is backpedaling saying that the quote was taken out of context.
During an interview with Politico earlier Tuesday, the Arizona senator was explaining why he believes- in spite of public illusions to the contrary- that Romney should not be fearful of releasing more tax returns.
When McCain was running for the White House, he and his aides looked over the files of a number of top Republicans- including Romney- and part of that file included over 20 years of tax returns.
During that inspection, McCain said that there was nothing that disturbed him about the returns, but said that he simply decided to select Sarah Palin, the former Governor of Alaska who was only in the midst of her first term at the time, because she was more appealing to them.
When asked by the Politico reporter why he decided against Romney, McCain said: 'Oh come on, because we thought that Sarah Palin was the better candidate.'
'Why did we not take (Tim) Pawlenty, why did we not take any of the other 10 other people. Why didn’t I? Because we had a better candidate, the same way with all the others. ... Come on, why? That’s a stupid question.'
That stupid question is now proving to be a troubling one for McCain, and he has made his feelings about the altered interpretation very clear.
'It’s really getting a little disgraceful, twisting someone’s words when clearly I said and meant that she was the best fit for our campaign,' he told a group of reporters after the initial article ran.
Attributes: A McCain adviser said it was Romney's (right) vast personal wealth that prompted them not to choose him and select Sarah Palin (left) instead)
McCain's former campaign manager Steve Schmidt explained to The Huffington Post that there was nothing wrong with Romney's tax returns, but rather it was his personal wealth that caused hesitation for the McCain staffers during their discussions about the vice presidential pick.
'Senator McCain got caught flat-footed answering a question about how many houses he owned,' Mr Schmidt explained.
'In fact, they were Cindy McCain's properties but that distinction was lost in the political optics and we knew it would be a big liability that the presidential and the vice presidential candidates together owned more than a dozen homes. It was like something out of a Saturday Night Liv' skit. I mean, come on.'
Their thinking appears quite prescient, as one of the biggest criticisms trailing Romney's campaign throughout this year's presidential bid.
Prior ambitions: John McCain ran, and lost, as the Republican presidential candidate in 2008 and many viewed his selection of Palin as damaging
McCain went on to defend Romney's decision not to release any more than two years of tax returns, even though there have been calls for him to do so by major Republican players like Mississippi governor Haley Barbour, former Republican National Committee chairman Michael Steele, and Romney's one-time opponent Senator Ron Paul.
'So if your opponent makes a big deal out of some issue then you’re supposed to do something that no one else has done?' McCain said as justification.
Romney has said that he will not release the returns- and will keep with tradition in doing so- because he doesn't want to add fuel to the potential fire, even though he says that there is nothing illicit involved.
'In the political environment that exists today, the opposition research of the Obama campaign is looking for anything they can use to distract from the failure of the president to reignite our economy,' Romney told The National Review.
'And I’m simply not enthusiastic about giving them hundreds or thousands of more pages to pick through, distort, and lie about.'
Right-wing blogger Dixon Diaz (pictured) is claiming that the picture he took of President Barack Obama (pictured below) with his hand down the pants of his ... Full story
- First Dog Sunny goes rogue, knocks over child
- President Obama catches fainting pregnant woman
- White Republican Dave Wilson wins election in inner city Houston after PRETENDING to be African-American in campaign flyers
- Martin Bashir: Someone should defecate in Sarah Palin's mouth
- Son 'Austin 'Gus' Deeds' stabs Senator R. Creigh Deeds, kills himself'
- Congressional staffer Dianne Reidy goes on bizarre rant about Freemasons and God
- The $105,000 champagne tower featured at lavish Obama fundraiser hosted by Jay-Z and Beyonce
- Sarah Palin unveils her shocking new skinny figure
- Gov. Nathan Deal Signs Georgia Congressional Map
- No zoo for you, kid. The US government shutdown hates children
- President Barack Obama's 'terrorist interrogations' at sea
- Government in danger of default if Congress fails to raise debt ceiling
- Romney attends fight between Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez in Las Vegas
- Anti-Obama billboard in Colorado, blasted by GOP and Democrats, taken down amid death threats
- Rhode Island ditches Christmas, Atheist Rejoice in 'HOLIDAY' tree lighting
- Obama issues pardons to 17 for minor offenses
- Outrage over billboard comparing Obama to Dark Knight shooter
- White House spits on GOP's plan to repeal health care reform, Obama vows to veto
- Illinois GOP leader Jim Allen sends RACIST rant targeting former Miss America
- Have a nice trip, Hillary! Clinton takes a tumble as she boards plane
- Female Iraq War vet Tulsi Gabbard becomes first Hindu elected to Congress
- Rep. Steve Cohen tweets that Cyndi Lauper is 'hot,' then deletes message
- Disgraced politican Anthony Weiner running for NYC mayor
- Obama, Putin on very awkward first date
- Senate panel votes to give President Barack Obama authority to use military force against Syria
- Texas Candidate Blake Farenthold Pictured in pyjamas with a near-naked model
- Deal Honors Georgia Soldiers Killed in 2010
- Michele Bachmann Corn Dog Picture
- Obama Calls Californian Kamala Harris 'Best Looking' Attorney General
- Obama caught with lipstick on his collar
- President Obama flip-flops on gay rights? says he'll repeal 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell'
- 'Don't vote,' Hispanics told in new Republican-funded ad as Obama admits: 'The stakes could not be higher'
- Sarah Palin desecrates Old Glory by signing on the American Flag
- MoveOn Member's Head Stomped On By Rand Paul Supporter (VIDEO) (UPDATED)
- Revealed: The Halloween 'boy scout' who Tea Party darling Christine O'Donnell 'begged to bed'
- Andrew Breitbart website posts cartoon of fat First Lady mocking her anti-obesity campaign
- Vice President Joe Biden compares GOP's budget slashing push with blaming women victims for rape
- Geraldine Ferraro dies: Pioneer was the first female vice presidential candidate in U.S. history
- Ex-Ill. Gov. Rod Blagojevich found guilty; convicted of trying to sell or trade Obama Senate seat
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|