With Romney and Paul Out, CNN Cancels Georgia Debate
A GOP presidential debate planned for the week before Super Tuesday has been canceled after Mitt Romney and Ron Paul said they would not be attending. Rick Santorum’s campaign had also indicated he would likely not be able to attend the debate, which was to have been sponsored by CNN.
The debate would have taken place in Atlanta. Newt Gingrich was the only GOP candidate who still planned to attend when the event was scrapped.
Turning points in Gingrich’s campaign came during two debates in South Carolina last month. He is widely seen as the most effective debater among the current field.
After the news broke Thursday that the Georgia debate would not happen, Gingrich campaign spokesperson RC Hammond tweeted, “Mitt Romney spits in Georgia’s face and cancels Atlanta debate.” Minutes later, he emailed FOX 5’s Chris Shaw, calling Romney’s decision to bow out “puzzling. Here you have a candidate saying, ‘I’m not good enough to vote for,’ but turns around and says to Georgia, ‘You’re not good enough for me to show up and debate.’”
Ron Paul also told organizers Thursday morning he would not attend the debate, and sources say later in the day, Rick Santorum made the same decision.
A spokesperson for the Romney campaign sent FOX 5 the following email: “Governor Romney will be spending a lot of time campaigning in Georgia and Ohio ahead of Super Tuesday. With eight other states voting on March 6, we will be campaigning in other parts of the country and unable to schedule the CNN Georgia debate.”
Even without the debate, Georgia is the biggest delegate prize on Super Tuesday, and it figures to be a hotly-contested race. Romney was in Atlanta last week, and Santorum will be in Cumming on Sunday. Gingrich will be in the Atlanta area over the weekend as well.
- 'I will f***ing destroy you': NY Mayor unleashes expletive-ridden threat against taxi tycoon
- Fox News host Andrea Tantaros: ‘Punch’ Obama voters ‘in the face’
- Anti-war heckler interrupts Obama
- Gov. Nathan Deal Signs Georgia Congressional Map
- Obama Calls Californian Kamala Harris 'Best Looking' Attorney General
- Disgraced politican Anthony Weiner running for NYC mayor
- Boy aged FOUR is elected mayor of Minnesota town after his name was picked out a hat
- Mock Hearing on aliens by former members of Congress
- Syrian civil war: Sarah Palin says ‘let Allah sort it out’
- Obama fires acting IRS commissioner Steven Miller in bid to quell growing anger over Tea Party targeting
- Gabriel Gomez: Ex-Navy SEAL runs for Mass. Senate seat
- Obama blames drugs for part of US-Mexico problems
- Tennessee politician Barry West posts photo of man taking aim with a double-barreled shotgun with outrageous caption
- Top Obama appointees using secret email
- Outrage over billboard comparing Obama to Dark Knight shooter
- First Lady Michelle Obama takes on heckler at fundraiser
- Poll says ex-president Bush ratings up
- 'Obama was born in Kenya and raised in Indonesia and Hawaii': Obama’s literary agent misidentified his birthplace in 1991
- White House Bans Paparazzi Images of Sasha and Malia Obama on Hawaiian Beach
- Sarah Palin unveils her shocking new skinny figure
- Ga. House Passes Change to Sex Offender Law
- 20 details from Maraniss’ ‘Barack Obama: The Story’
- Hacker exposes George W. Bush's nude self-portraits, family info
- The $105,000 champagne tower featured at lavish Obama fundraiser hosted by Jay-Z and Beyonce
- Jill Kelley revealed as woman who complained to FBI about Paula Broadwell in David Petraeus scandal
- Obama, Putin on very awkward first date
- Vice President Joe Biden compares GOP's budget slashing push with blaming women victims for rape
- Tim Pawlenty aide apologises after calling GOP rival Michele Bachmann sexy
- GOP state congressman Scott DesJarlais running pro-life ticket is caught on tape persuading mistress to get an abortion
- New Obama slogan: 'Forward' with an exclamation
- States Mitt must steal from Obama to win the election
- The Racist States of America: Shocking map reveals hateful tweets following Obama's re-election
- Naked Protesters Upset About Budget Cuts To AIDS Program Occupy John Boehner's House Office
- Workers making $30,000 will take a bigger hit on their pay than those earning $500,000 under new fiscal deal
- Obama's budget proposal 'risks future of welfare'
- Alabama lawmaker Joe Mitchell sends shocking racist rant to gun-rights constituent
- Anti-Obama billboard in Colorado, blasted by GOP and Democrats, taken down amid death threats
- Revealed: The Halloween 'boy scout' who Tea Party darling Christine O'Donnell 'begged to bed'
- Georgia Democrat Makes Klan Comment Over Party Switch
- 'Go to hell Barack': Row over Washington Metro ad 3
- Bill O'Reilly goes ballistic on Alan Colmes 3
- Former Ga. Representative Ed Jenkins Dies 2
- Chuck "Looney" Norris Offers Dire Warning For America 2
- Donald Trump's 'gigantic' announcement: Tycoon offers $5m to charity if Obama releases college records 2
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|