Romney Wins Puerto Rico Primary
Mitt Romney scored an overwhelming win Sunday in Puerto Rico's Republican presidential primary, trouncing chief rival Rick Santorum on the Caribbean island even as the two rivals looked ahead to more competitive contests this week in Illinois and Louisiana.
The victory in the U.S. territory was so convincing that Romney, the GOP front-runner, won all 20 delegates to the national convention at stake because he prevailed with more than 50 percent of the vote. That padded his comfortable lead over Santorum in the race to amass the 1,144 delegates needed to clinch the nomination.
Nevertheless, the GOP nomination fight is unlikely to end anytime soon, with Santorum refusing to step aside even though Romney is pulling further ahead in the delegate hunt.
As the day began, Santorum claimed he was in contest for the long haul because Romney is a weak front-runner.
"This is a primary process where somebody had a huge advantage, huge money advantage, huge advantage of establishment support and he hasn't been able to close the deal and even come close to closing the deal," Santorum said. "That tells you that there's a real flaw there."
Yet, Santorum sidestepped when asked if he would fight Romney on the convention floor if he failed before August to stop the former Massachusetts governor from getting the required number of delegates.
Romney, in turn, expressed confidence that he'd prevail.
"I can't tell you exactly how the process is going to work," Romney said. "But I bet I'm going to become the nominee."
Both campaigned in Puerto Rico last week — in a campaign focused on statehood for the U.S. territory — but Romney cut short his trip so he could head to Illinois and Santorum spent Sunday in Louisiana. Illinois, a more moderate Midwestern state, votes Tuesday and is seen as more friendly territory for Romney, while Santorum is the favorite in the more conservative Southern state of Louisiana, which votes Saturday.
After the Puerto Rico victory, Romney had 521 delegates in his camp and Santorum had 253, according to The Associated Press' tally. Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich trailed with 136 delegates and Texas Rep. Ron Paul had 50.
Enrique Melendez, the Republican representative on the Puerto Rican State Electoral Commission, told the AP that Romney "won the Puerto Rican primary by a huge margin and we are granting him the 20 delegates."
At this rate, Romney is on pace to capture the nomination in June unless Santorum or Gingrich is able to win decisively in the coming contests.
Both have said they would stay in the race and perhaps force the nomination to a fight at the GOP's convention in Tampa if Romney doesn't amass enough delegates to arrive with a mandate. That would turn the convention into an intra-party brawl for the first time since 1976.
Even as Santorum declined to commit to forcing a brokered convention, his advisers were working behind the scenes on a plan to persuade convention delegates to switch candidates if the former Pennsylvania senator fails to derail Romney before that.
Romney's aides call this a fantasy scenario even as they try to prevent delegates from defecting.
Half of the states have yet to weigh in on a race with seemingly no end in sight anytime soon. That's prompted fresh speculation within the GOP over whether a contested convention is likely.
Republican National Chairman Reince Priebus insisted that party will have a nominee sooner rather than later.
"We're only at halftime," Priebus said. "I think that this process is going to play itself out. We will have a nominee, I think, fairly soon — one, two months away."
In Puerto Rico, the race was focused on the issue of statehood, and Melendez said, "This proves Gov. Romney's electability and his ability to reach out to Hispanics and minorities."
Whether that's true or not, Romney told Puerto Ricans he would support statehood while Santorum said English would have to be the official language of the island if it were to join the United States — a statement that roiled residents.
"In Puerto Rico, we get along fine with both languages," said Francisco Rodriguez, a 76-year-old architect who supported Romney and hopes Puerto Rico becomes the nation's 51st state.
Even as Puerto Rico voted, Romney and Santorum traded barbs from afar.
"Sen. Santorum has the same economic lightweight background the president has," Romney told a crowd in Moline, Ill. He went a step further in Rockford, Ill., saying, "We're not going to replace an economic lightweight with another economic lightweight."
That drew a Santorum retort: "If Mitt Romney's an economic heavyweight, we're in trouble."
Aside from a pair of TV interviews, Santorum spent the day visiting a pair of churches in Louisiana, sharing how his faith has shaped his political career and his opposition to abortion rights and gay marriage. He didn't mention Romney or any of his other Republican opponents during talks at both churches.
He made clear he didn't plan to exit the race anytime soon, saying in Bossier City, La., "One of the great blessings I've had in every political campaign is people underestimate me, people underestimate what God can do."
Yet, he was curt when asked about his odds in Illinois.
"Keep working," Santorum said after services there. "That's all we can do."
Santorum spoke with CNN's "State of the Union" and ABC's "This Week." Romney appeared on "Fox News Sunday," and Priebus was interviewed on CBS' "Face the Nation."
- Atlanta City Council looks at donating tax money to charity
- New Jersey Governor Chris Christie in Atlanta
- Is this the most sexist TV program in history? Chat show where women strip off as two men critique their naked bodies
- Magistrate: Drunken driver Tommie Robinson Jr wrecked going over 100 mph, killing passenger
- Sailor from Oregon Jonathon Gibson killed in Red Sea helicopter crash
- Stern family plane crash: Three killed after homemade plane crashes into nature preserve
- Christopher P. Dona named as Army Ranger killed in parachute mishap
- Prison intern Kayla Danielle Davis charged with sexual assault
- Man (or Superman?) survives being hit by train traveling 110 mph
- Mountain biker rockets down ski slope at 135 mph
- Meet Colonel Meow, the world's hairiest cat
- Florida man's smartphone takes a bullet for him
- Bruce Lee didn't drink, but CGI Bruce Lee is in this liquor ad
- 1,000 mph car with Bloodhound rocket fired for first time (video)
- Man buys $27 of bitcoin, now he's a millionaire
- Jennifer Lopez suffers embarrassing wardrobe malfunction live on German TV
- Buyers of Dell's new Latitude 6430u Ultrabook complain it smells of cat urine
- President Obama catches fainting pregnant woman
- 'Mars Needs Moms' review: A charming, subversive, minor addition to CGI family film club
- Atlanta middle school principal resigns following report
- Lady Gaga 'dumped' by boyfriend as he can't handle her alter-egos
- Some UGA students calling for a change with arch ceremony
- Two teens critical after plummeting 400ft down sheer granite rockface at Stone Mountain Park
- Antonio McDyess Buzzer Beater: Spurs Beat Lakers With Last-Second Tip-In (VIDEO)
- CNN anchor Deborah Feyeric claims meteor hurtling toward Earth could be a result of global warming
- Pregnant weightlifter just two weeks away from giving birth provokes online storm
- Rebel Wilson busted whilst making off with buffet
- RSS Syndication
- 'Scorned wife' takes out brilliant classified ad
- Gunmen throw grenades at mall in Nairobi, Kenya
- Megachurch pastor bishop eddie long denies sexual relationships but admits: 'I told them to call me Daddy'
- High school teacher Carly McKinney, 23, 'tweeted nude photos of herself, called her students JAIL BAIT and talked about getting high'
- Black North Carolina pastor to church volunteers: "Only white people" at front door of church
- James Fortune to perform at free concert
- Principal Kelvin Griffin resigns after allegations of affair with teacher, drugs on campus
- Jeremiah Fogle, 57, killed wife Theresa Brown and shot 2 pastors
- Former principal John Ward arrested after his former student, 16, 'says he's the father of her baby'
- Athens man James Maurice Hood convicted in slaying over painkillers
- Southwest High School Plans to Raise Graduation Rate
- Florida Man Steven Cozzie Held In Slaying of Georgia Teen Courtney Wilkes in Florida
- Paulding County gym teacher Robert Cartwright accused of molesting student
- US Navy's controversial Zumwalt destroyer to hit the water for first time
- Why doesn't Evan Gattis catch for Julio Teheran?
- Death toll rises to 39 in Kenya mall attack
- 'Deadliest known substance kept secret' - botox super-toxin
- Beaten, starved, gang-raped and 'forced to give birth': Nigel Brennan and Amanda Lindhout's horrific ordeal as hostages in Somalia
- Dunwoody police arrest Ronald Cox in child molestation case
- lagos nigeria 23401 ( Nigerian Dating Scam ) 380
- Pastor Samuel Chapman jailed on child sex charges 79
- Asst. Principal’s Son Chandler Brookins Accused Of Rape In School Bathroom 70
- McDonald's Manager Tiffany Allen Accused Of Punching Customer 68
- Mother Of 5 Wazineh Suleiman Missing After Going To Rent Movie 31
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook 29
- 15-Year-Old Held In Girlfriend Angel Freeman's Killing; Gun Found In Creek 26
- New Mexico pastor Gregory Griego, woman, two girls and a boy shot dead during Saturday night shooting spree 25
- 'Wrap your legs around my head': Married Fox weatherman Geoff Fox fired after 'inappropriate' sexting chats with female photographer 22
- Teen Alex Dahm charged with drug possession 21
- Marietta Teen James Glover to be Tried as Adult in beating of a 94-year-old man 20
- Syfy's new show 'Defiance' sucks 20
- Dekalb County Teen Marquis Overstreet Found Shot, Killed, Stabbed 30 Times 19
- Joyriding teens Dustin Surrett, Tessa Upton nabbed in stolen Jaguar 19
- 17-year-old Quavante Combs drowns in Lake Lanier 18
- Husband James Felio Killed By Police After Fight With Wife 17
- James Taylor Named By Colleagues As Pilot From Cockpit Rant 17
- Babysitter Loni Bouchard 'had sex with boy, 14, she was hired to look after' 16
- Suspect In Double Homicide Michael Ntiamoah Is Federal Officer 15
- Police: Woman talking on cell caused crash killing 2 15
- Teacher Shannon Schmieder Sentenced to 40 Years for Affair with 14 Year Old 15
- Police: Ex-Substitute Rene Frank Pregnant With Student’s Twins 14
- Colin Kaepernick: Biological mother Heidi Russo wants relationship with quarterback son she gave up 14
- Teens Sarah Riffe, Michael Perry killed by Jeep in east Georgia town 13
- Gwinnett, Forsyth teens Brandon Hodges, Christian Walker, killed in wreck 13
- Tennessee woman Neena Costanza charged in death of her baby girl by her boyfriend 13
- Teen Demarquis Elkins Arrested in Georgia Baby Shooting Death 13
- Emma Watson suffers wardrobe malfunction night out 12
- Fleeing Driver Adam Sides Hits Officer Head-On During Chase 12
- Smyrna Police Officer Curtis Clyde Cook Fired After Drug Bust 12
- 16-Year-Old Son Charged In Crash That Killed His Mother 12
- 3 Pedestrians Hit, 2 Dead near Interstate 675 in Stockbridge 12
- Atlanta Woman Lashawna Threatt Dies after Fall from W Hotel Room 11
- Florida Man Steven Cozzie Held In Slaying of Georgia Teen Courtney Wilkes in Florida 11
- PICTURED: The assistant Melissa Nelson fired by dentist because she was 'irresistably attractive' and 'threat to his marriage' 11
- Teens Jekari Strozier, Antonio Pass, Johnathan Anthony, Kemonta Bonds charged in death of Mableton man 11
- Teen Cheyenne Sauls Killed In Crash; 17-Year-Old Driver Charged With DUI 10
- Daytona Woman Katie Burson Dies After House Party Shooting 10
- Florida woman Danisa Landaeta arrested for drawing picture of bomb on friend's bag at Miami International Airport 10
- Cops: Mableton Woman Chakaya Folborg stabs sister to death with steak knife 9
- Atlanta Woman Crystal Cross Alleges Beating From Ga. State Patrol 9
- UPDATE: Teen Terry Johnson, Charged In Murder of Shakira Hudson 8
- LA Fitness Manager Juhahn Belcher 's Death Ruled Suspicious 8
- Newnan officer Josh Keller shoots girlfriend in abdomen 8
- Off-Duty Officer Shoots Teen In Nightclub Parking Lot 8
- Dunkin' Donuts employee Melissa Redmond busted for prostitution; sold sex out of restaurant 8
- Teenage Boy Cody Riddle Drowns In Boone Lake 8
- Female Driver Priscilla Johnson Charged After Hitting 3 Teens with Car 8
- Pedestrian Latara Worthy run over, killed in Union City 8
- Revealed: Dramatic pictures of Trayvon's lifeless body as new evidence shows Zimmerman bleeding with 'broken nose' 8
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|