Pastor Kenneth Miller sentenced in Vt. lesbian custody case
A Mennonite pastor who helped a still-missing woman and her daughter flee the country — and a custody fight with the woman's former lesbian partner — joined his supporters in song Monday after being told his 27-month prison sentenced could be put on hold while he appeals his conviction.
Kenneth Miller was still wearing his prison jumpsuit when he left federal court in Burlington and met a crowd of about 100 supporters who came to Vermont from as far away as his home state of Virginia.
"I am grateful for the mercy of God," Miller said, before joining his supporters in singing a hymn, "Our God, He is alive."
During a two-hour sentencing hearing, Miller told U.S. District Court Judge William Sessions III he couldn't promise he would not commit again aid in international parental kidnapping. Last summer a jury found him guilty of helping Lisa Miller and her now-10-year-old daughter, Isabella, travel from Virginia to the Canadian border and then on to Nicaragua via the Toronto airport.
Lisa Miller and Isabella are still believed to be hiding in Central America. They are not related to the pastor.
Kenneth Miller, 47, of Stuarts Draft, Va., said he acted out of conscience and a religious belief that finds the idea of same-sex marriage offensive after a desperate Lisa Miller came to him in September 2009. Miller said the woman pleaded for help escaping a court order that Isabella spend time with her former partner, Janet Jenkins, of Fair Haven, Vt.
"I give myself unto you to do with me as you see fit," an obviously emotional Miller told the judge in a courtroom packed with the same supporters who later sang with him outside.
Sessions said he admired Miller for the depth of his convictions, but he could not allow him to choose God's law over his country's, saying the pastor had helped deprive Isabella of Jenkins' love.
"The horror of this cannot be overstated," Sessions said.
Assistant United States Attorney Christina Nolan said Kenneth Miller's actions were not those of someone full of love and compassion for other people — particularly Jenkins — as he and others have claimed.
"He didn't see her as a human being. He saw her primarily as a homosexual associated with the powers of darkness," Nolan said.
Lisa Miller and Jenkins were joined in a Vermont civil union in 2000 and Isabella was born to Lisa in 2002. The couple split in 2003 and a Vermont family court gave custody of Isabella to Lisa Miller with regular visitation for Jenkins.
Lisa Miller then returned to Virginia, became a conservative Christian, renounced homosexuality and sought full custody. Two months after Lisa Miller and Isabella fled the country, a Vermont family court judge transferred custody of the girl to Jenkins, who was not in court Monday.
Kenneth Miller had been jailed since Jan. 24 for contempt of court after refusing repeated orders to testify before a federal grand jury seeking information about others involved in the flight of Lisa Miller and Isabella. At the end of Monday's hearing, Sessions released him from the contempt citation saying additional incarceration was unlikely to compel him to testify.
Kenneth Miller's attorneys are planning to appeal. They argued the law that allowed Kenneth Miller to be tried in Vermont for a crime that neither occurred nor was planned in the state was likely to be overturned on appeal.
Sessions, the judge, said the appeals process could take years.
- Southern Charm finale introduces Thomas Ravenel and Kathryn Dennis' baby girl
- Heartbreaking farewell video Maddie Yates, 16, posted to YouTube before suicide
- Teacher Saralyn Gayle Portwood arrested for inappropriate relationship with student
- Tobias A. Bowen caught in Britain
- Grand jury rules shooting not authorized
- Henry County teen wont give up fight to cure cancer
- City inspects pipelines after sinkholes occur
- South Korean plastic surgery so good people need CERTIFICATES to prove who they are
- Former Gwinnett Co. commissioner Shirley Lasseter to be sentenced
- DeKalb high school basketball player Terrell Coleman dies
- Ala. drivers license department to close for a few days
- A gentleman is always on time and makes love on his elbows... but doesn't tweet or own a cat: Country Life reveal the ten dos and don'ts of the 'Gentlemanly Commandments'
- Aspiring model Chelsea Gerrish, 20, killed in horrific road rage crash after being rammed head-on by father-of-three
- Principal Kelvin Griffin resigns after allegations of affair with teacher, drugs on campus
- 3rd Annual Mother’s Day Tea to be held April 26
- Use of force 'not justified' in officer shooting of Bartow teen
- Rapper OG Double D killed in shooting on I-20
- Fox Elementary 3rd grade video production wins Best Movie honor
- Time Magazine says Columbus residents are "terrified", Mayor Tomlinson responds
- Same-sex couples file lawsuit over marriage equality
- Police arrest Woodstock man Anthony Couse for making car bomb sign
- DeKalb mom Meriel Bemis charged in toddler's death
- She really WAS pregnant! Southern Charm's disgraced South Carolina politician and much younger girlfriend DID have a baby despite show's pregnancy scare false alarm
- Ft. Benning to host college fair
- Mother fighting to get baby back from son of former mayor of Oklahoma City claims she was deceived into giving him up for adoption
- Gwinnett County commissioner Shirley Lasseter resigns, pleads guilty to bribery charge
- Train commuters run, jump and swing on pole in ‘worst rush hour service ever’
- Prank Justin Beiber protest draws attention in Buckhead
- Elementary school principal John McGill busted in child sex sting
- Georgia Tech student Saamar Akhshabi dies from injuries after setting himself on fire last month
- Adam Pearson hopes to beat prejudice after Under The Skin
- Sheriff: Murder investigation underway in Seale, Ala.
- Bibb Sheriff's looking for burglary suspect
- Mother who 'lifted 6-month-old baby over her head by the feet before smashing her into a dresser' pleads not guilty to murder
- Michigan man among 1st in US to get 'bionic eye'
- Epperly Tire to donate all proceeds from April 23 oil changes to Scott’s Ride for Miracles
- Body at San Francisco General Hospital may be missing woman Lynne Spalding
- ATM stolen in smash-and-grab at Mall at West End
- Father, daughter arrested after 6-year-old found living in filth
- Duke and Duchess learn to DJ: William and Kate hit the decks in Adelaide as they visit suburb named after the Queen
- Gorgeous George... The baby fashion icon: How Prince's outfits have sparked a rush to the shops from ambitious parents
- Oprah Winfrey's bitter stepmother Barbara in explosive first-ever interview
- The secret to happiness? Visit a library... and avoid the gym: Study finds which activities most boost our contentment
- Paige Laurie divorce get ugly as she sues Bo Dubbert for stealing from her
- Photographer shows the Brazilian communities that could be destroyed as the government evicts the poor from their homes for construction projects to prepare for the Olympics and World Cup
- Accused murderer wants 'murder' neck tattoo removed before his trial
- 'Manipulative' Miami man, 42, GUILTY of brutally murdering his wife with a tire iron just four days after their wedding so he could claim her $1 million life insurance
- Your Voice, Your Vote: U.S. Senate (GA)
- Couples challenge Georgia’s gay marriage ban
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|