College freshman Marvell Edmonson, 19, swept to his death after he was 'forced to cross river in hazing ritual'
Four men have been charged with hazing following the drowning of one Virginia State University student, Marvell Edmonson, who was swept to his death as he attempted to cross the Appomattox River as part of an initiation rite, police said on Tuesday.
A second student, Jauwan Holmes, remained missing on Tuesday, three days after seven male students were pulled down the river by the current as they tried to cross on April 20 as part of their initiation into a group known as 'Men of Honor.'
The rest of the men were pulled to safety or drifted to shore, a police statement said.
'Hazed': Marvell Edmonson, a freshman at Virginia State University, died during an initiation ritual after he was swept away crossing the Appomattox River
Search: Authorities are continuing a search for a second student who has not yet been found in the Appomattox
College hazing has attracted attention since the high profile 2011 death of 26-year-old Florida A&M University drum major Robert Champion during a band trip.
That death was ruled a homicide and led to felony charges against a number of band members.
In Virginia, police in Chesterfield County said they charged four men with five counts each of hazing following the drowning of 19-year-old Marvell Edmondson, a freshman at Virginia State University in Ettrick.
Edmonson's body was recovered on Monday, while fellow freshman Jauwan M. Holmes, also 19, remained missing. Police divers were searching the river for his body.
Suspect: James Mackey is the third person being charged; the four suspect has not been arrested yet
The four men charged with hazing were linked to the 'Men of Honor' group, police said.
They include James A. Mackey, 35 of Midlothian; freshman Cory D. Baytop, 26 of Newport News; and freshman Eriq K. Benson, 19, of Quinton.
Police said Charles E Zollicoffer, 29, had also been charged but was not yet in custody.
Virginia State University President Keith T. Miller said the school was grieving after the body of Edmonson was recovered.
'We trust this development provides a sense of relief to Marvell's family and pray for both of our students' families,' he said.
A Virginia State spokesman has said that 'Men of Honor' was not a sanctioned club at the university, although the school was aware of the group.
Spokesman Thomas Reed said the group had inquired about a year ago about establishing itself at the school, but never filled out any paperwork.
On Sunday, the university went into a lockdown and established a curfew following a vigil for the missing students. The curfew was lifted the next morning.
- Jewelry store donates portion of sales to Children's Hospital
- Brother of slain man helps identify suspect Ladarius Hardy
- QVC queen Lisa Robertson lives in fear after having FOUR stalkers
- Officials: Airport worker won't be punished after run-in with manager
- Situation clears some units Wood House Lane
- Kristine Kirk, 44, is shot dead 'in front of kids by husband Richard Kirk who was hallucinating after eating a marijuana cookie' - and she had already been on phone to 911 for 13 MINUTES
- Police arrest suspect acting suspiciously near Kate and William
- WHINSEC celebrates newly renovated school
- Job fair gives offenders a second chance at life
- Columbus Burglaries: Few Responsible For Many
- College Board gives a sneak peak at redesigned SAT
- Milton Mother Shannon Lawrence Killed During Custody Exchange
- Military Matters: "Hop to the Tanks" food drive for Battle Buddy Resource Center
- Florida Man Steven Cozzie Held In Slaying of Georgia Teen Courtney Wilkes in Florida
- Jeremiah Warthen: Suspect accused of striking, killing toddler, grandmother denied bond
- City inspects pipelines after sinkholes occur
- ATM stolen in smash-and-grab at Mall at West End
- #Hashtaglunchbag: Miss Ebony Columbus Edition
- Make them an offer they can't refuse: Beverly Hills mansion where Godfather was filmed goes on sale for $135 million
- 'I'd rather die by a lion than by some stupid drunk driver': Amazing photos of exotic pets and their owners
- RAW VIDEO: 1974 super tornado outbreak
- Brooklyn's Domino sugar factory photos pay tribute to its past
- Cold case suspect appears in court
- Kate and Wills effect: Flight searches to New Zealand soar 153% on DAY ONE of royal tour
- Where are the parents? Toddler seen 'smoking marijuana' as 'adults are heard heard laughing' in SHOCKING video
- 'Pull up your pants or be proud to be a f@%': Southern store owner posts sign with a homophobic slur to deter customers from wearing baggy pants
- 'We stop, we regroup, we consider': Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott concedes the search for MH370 will soon have to stop
- Revealed: Masked al-Qaeda fighter who was described as 'Arsenal football player' is believed to be Portuguese citizen who may have attended coaching sessions at the club
- Flight instructor Mitchell Casado featured in CNN's MH370 coverage fired from job for alleged tardiness and 'shaming Canadians' for dressing like a teenager
- Body found in Yemassee
- Savannah movie filming to continue several days
- Lawyer Not Convinced Client Killed State Trooper
- Car, Savannah tour bus collide during morning commute
- Adalia Rose: The six-year-old girl with body of an old woman due to progeria
- Auburn police arrest man suspected of robbing taxi driver at gunpoint
- Kate and Pippa Middleton's beloved fashion brand Hobbs lands in U.S.
- Fulton Co. school bus accident sends 2 to hospital
- Family's anguish as young mom's body is found in industrial site two days after she vanished following party
- Megachurch pastor resigns over 'moral failing'
- Columbus Hospice honors 20-year Army veteran
- The Indian conjoined twins who are worshipped as a divine incarnation
- GSU student killed in College Park robbery
- Alleged threat prompts more police at Auburn
- Douglas Co. High evacuated due to pepper spray
- Tax Day approaches with freebies from retailers, restaurants
- Major League Soccer comes to Atlanta
- PHOTOS: Boy Scouts plea for return of stolen trailer
- Man awarded $6K for helping police solve deadly crime
- Seniors discuss keeping Macon-Bibb "age-friendly"
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|