Teen with eye cancer, 17, told glass eye is a 'slap in the face of God'
- Emily Monroe, from South Florida, has battled eye cancer since age five, when her left eye was removed and replaced with a glass one
- After beating the cancer twice, it has now developed in her right eye, with doctors saying she has 'six to eight months to live'
- The 17-year-old has started a Tumblr page to document her condition and has revealed the torment she has endured from people at school, who have said her glass eye 'goes against God's plan'
- But Monroe refused to be defeated, saying: 'I have kicked cancer's a-- twice and I'm going for a third.'
By Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 09:28 EST, 22 November 2013 | UPDATED: 09:35 EST, 22 November 2013
She calls herself the 'one-eyed wonder' and, despite serious vision impairments, has managed to become the captain of her high school volleyball team.
But 17-year-old student Emily Monroe - who has suffered from retinal cancer since childhood and was recently told she had six to eight months to live following the discovery of a new tumor - says she is constantly 'threatened' and 'beaten down' by classmates, who say her glass eye is 'a slap in the face of God'.
The remarkable Florida teen, who blogs about her condition, has twice beat the cancer, however it has now reappeared for the third time.
Monroe was five when she was diagnosed with Retinoblastoma, a fast-developing type of cancer that forms in the retina, usually in young children.
'I'm proud of what I've achieved': Emily Monroe, 17, says she is bullied at her high school for having a glass eye due to retinal cancer and is told that it 'goes against God's plan'. The defiant teen blogs about her condition to raise awareness. In October doctors told her she had '6-8 months to live'
Her left eye was removed as a result and replaced with a glass eye, which appears bigger than her actual eye.
'This is quite noticeable to some people but to others, not as much,' Monroe wrote on her Tumblr page.
'I’ve gotten much hate from my eye about how it is “a slap in the face to God”.
'I will never disrespect someone’s religion so please don’t use your religion to attack someone.'
During her sophomore year, an MRI scan showed a mass had developed behind the glass eye.
Following radiation therapy, doctors decided to complete hollow out the eye socket to remove any tumors.
While the surgery was successful, the radiation affected Monroe's stomach, causing her to lose her appetite.
She was prescribed a drug called Megase, which is a form of liquid marijuana, to help her regain her appetite.
'I missed most of that year in school but I still managed to be the captain of my volleyball team despite not having any depth perception whatsoever,' she wrote.
Monroe deals with debilitating symptoms of her condition each day.
'Vomiting, weak, tired, groggy, grumpy, hormonal ... ever (expletive) day,' she said.
'6 out of 7, I'm sick.'
However she says she is routinely taunted by a group of about two dozen students.
'They said god wanted me dead and that’s why I’ve gotten cancer (now) three times,' she wrote online.
'So my eye is a 'trophy' to brag about how I fucked up God’s plan.'
'I deal with being the most hated person in school daily because my glass eye is a “slap in the face to God”.
'I’m not well liked. I’m threatened, beaten down and much worse but all in all, I’M OK.'
Sadly, doctors have discovered another mass, this time behind her right eye, which means she can't have surgery.
Monroe started radiation again on October 19, however she says her 'body isn't fighting the cancer'.
'When the results came back I was given 6-8 months,' she posted on her blog.
'This isn't definite, but it's probable.
'Radiation isn't working anymore.
'My body gave up.'
However, despite the diagnosis and torment from her peers, Monroe remains strong an optimistic, saying she won't give up the fight.
'I am proud of myself for all I've accomplished,' she said.
'I've kicked cancers ass twice and I'm going for a third.'
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
- Student, 14, 'used tree branch to rape teacher in school...
- In love behind bars, Charles Manson, 79, and the 25-year-old...
- Grieving Belgian woman sleeps next to the grisly remains of...
- Shocking ordeal of London slaves revealed: Malaysian woman,...
- Female teacher banned from profession for having sexual...
- '2 drunk 2 care:' What driver, 20, posted on her 'pothead...
- Outrage after Miami official mocks Walmart's 'typical...
- What would the world's greatest music legends have looked...
- Man's 'I cheated' prank goes sour when girlfriend admits...
- Phew, that was close! Massive cargo plane's nail-biting...
- Teen game of randomly punching strangers becoming a...
- EXCLUSIVE - Brittany Murphy’s stepdaughter, 18, talks...
- QVC queen Lisa Robertson lives in fear after having FOUR stalkers
- Move over selfies... it's time for the dronie: New trend for capturing you and your pals in wide angle aerial shots from a remote controlled camera
- College Board gives a sneak peak at redesigned SAT
- Kristine Kirk, 44, is shot dead 'in front of kids by husband Richard Kirk who was hallucinating after eating a marijuana cookie' - and she had already been on phone to 911 for 13 MINUTES
- Cops: Wife Kia Jeffries kills former pro boxer Earnest Abdul-Mateen in self-defense
- Justice Dept. appealing morning-after pill decision
- Medicaid caution warranted, lawmakers said
- Some South Carolina schools see drop in annual assessment
- Georgia Grandparents Arrested for leaving Grandson at a Walmart
- SC prison guard gave inmates key impressions
- Property tax appeal hearings suspended indefinitely
- Feds 'working with' Georgia even as plans drop out of exchange
- Heavy rain leaves one Aiken County yard inundated by water
- Police seek help identifying people cashing forged checks
- Officials: Airport worker won't be punished after run-in with manager
- Flood warning for north Georgia
- Stone Mountain Woman Leann Corley Fakes Pregnancy to Smuggle Pills
- Jewelry store donates portion of sales to Children's Hospital
- Milton Mother Shannon Lawrence Killed During Custody Exchange
- North Carolina girl, 3, loses part of both legs in lawn mower accident
- Hadley Boberg, 20, froze to death after she and a friend lost keys to their Jeep while hiking in Utah woods in frigid weather
- Magistrate: Drunken driver Tommie Robinson Jr wrecked going over 100 mph, killing passenger
- Ga. police department adds hybrids to its fleet
- Tragedy as 13-month-old toddler is shot dead in his stroller by teenage robber in front of mother
- Police say Augusta man is person of interest in car break-ins
- Salt intake falls 15%... and heart deaths fall 40% (but we still eat too much of it)
- Chestnut sets new world record in hot dog eating contest
- Seattle sewage plant offers FLUSHING brides a $2,000 weddings deal
- Lowe's Home Improvement Store to bring 600 jobs to northwest Georgia
- Ga. governor strikes cautious note on solar energy
- State Farm holding career fair August 6, 7
- DeKalb high school basketball player Terrell Coleman dies
- Popularity of IPA Day signals rise of American craft beers
- Principal Kelvin Griffin resigns after allegations of affair with teacher, drugs on campus
- National Geographic reveals 50 tours of a lifetime (and Scotland is the only entry for UK)
- Region that shaped Tsarnaev more volatile
- Dammion Heard's parents dispute findings that their star wrestler son, 20, killed himself as it's revealed the college student got into a fight the night he went missing
- LIFE IN PRISON: Ariel Castro: "I'm not a monster, I'm sick"
- Aspiring model Chelsea Gerrish, 20, killed in horrific road rage crash after being rammed head-on by father-of-three
- DeKalb mom Meriel Bemis charged in toddler's death
- Father, daughter arrested after 6-year-old found living in filth
- Stock shares of Aflac, Synovus and TSYS ride higher on Wall Street once again
- ATM stolen in smash-and-grab at Mall at West End
- Situation clears some units Wood House Lane
- Elementary school principal John McGill busted in child sex sting
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook
- Two teens critical after plummeting 400ft down sheer granite rockface at Stone Mountain Park
- Prank Justin Beiber protest draws attention in Buckhead
- Police arrest Woodstock man Anthony Couse for making car bomb sign
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|