Teen with eye cancer, 17, told glass eye is a 'slap in the face of God'
- Emily Monroe, from South Florida, has battled eye cancer since age five, when her left eye was removed and replaced with a glass one
- After beating the cancer twice, it has now developed in her right eye, with doctors saying she has 'six to eight months to live'
- The 17-year-old has started a Tumblr page to document her condition and has revealed the torment she has endured from people at school, who have said her glass eye 'goes against God's plan'
- But Monroe refused to be defeated, saying: 'I have kicked cancer's a-- twice and I'm going for a third.'
By Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 09:28 EST, 22 November 2013 | UPDATED: 09:35 EST, 22 November 2013
She calls herself the 'one-eyed wonder' and, despite serious vision impairments, has managed to become the captain of her high school volleyball team.
But 17-year-old student Emily Monroe - who has suffered from retinal cancer since childhood and was recently told she had six to eight months to live following the discovery of a new tumor - says she is constantly 'threatened' and 'beaten down' by classmates, who say her glass eye is 'a slap in the face of God'.
The remarkable Florida teen, who blogs about her condition, has twice beat the cancer, however it has now reappeared for the third time.
Monroe was five when she was diagnosed with Retinoblastoma, a fast-developing type of cancer that forms in the retina, usually in young children.
'I'm proud of what I've achieved': Emily Monroe, 17, says she is bullied at her high school for having a glass eye due to retinal cancer and is told that it 'goes against God's plan'. The defiant teen blogs about her condition to raise awareness. In October doctors told her she had '6-8 months to live'
Her left eye was removed as a result and replaced with a glass eye, which appears bigger than her actual eye.
'This is quite noticeable to some people but to others, not as much,' Monroe wrote on her Tumblr page.
'I’ve gotten much hate from my eye about how it is “a slap in the face to God”.
'I will never disrespect someone’s religion so please don’t use your religion to attack someone.'
During her sophomore year, an MRI scan showed a mass had developed behind the glass eye.
Following radiation therapy, doctors decided to complete hollow out the eye socket to remove any tumors.
While the surgery was successful, the radiation affected Monroe's stomach, causing her to lose her appetite.
She was prescribed a drug called Megase, which is a form of liquid marijuana, to help her regain her appetite.
'I missed most of that year in school but I still managed to be the captain of my volleyball team despite not having any depth perception whatsoever,' she wrote.
Monroe deals with debilitating symptoms of her condition each day.
'Vomiting, weak, tired, groggy, grumpy, hormonal ... ever (expletive) day,' she said.
'6 out of 7, I'm sick.'
However she says she is routinely taunted by a group of about two dozen students.
'They said god wanted me dead and that’s why I’ve gotten cancer (now) three times,' she wrote online.
'So my eye is a 'trophy' to brag about how I fucked up God’s plan.'
'I deal with being the most hated person in school daily because my glass eye is a “slap in the face to God”.
'I’m not well liked. I’m threatened, beaten down and much worse but all in all, I’M OK.'
Sadly, doctors have discovered another mass, this time behind her right eye, which means she can't have surgery.
Monroe started radiation again on October 19, however she says her 'body isn't fighting the cancer'.
'When the results came back I was given 6-8 months,' she posted on her blog.
'This isn't definite, but it's probable.
'Radiation isn't working anymore.
'My body gave up.'
However, despite the diagnosis and torment from her peers, Monroe remains strong an optimistic, saying she won't give up the fight.
'I am proud of myself for all I've accomplished,' she said.
'I've kicked cancers ass twice and I'm going for a third.'
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
- Student, 14, 'used tree branch to rape teacher in school...
- In love behind bars, Charles Manson, 79, and the 25-year-old...
- Grieving Belgian woman sleeps next to the grisly remains of...
- Shocking ordeal of London slaves revealed: Malaysian woman,...
- Female teacher banned from profession for having sexual...
- '2 drunk 2 care:' What driver, 20, posted on her 'pothead...
- Outrage after Miami official mocks Walmart's 'typical...
- What would the world's greatest music legends have looked...
- Man's 'I cheated' prank goes sour when girlfriend admits...
- Phew, that was close! Massive cargo plane's nail-biting...
- Teen game of randomly punching strangers becoming a...
- EXCLUSIVE - Brittany Murphy’s stepdaughter, 18, talks...
- Teen battling school board over whether her 22-year-old boyfriend will be allowed at the high school prom
- Southern Charm finale introduces Thomas Ravenel and Kathryn Dennis' baby girl
- EXCLUSIVE: "Brothers Forever" co-author discusses upcoming book release
- Chicago man Christopher Kaelin wins same lottery three times in three weeks
- La Balade Des Gnomes: World's wackiest hotel where you can spend the night in a Trojan horse, a troll's lair and even sleep with a mermaid
- The dog with a thousand hilarious faces who LOVES to play fetch
- WikiLeaks 'traitor' Bradley Manning wants to be a woman
- Woman gives birth to 'baby with two heads'
- Sign calls candidate for school board president 'chicken'
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy condemned for racist remarks
- Ryan Gosling's violent new film booed at Cannes
- Abercrombie & Fitch finally says sorry for fat comments
- Mega Millions lottery winner Holly Lahtiand and estranged husband's violent past
- Is this Miley Cyrus' worst Instagram offering ever?
- Facebook users duped by missing Malaysia Airlines spam
- Vinay Pochampally 'groped sleeping woman's breast for FIVE MINUTES' on British Airways flight from London to San Francisco
- Delaware student Devon Gluck gives back $1,800 after ATM mistake
- Texas dad shot dead boy, 17, after catching him in bed with daughter
- News anchor gets shock as earthquake hits live TV studio
- Ukraine crisis breakthrough as Sergey Lavrov says diplomats agree to protect people's rights
- EXCLUSIVE: "Brothers Forever" co-author discusses upcoming book release
- Man files lawsuit claiming he is REAL father of cyber-bullying suicide victim Audrie Potts as he tries to join wrongful death lawsuit filed by her family
- New York Yankees pitcher Michael Pineda ejected for ball tampering in Boston
- Builder survives after steel rod pierces through his skull in window fall
- ‘Ghost’ caught on film in stadium in La Paz, Bolivia
- Father, daughter arrested after 6-year-old found living in filth
- Georgia Tech student Saamar Akhshabi dies from injuries after setting himself on fire last month
- Principal Kelvin Griffin resigns after allegations of affair with teacher, drugs on campus
- Justin Casquejo, 16, sneaks past sleeping guard to top of 1 World Trade Centre
- Final Game of Thrones trailer redefines 'overkill'
- Sheriff's deputy 'gunned down his wife and then himself during domestic dispute' with their two young daughters listening in just steps away
- Beyoncé tops Time’s list of 100 most influential people of 2014
- Yahya Abdi had discovered his father 'had lied she had died in rocket attack'
- VIDEO: Brush fire near Warm Springs Rd Connecter slows traffic
- Auburn to hold 2014 Drug Take Back event
- HCC to present free program on Eufaula’s Textile Mill Heritage
- Romney attends fight between Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez in Las Vegas
- Giant python swallows family's pet dog
- Chris Brown kicked out of rehab, sent to jail
- What would Superman wearing a GoPro look like? Pretty cool, actually
- Chinese internet company Alibaba Group is set for listing on US stock exchange
- ‘Two and a Half Men’ star Angus T. Jones has criticised the sitcom again
- Video: Grandmother survives being run over twice in horror crash
- Facebook buys fitness app Moves
- New gun law worries police, business owners
- Missing MH370 report to be released 'next week'
- Lanett teen arrested in connection to 2013 traffic accident
- Suspect identified, murder warrant issued in Seale, Ala. homicide investigation
- Fort Benning program thrives during nationwide Army cuts
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
AM Clouds/PM Sun