Wayne Mills, country singer, kills by Nashville bar owner who then claims self-defense
- Wayne Mills, 44, was shot in the head at the Pit and Barrel bar at 5am on Saturday
- Owner Chris Ferrell claimed he killed Mills in self defense and has not been arrested
- Pit and Barrel was featured on SPIKE TV reality show 'Bar Rescue' in an episode set to air Sunday
- Mills works with stars Blake Shelton, Jamey Johnson and Taylor Hicks before they were famous
By Michael Zennie
PUBLISHED: 22:29 EST, 24 November 2013 | UPDATED: 23:09 EST, 24 November 2013
Dead: Wayne Mills, 44, was killed by the owner of a Nashville bar, who claims he acted in self-defense
The owner of a Nashville bar featured in a reality TV show is claiming self-defense after he shot dead a veteran country music singer after a fight over the musician smoking in a non-smoking area.
Wayne Mills, 44, has long been a fixture of the Nashville country music scene - Blake Shelton, Jamey Johnson and American Idol Winner Taylor Hicks all opened for him before they became stars.
The owner of the bar, Chris Ferrell, has not been arrested and Nashville police are currently investigating his claims that he was defending himself when he shot Mills in the head about 5am Saturday at Pit and Barrel.
On Sunday night, SPIKE TV was set to feature the bar on its show Bar Rescue, which brings in a professional restaurant consultant to give struggling pubs a make-over.
The network canceled the new episode and aired a re-run instead.
Ferrell told police that Mills became aggressive after a night of drinking.
Michael Scott, a friend of Mills, told WSMV-TV that Mills and friends had been drinking with his pals on Friday night after going to see a performance.
Ferrell shot Mills in the head after the two got into a fight when Mills wouldn't stop smoking in a non-smoking area of the bar, according to police.
Mills, a native of Arab, Alabama, toured with the Wayne Mills Band, which played college towns for more than 15 years.
The Pit and Barrel bar, where Mills was killed, had recently been featured on an episode of the SPIKE TV reality show 'Bar Rescue'
Mills, who toured college towns for years, was a fixture in the Nashville country music scene. He was married with a young son
Mills, who was married with a young son, graduated from the University of Alabama with an education degree, and also played football for the school, according to the band's website.
Mr Scott said he was shocked to hear the bar owner's claims that Mills had become dangerous.
Condolences poured into his Facebook page - including from Shelton.
'Extremely sad to hear about the death of my old friend Wayne Mills... Rest in peace brother,' he tweeted.
Country music star and reality TV judge Blake Shelton tweeted out his condolences to Mills' wife
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
- Heartbreaking farewell video Maddie Yates, 16, posted to YouTube before suicide
- QVC queen Lisa Robertson lives in fear after having FOUR stalkers
- College Board gives a sneak peak at redesigned SAT
- Family of Dawsonville child makes plea for kidney match
- Police: Locker-room thief spent $4,000 on stolen credit cards
- Move over selfies... it's time for the dronie: New trend for capturing you and your pals in wide angle aerial shots from a remote controlled camera
- 'Hostage scammers' steal hundreds from Atlanta residents
- Duchess of Cambridge keeps her cool in white dress by Australian designer for visit to Sydney's Royal Easter Show with William
- Witness: Goose on the loose with arrow through head
- Mayor Reed speaks out against Water Management raises
- Video shows dog barking at a video of itself barking at video of itself barking
- Inmate Amy Hightower Re-Arrested After Escaping Hospital
- Bodies of teen girl on Spring break and her 33-year-old aunt pulled from Lake Erie after they went missing with two men on fishing trip
- Barbara Gauthier visits Westview Elementary School for Career Day!
- Did this legal marijuana-laced candy make man hallucinate and shoot his wife?
- Three million credit card numbers stolen from Michaels Stores after security breach
- Phenix City students participate in 8th annual Crosswalk
- New video shows the moment Texas fertilizer plant burst into flames, killing 15 and and injuring more than 200
- Youth Orchestra of Greater Columbus holds "Maestro for a Moment" fundraiser
- Transcript shows ferry captain delayed evacuation
- Cook out draws law officers, candidates to Glennville
- Administrators keep their jobs after arrests
- Cops: Wife Kia Jeffries kills former pro boxer Earnest Abdul-Mateen in self-defense
- Ga. governor strikes cautious note on solar energy
- Some South Carolina schools see drop in annual assessment
- Voter registration deadline is April 21
- Avalanche sweeps Everest; 6 killed, 9 missing
- Suspects connected to Steve Toms murder indicted on additional charges
- Columbus tutoring group prepares students for CRCT
- Judge John McBain lashes out at convicted killer Camia Gamet after she snickers and asks 'is that it?' as victim's aunt recounts murder
- Dammion Heard's parents dispute findings that their star wrestler son, 20, killed himself as it's revealed the college student got into a fight the night he went missing
- Ezell’s Catfish of Phenix City hosting Easter at Ezell’s Appreciation Week
- Police arrest Woodstock man Anthony Couse for making car bomb sign
- Lowe's Home Improvement Store to bring 600 jobs to northwest Georgia
- Chestnut sets new world record in hot dog eating contest
- Heavy rain leaves one Aiken County yard inundated by water
- Feds 'working with' Georgia even as plans drop out of exchange
- National Geographic reveals 50 tours of a lifetime (and Scotland is the only entry for UK)
- North Carolina girl, 3, loses part of both legs in lawn mower accident
- Twitter buzz doesnt make us watch tv shows
- Peaches Geldof's funeral to take place at same church as her mother's on Easter Monday - and her ashes may be scattered at family home where she grew up
- Columbus tutoring group prepares students for CRCT
- 6 indicted on charges in connection to 2011 murder of Steve Toms
- Obama warns Russia may still face sanctions over Ukraine as he cautiously welcomes deal to resolve crisis
- School board addresses cursive writing concerns
- Facebook launches new service which will share your exact location with all your friends but insists its optional
- Highway shooter who targeted at least 12 random motorists during month-long crime spree in Kansas City finally in custody
- Hawkinsville Man Birago Blackshear Accused of Killing Ex-Girlfriend Ashton Bartlett
- 11-year-old boy beaten by grandmother and mother who then POST VIDEO of abuse on Facebook
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|