Sports presenter's daughter not at fault in fatal crash that killed her as cause remains a mystery
- Dom Tiberi has started driving foundation in memory of Maria
- 21-year-old died after her car collided with a truck on September 17
- No drink or drugs were in her system and student was not using phone
By Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 23:16 EST, 28 November 2013 | UPDATED: 00:49 EST, 29 November 2013
The cause of a fatal crash that killed the 21-year-old daughter of an Ohio sports presenter in September is still a mystery, police say.
Maria Tiberi hit the back of a truck at about 11pm on September 17, but tests have proved she had not been using her phone and had no alcohol or drugs in her system.
An investigation found no sign that the daughter of WBNS-TV anchor Dom Tiberi had applied her brakes and she had not been driving erratically.
Loved: Tiberi shared this photograph of himself and his daughter Maria, who died in September
'It is believed that a momentary lapse of
attention or an unknown distraction was the probable cause of the
accident,' investigators told the Columbus Dispatch.
Her father is now campaigning to make young drivers more aware of the dangers of being distracted behind the wheel.
He has set up the Maria Tiberi Foundation to encourage better defensive driving.
'Too many youngsters die on the highways every day,' Tiberi told WBNS-TV. 'I tell you kids out there, don't do this to your parents. It's been hell on earth for me and my entire family.'
When the sports anchor returned to work after losing his daughter, the entire Ohio State football team lined up to hug him.
A touching video captured the moment, as Tiberi seemed completely overwhelmed by their kindness and took a moment to regain control of his emotions after the final player left.
Emotional: Tiberi's eyes filled with tears when he returned to work a week after his daughter's death
Stunning: The Ohio State student died after she crashed her car into a stationary truck in Hilliard, Ohio
'It's never going to be the same. A little piece of me died,' he said when he returned to work. 'We're going to try to make a positive out of this and thanks for sticking with me.'
Following the death of Maria, an Ohio State student, the community rallied together to show its support.
'We are deeply saddened to hear of this tragic accident, and our hearts and thoughts are with Maria’s family and friends,' OSU Student Life spokesman Dave Isaacs said.
The principal of Dublin Coffman High School, which Maria had attended, called her a 'wonderful young lady'.
'I will never forget and can still picture her amazing smile that she so effortlessly blessed us with each day,' Mike Ulring said. 'Our thoughts and prayers are with the Tiberi family as they remain great friends of Coffman High School and the Dublin Community.'
Kirk Herbstreit, a former quarterback at Ohio State who went on to become an ESPN commentator, sent his condolences via Twitter.
Support: Broadcaster Dom Tiberi is hugged by every member of the Ohio State University football team after he returns to work following the death of his daughter, Maria, who was killed in a car crash
Overwhelmed: Tiberi, a veteran of the channel, became emotional after the show of support from the team
'My thoughts & prayers are w/ the Tiberi family this morning,' he wrote. 'They lost their daughter Maria last night in a car accident. So sad.'
Tiberi has been a sportscaster with WBNS since 1981 and covers Ohio State University.
He has numerous honors, including a Media Service Award from the Ohio High School Athletic Association and a Press Award from the Greater Columbus Tennis Association.[embedded content]
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
- ATM stolen in smash-and-grab at Mall at West End
- 11-year-old boy beaten by grandmother and mother who then POST VIDEO of abuse on Facebook
- Richmond County school board addresses handwriting skills
- VIDEO: Hilsman Middle is 'Happy'
- Michigan mother Chelsea Traxler and her unborn child killed in car accident
- Hadley Boberg, 20, froze to death after she and a friend lost keys to their Jeep while hiking in Utah woods in frigid weather
- Goatnapped: Did someone steal baby Lidya?
- Position you sleep in with partner reveals strength of relationship
- DeKalb high school basketball player Terrell Coleman dies
- Pedestrian in serious condition after Cobb Parkway accident
- Magistrate: Drunken driver Tommie Robinson Jr wrecked going over 100 mph, killing passenger
- Seattle sewage plant offers FLUSHING brides a $2,000 weddings deal
- North Carolina girl, 3, loses part of both legs in lawn mower accident
- Region that shaped Tsarnaev more volatile
- Salt intake falls 15%... and heart deaths fall 40% (but we still eat too much of it)
- Burned body of missing DeKalb County man recovered
- Uber driver robbed on Huff Rd.
- Aspiring model Chelsea Gerrish, 20, killed in horrific road rage crash after being rammed head-on by father-of-three
- Atlanta soccer announcement planned Wednesday
- DeKalb mom Meriel Bemis charged in toddler's death
- Wig-wearing woman who hurled shoe at Hillary Clinton's head released from jail after she was given a misdemeanor disorderly conduct summons
- US Airways social media manager speaks out about 'worst tweet of all time'
- Father, daughter arrested after 6-year-old found living in filth
- Strong winds cause trees to fall on roadways; home
- City inspects pipelines after sinkholes occur
- National Geographic reveals 50 tours of a lifetime (and Scotland is the only entry for UK)
- Principal Kelvin Griffin resigns after allegations of affair with teacher, drugs on campus
- Student dies after being hit by 2 taxis jaywalking across busy Manhattan street
- Prank Justin Beiber protest draws attention in Buckhead
- Alleged threat prompts more police at Auburn
- Georgia Tech student Saamar Akhshabi dies from injuries after setting himself on fire last month
- That's one way to beat the bear claw! Missing toddler found INSIDE arcade machine after squeezing through gap to claim his toy
- Lioness survives being gored horrifically by a buffalo
- Elementary school principal John McGill busted in child sex sting
- Fire kills a man and sends a woman to the hospital
- Douglas Co. High evacuated due to pepper spray
- Controversial pastor Arthur Allen dies in house fire
- Georgia officials scheduled to set tuition rates
- Gregory Favors Identified as State Trooper Shooting Suspect
- Stunned boyfriend of Utah 'baby-killing' mom says he had 'no idea' about six murdered newborns
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook
- Body at San Francisco General Hospital may be missing woman Lynne Spalding
- Man acquitted of 2011 Carousel Lounge shooting
- Former Fortune 500 exec Robert Dellinger charged with murder
- UPDATE: Recorder's Court judge orders Michael Johnson held without bond in Steve Toms' death
- Outrage over Georgia deputy sheriff Chad Palmer who dressed in blackface as an inmate 'picking cotton' for Halloween party
- Mailman discovers man and woman dead together in Brooklyn bathtub, an empty bottle of vodka at hand
- Train commuters run, jump and swing on pole in ‘worst rush hour service ever’
- Support for a republic slips to lowest level due to popularity of royals
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|