'We heard a pop like pottery cracking': Parents heartbroken as baby girl dies after skull and spine were broken during forceps delivery
- Rachel Melancon and Allen Coats plan to sue obstetrician and Texas hospital
- Couple claim doctor pulled with such force he had foot up on table
- Baby Olivia Marie died five days after traumatic delivery
By Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 16:53 EST, 3 January 2014 | UPDATED: 16:53 EST, 3 January 2014
The parents of a baby girl who died after her skull was crushed during a forceps delivery are suing the Texas hospital where she was born.
Rachel Melancon had experienced a healthy pregnancy, but when a doctor at the Medical Center of Southeast Texas used forceps during the birth on December 28 it had devastating consequences.
As the medical device was clamped around her baby's head, the 24-year-old and her fiance Allen Coats claim they heard a popping sound as their daughter's skull was crushed.
Heartbroken: Allen Coats and Rachel Melancon with baby Olivia whose skull was crushed during an attempted forceps delivery
Damage: Baby Olivia was born with a fractured skull and broken spinal cord, which left her brain damaged
The baby girl, named Olivia Marie, survived for five more days after being left brain damaged and with a fractured skull and severed spinal cord.
Her parents plan to sue their obstetrician, Dr George T Backardjiev, and the Medical Center of Southeast Texas.
The couple have also started a Facebook campaign page to petition against the use of forceps in all births.
Ms Melancon, at 4ft 11in and weighing 95lb before she became pregnant, had asked for a cesarean section when her baby was overdue and large, considering her mother's petite frame.
But doctors warned her against having that type of delivery, saying she'd be left with a scar, her mother-in-law Angie Coats told ABC News.
After going into labor, baby Oliva's heart rate was increasing but the expectant mom kept being told to wait.
'It was 18 hours until the delivery. [Rachel] was running a 103 fever ... Five hours passed, then [the obstetrician] came in and she started to push. But she was so worn out and the baby wasn't even in the birth canal,' Ms Coats said.
Hope: Rachel had experienced a healthy pregnancy and the couple were looking forward to their baby's arrival
Difficulties: Rachel had asked for a C-section because she was overdue and her baby was comparatively large for her petite 4ft 11in frame. Her request was turned down
Campaign: Rachel and Allen, pictured with Olivia, have started a petition to have forceps banned
She claimed the baby was facing the wrong way and Dr Backardjiev tried to turn her with his hands.
'When he couldn't do that, he took the
small forceps to try to pull the baby out. He kept going and even put
his foot up on the bed trying to pull,' she said.
'When he touched the top and side of the skull, we heard a pop, like clay cracking in pottery and heard her skull crush.'
Ms Melancon was rushed off for an emergency cesarean but when Olivia was finally delivered the family say she was unable breathe.
Their baby was rushed to Hermann Hospital, where the parents were told that she had suffered numerous fractures.
In a post on their Facebook page, Ms Melancon said she heard
'2 big popping sounds (it was her skull)' as the doctor used the
She claimed her baby was then left in the birth canal while the doctor stitched Ms Melancon up before she could have the emergency C-section.
'I felt her pulled out of me and the room was silent. No crying baby and they told Allen to leave the room. That's the last I remember before waking up to my baby girl lifeless,' she said in a heartbreaking post.
The parents kept a vigil at Olivia's bedside for five days before she was taken off life support.
Her heart valve and tissue behind her legs and knees were donated to save another baby's life.
Devastating: Baby Olivia was kept on life support for five days before she finally died
Letting go: Olivia's parents, who kept a vigil at her bedside, donated her heart valve to save another baby
Hospital chief executive Matt Roberts released a statement saying that Olivia's death 'rips at our hearts'.
The statement added that the hospital could not comment on specific cases but confirmed that a review would be carried out.
As well as a Facebook page to detail their experiences and raise awareness, the couple have set up a Go Fund Me page to try to pass Olivia's Law to ban the use of forceps.
Skull fractures are a risk during forceps births. The Mayo Clinic advises: 'Keep in mind that whenever a forceps delivery is recommended, a C-section is typically also an option.'
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
- 'Scorned wife' takes out brilliant classified ad
- Full House star Candice Cameron Bure slams Christian haters
- More proof Americans have no idea about technology
- Principal Kelvin Griffin resigns after allegations of affair with teacher, drugs on campus
- Entire family charged with shoplifting, selling goods online for millions
- Man has sex with pit bull* in his back garden (*not the rapper)
- Man buys $27 of bitcoin, now he's a millionaire
- British teen who had sex with girlfriend’s dog avoids jail
- Contestant on South Korea dating show commits suicide
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Lupita’s moving speech: ‘I wanted light skin’
- Hide your husbands: Wife exposes affair all over mistresses’ Walmart store
- Manual from 1530s suggests ‘rocket cat attacks’ against enemies
- Oscar Pistorius ‘breaks down’, blocks ears
- Homer Simpson tries and fails to get in Oscars selfie
- Religious South African sect eats grass ‘to be close to God’
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- ‘I’ve been beating myself up all day’: John Travolta breaks silence over ‘Adele Dazeem’ gaffe
- Buy a pack of gum, get a 3ft receipt: Instagram meme mocks ridiculously long CVS pharmacy sales slips
- Two men found guilty of selling trade secrets to China
- Mountain biker rockets down ski slope at 135 mph
- Apple launches CarPlay that lets you look-up maps, make calls and send messages while you drive
- Microsoft to turn lounge rooms into 3D browsers
- Leaked pictures show Cortana, Microsoft’s answer to Siri
- Facebook wants to use drones to give people internet
- Chris and Liam Hemsworth spoof ‘Charlie bit my finger’ with help from Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks
- Scientists invent a contagious Wi-Fi virus
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- 1,000 mph car with Bloodhound rocket fired for first time (video)
- RT anchor who spoke out against Ukraine invasion 'refuses to go to Crimea'
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- Police investigate fatal shooting
- Is this the most sexist TV program in history? Chat show where women strip off as two men critique their naked bodies
- Magistrate: Drunken driver Tommie Robinson Jr wrecked going over 100 mph, killing passenger
- Beyonce's Instagram faux pas - Tasmania is not a country
- Missing pregnant criminology major Loretta Saunders found murdered on Canadian highway
- Indictment in the case of missing Tenn. nursing student Holly Bobo
- Officer Alec Eugene Taylor charged with killing girlfriend's puppy
- British teacher suspended after ‘taping ten-year-old students mouths shut’ for giggling
- Detroit man James Brown convicted of killing 4 women from escort site
- ‘Black Hitler Sherman Gamble tortured nanny for three days in New York’
- ‘Human Barbie’ Valeria Lukyanova ‘going to live on air and light only’
- Kim Kardashian’s application to attend Vanity Fair Oscars party completely ignored
- Some Chick-Fil-A stores selling fish sandwiches for Lent
- Man (or Superman?) survives being hit by train traveling 110 mph
- Missing mother Nadia Malik, 22, found dead in a car that had eight parking tickets
- Chelsea Handler slammed for Lupita Nyong’o Oscar tweet
- ‘Serial masturbator’ Chris Pagano dubbed the ‘Swiss cheese pervert’ faces new charges
- Couple Sidney and Tammy Moorer Charged With Murder, Kidnapping Of Heather Elvis
- lagos nigeria 23401 ( Nigerian Dating Scam ) 380
- Pastor Samuel Chapman jailed on child sex charges 79
- Asst. Principal’s Son Chandler Brookins Accused Of Rape In School Bathroom 70
- McDonald's Manager Tiffany Allen Accused Of Punching Customer 68
- Mother Of 5 Wazineh Suleiman Missing After Going To Rent Movie 31
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook 29
- 15-Year-Old Held In Girlfriend Angel Freeman's Killing; Gun Found In Creek 26
- New Mexico pastor Gregory Griego, woman, two girls and a boy shot dead during Saturday night shooting spree 25
- 'Wrap your legs around my head': Married Fox weatherman Geoff Fox fired after 'inappropriate' sexting chats with female photographer 22
- Teen Alex Dahm charged with drug possession 21
- Marietta Teen James Glover to be Tried as Adult in beating of a 94-year-old man 20
- Syfy's new show 'Defiance' sucks 20
- Dekalb County Teen Marquis Overstreet Found Shot, Killed, Stabbed 30 Times 19
- Joyriding teens Dustin Surrett, Tessa Upton nabbed in stolen Jaguar 19
- 17-year-old Quavante Combs drowns in Lake Lanier 18
- Husband James Felio Killed By Police After Fight With Wife 17
- James Taylor Named By Colleagues As Pilot From Cockpit Rant 17
- Babysitter Loni Bouchard 'had sex with boy, 14, she was hired to look after' 16
- Suspect In Double Homicide Michael Ntiamoah Is Federal Officer 15
- Police: Woman talking on cell caused crash killing 2 15
- Teacher Shannon Schmieder Sentenced to 40 Years for Affair with 14 Year Old 15
- Police: Ex-Substitute Rene Frank Pregnant With Student’s Twins 14
- Colin Kaepernick: Biological mother Heidi Russo wants relationship with quarterback son she gave up 14
- Teens Sarah Riffe, Michael Perry killed by Jeep in east Georgia town 13
- Gwinnett, Forsyth teens Brandon Hodges, Christian Walker, killed in wreck 13
- Tennessee woman Neena Costanza charged in death of her baby girl by her boyfriend 13
- Teen Demarquis Elkins Arrested in Georgia Baby Shooting Death 13
- Emma Watson suffers wardrobe malfunction night out 12
- Fleeing Driver Adam Sides Hits Officer Head-On During Chase 12
- Smyrna Police Officer Curtis Clyde Cook Fired After Drug Bust 12
- 16-Year-Old Son Charged In Crash That Killed His Mother 12
- 3 Pedestrians Hit, 2 Dead near Interstate 675 in Stockbridge 12
- Atlanta Woman Lashawna Threatt Dies after Fall from W Hotel Room 11
- Florida Man Steven Cozzie Held In Slaying of Georgia Teen Courtney Wilkes in Florida 11
- PICTURED: The assistant Melissa Nelson fired by dentist because she was 'irresistably attractive' and 'threat to his marriage' 11
- Teens Jekari Strozier, Antonio Pass, Johnathan Anthony, Kemonta Bonds charged in death of Mableton man 11
- Teen Cheyenne Sauls Killed In Crash; 17-Year-Old Driver Charged With DUI 10
- Daytona Woman Katie Burson Dies After House Party Shooting 10
- Florida woman Danisa Landaeta arrested for drawing picture of bomb on friend's bag at Miami International Airport 10
- Cops: Mableton Woman Chakaya Folborg stabs sister to death with steak knife 9
- Atlanta Woman Crystal Cross Alleges Beating From Ga. State Patrol 9
- UPDATE: Teen Terry Johnson, Charged In Murder of Shakira Hudson 8
- LA Fitness Manager Juhahn Belcher 's Death Ruled Suspicious 8
- Newnan officer Josh Keller shoots girlfriend in abdomen 8
- Off-Duty Officer Shoots Teen In Nightclub Parking Lot 8
- Dunkin' Donuts employee Melissa Redmond busted for prostitution; sold sex out of restaurant 8
- Teenage Boy Cody Riddle Drowns In Boone Lake 8
- Female Driver Priscilla Johnson Charged After Hitting 3 Teens with Car 8
- Pedestrian Latara Worthy run over, killed in Union City 8
- Revealed: Dramatic pictures of Trayvon's lifeless body as new evidence shows Zimmerman bleeding with 'broken nose' 8
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|