Ohio condemned death row inmate David McGuire at risk of 'terrifying suffocation-like syndrome'
- Ohio's untried execution could cause killer David McGuire to experience 'air hunger' during planned death next week
- McGuire, 53, is on death row for the rape and fatal stabbing of Joy Stewart in Ohio in 1989
- Anesthesiologist testifies that Ohio's execution drugs could cause Stewart to experience terror as he strains to catch his breath
By Associated Press and Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 14:10 EST, 10 January 2014 | UPDATED: 18:40 EST, 10 January 2014
Condemned: This undated file photo shows death row inmate Dennis McGuire, who raped and murdered a pregnant woman in 1989
An Ohio inmate facing execution next week from an untried method is at substantial risk of a medical phenomenon known as air hunger.
This would cause condemned killer David McGuire, 53, to experience terror as he strains to catch his breath, an anesthesiologist testified Friday at a federal court hearing.
Because McGuire has several characteristics of sleep apnea, or the struggle to breathe while asleep, the chances are even greater he will be subjected to feelings of suffocation, an expert warned.
'Mr. McGuire is at a substantial risk
of experiencing the terror of air hunger during the first five minutes
of the execution,' Professor David Waisel, of Harvard Medical School,
'Air hunger is a horrible feeling,' Waisel added. 'It's the inability to get your breath.'
Waisel is a witness for defense attorneys trying to stop McGuire's
execution next Thursday. He testified at the beginning of a two-day
hearing on the state's new lethal drug process.
plans to use intravenous doses of two drugs, midazolam, a sedative, and
hydromorphone, a painkiller, to put McGuire to death.
method has been part of Ohio's execution process since 2009, though
never used. It was chosen because of a shortage of other lethal
The state says its own anesthesiology expert is ready to argue that experiments have shown nothing of the sort will happen.
Experimental: McGuire is scheduled to be executed next week at this facility but an expert has testified that he may experience terror as he strains to catch his breath due to Ohio's untested execution method
Punishment: The death chamber at the Southern Ohio Correctional Facility in Lucasville. Ohio plans to use intravenous doses of two drugs, midazolam, a sedative, and hydromorphone, a painkiller, to put McGuire to death
Such dueling arguments have taken place often in federal judge Gregory Frost's courtroom over the years. Frost has heard numerous arguments for and against Ohio's lethal injection process.
He has never ruled the drugs themselves unconstitutional, but he has at times harshly criticized the state for conducting haphazard executions by not closely following its own policies.
McGuire, 53, was sentenced to die for the 1989 rape and fatal stabbing of Joy Stewart in Preble County in western Ohio. The 22-year-old Stewart was newly married and pregnant.
will experience the agony and terror of air hunger as he struggles to
breathe for five minutes after defendants intravenously inject him with
the execution drugs,' the inmate's attorneys said in a Monday court
Victim: McGuire, 53, was sentenced to die for the 1989 rape and fatal stabbing of Joy Stewart in Preble County in western Ohio. The 22-year-old Stewart was newly married and pregnant
Higher courts have twice rejected claims that the drugs pose a risk of severe pain, the state argued in opposing McGuire's attempt to stop his execution.
The state says that because courts have upheld the use of those drugs in the backup method, McGuire can't challenge their use just because they are to be given intravenously.
There is no excuse for not raising
this claim years ago, 'much less presenting it for the first time in an
eleventh-hour stay of execution,' lawyers for the Ohio attorney
general's office said in their filing.
Wednesday, McGuire's attorneys filed a separate appeal with the U.S.
Supreme Court, saying information about his chaotic childhood of abuse
and neglect could have prevented him from being sentenced to death if it
was presented at trial.
filings argue McGuire was so malnourished as a child that his stomach
was swollen and distended. He also had to frequently steal food for
himself and his younger sister, the appeal said.
was physically abused by at least four different parental figures and
shows signs of brain damage from head trauma, the attorneys said.
The filings say jurors who sentenced McGuire to death never got to hear the full extent of his chaotic childhood because his trial attorneys didn't properly investigate reasons he should be spared.
Even without the full picture of McGuire's life, a juror held out for 12 hours before relenting, a sign that a full investigation might have led to a different outcome, the lawyers said.
In Ohio, one juror can block a death sentence by voting against it. The state's response to that claim is expected Monday.
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
With a pint of beer in one hand and a glass of wine in the other, the worst thing you could accuse Ashley Payne of ... Full story
- Three-year-old boy makes compelling argument for cupcakes for dinner
- Was flight MH370 lost in an aeronautical black hole or did catastrophic power failure prevent air traffic control plotting its every move?
- Sailor from Oregon Jonathon Gibson killed in Red Sea helicopter crash
- US Navy's controversial Zumwalt destroyer to hit the water for first time
- Rebel Wilson busted whilst making off with buffet
- President Obama catches fainting pregnant woman
- Bruce Lee didn't drink, but CGI Bruce Lee is in this liquor ad
- Meet Colonel Meow, the world's hairiest cat
- Buyers of Dell's new Latitude 6430u Ultrabook complain it smells of cat urine
- Stern family plane crash: Three killed after homemade plane crashes into nature preserve
- Christopher P. Dona named as Army Ranger killed in parachute mishap
- 'Mars Needs Moms' review: A charming, subversive, minor addition to CGI family film club
- New Jersey realtors Robert Lindsay and Jeannemarie Phelan used client's home for 'sexual escapades': report
- Mountain biker rockets down ski slope at 135 mph
- Is this the most sexist TV program in history? Chat show where women strip off as two men critique their naked bodies
- Magistrate: Drunken driver Tommie Robinson Jr wrecked going over 100 mph, killing passenger
- No charges pending against man injured in Opelika officer-involved shooting
- Foster child found chained to porch in North Carolina with dead chicken around his neck
- Jersey Bridgeman: Girl, 6, whose father chained her to a dresser found dead
- Lena Dunham strips off and Jimmy Kimmel gets punched in the face in hilarious Emmys opening skit
- One dead, one injured in shooting at apartment complex
- Shooting Expert William Abbate Faces Molestation Charges
- Rapper Kampane found slain in New Jersey: Performer was shot, then torched in back of SUV
- Jeremiah Fogle, 57, killed wife Theresa Brown and shot 2 pastors
- 1,000 mph car with Bloodhound rocket fired for first time (video)
- Wedding guest steps in to marry bride after groom disappears
- What Exactly Is COPD?
- Why doesn't Evan Gattis catch for Julio Teheran?
- Boy abducted in '94 found: Richard Landers, 5, taken by his grandparents in 1994 now living in Minnesota
- CNN anchor Deborah Feyeric claims meteor hurtling toward Earth could be a result of global warming
- Florida Man Steven Cozzie Held In Slaying of Georgia Teen Courtney Wilkes in Florida
- Three more arrests made in Augusta man's slaying
- Westgate mall survivor Sneha Kothari Mashru tells 'I used dead teen's blood to fool terrorists'
- Dunwoody police arrest Ronald Cox in child molestation case
- Southwest High School Plans to Raise Graduation Rate
- James Fortune to perform at free concert
- Tampa Bay Rays mascot holds inappropriate Steve Irwin sign
- Black North Carolina pastor to church volunteers: "Only white people" at front door of church
- Man with knife arrested at Buckingham Palace
- Ex-police officer Michael Bernard Wilson found guilty of molesting girl
- Police arrest 26-year-old Kerrianne Johnson for child molestation
- Fifth-grade teacher Lisa Davis investigated for sexually molesting 10-year-old boy in her class
- Paulding County gym teacher Robert Cartwright accused of molesting student
- Fayette assistant principal Darren Handley accused of stealing money
- Georgetown graduate Bess Rosenzweig dies in plane crash alongside her mother in Kenya
- Tyreke Evans Buzzer-Beater: Kings Guard Hits Game-Winner From Halfcourt (VIDEO)
- Georgia man Raymond Wilson sentenced to life for molesting children
- Two teens critical after plummeting 400ft down sheer granite rockface at Stone Mountain Park
- RSS Syndication
- lagos nigeria 23401 ( Nigerian Dating Scam ) 380
- Pastor Samuel Chapman jailed on child sex charges 79
- Asst. Principal’s Son Chandler Brookins Accused Of Rape In School Bathroom 70
- McDonald's Manager Tiffany Allen Accused Of Punching Customer 68
- Mother Of 5 Wazineh Suleiman Missing After Going To Rent Movie 31
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook 29
- 15-Year-Old Held In Girlfriend Angel Freeman's Killing; Gun Found In Creek 26
- New Mexico pastor Gregory Griego, woman, two girls and a boy shot dead during Saturday night shooting spree 25
- 'Wrap your legs around my head': Married Fox weatherman Geoff Fox fired after 'inappropriate' sexting chats with female photographer 22
- Teen Alex Dahm charged with drug possession 21
- Marietta Teen James Glover to be Tried as Adult in beating of a 94-year-old man 20
- Syfy's new show 'Defiance' sucks 20
- Dekalb County Teen Marquis Overstreet Found Shot, Killed, Stabbed 30 Times 19
- Joyriding teens Dustin Surrett, Tessa Upton nabbed in stolen Jaguar 19
- 17-year-old Quavante Combs drowns in Lake Lanier 18
- Husband James Felio Killed By Police After Fight With Wife 17
- James Taylor Named By Colleagues As Pilot From Cockpit Rant 17
- Babysitter Loni Bouchard 'had sex with boy, 14, she was hired to look after' 16
- Suspect In Double Homicide Michael Ntiamoah Is Federal Officer 15
- Police: Woman talking on cell caused crash killing 2 15
- Teacher Shannon Schmieder Sentenced to 40 Years for Affair with 14 Year Old 15
- Police: Ex-Substitute Rene Frank Pregnant With Student’s Twins 14
- Colin Kaepernick: Biological mother Heidi Russo wants relationship with quarterback son she gave up 14
- Teens Sarah Riffe, Michael Perry killed by Jeep in east Georgia town 13
- Gwinnett, Forsyth teens Brandon Hodges, Christian Walker, killed in wreck 13
- Tennessee woman Neena Costanza charged in death of her baby girl by her boyfriend 13
- Teen Demarquis Elkins Arrested in Georgia Baby Shooting Death 13
- Emma Watson suffers wardrobe malfunction night out 12
- Fleeing Driver Adam Sides Hits Officer Head-On During Chase 12
- Smyrna Police Officer Curtis Clyde Cook Fired After Drug Bust 12
- 16-Year-Old Son Charged In Crash That Killed His Mother 12
- 3 Pedestrians Hit, 2 Dead near Interstate 675 in Stockbridge 12
- Atlanta Woman Lashawna Threatt Dies after Fall from W Hotel Room 11
- Florida Man Steven Cozzie Held In Slaying of Georgia Teen Courtney Wilkes in Florida 11
- PICTURED: The assistant Melissa Nelson fired by dentist because she was 'irresistably attractive' and 'threat to his marriage' 11
- Teens Jekari Strozier, Antonio Pass, Johnathan Anthony, Kemonta Bonds charged in death of Mableton man 11
- Teen Cheyenne Sauls Killed In Crash; 17-Year-Old Driver Charged With DUI 10
- Daytona Woman Katie Burson Dies After House Party Shooting 10
- Florida woman Danisa Landaeta arrested for drawing picture of bomb on friend's bag at Miami International Airport 10
- Cops: Mableton Woman Chakaya Folborg stabs sister to death with steak knife 9
- Atlanta Woman Crystal Cross Alleges Beating From Ga. State Patrol 9
- UPDATE: Teen Terry Johnson, Charged In Murder of Shakira Hudson 8
- LA Fitness Manager Juhahn Belcher 's Death Ruled Suspicious 8
- Newnan officer Josh Keller shoots girlfriend in abdomen 8
- Off-Duty Officer Shoots Teen In Nightclub Parking Lot 8
- Dunkin' Donuts employee Melissa Redmond busted for prostitution; sold sex out of restaurant 8
- Teenage Boy Cody Riddle Drowns In Boone Lake 8
- Female Driver Priscilla Johnson Charged After Hitting 3 Teens with Car 8
- Pedestrian Latara Worthy run over, killed in Union City 8
- Revealed: Dramatic pictures of Trayvon's lifeless body as new evidence shows Zimmerman bleeding with 'broken nose' 8
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|