Georgetown professor tweets selfie wearing oxygen mask on diverted flight
- United Flight 3759 from Washington DC to Boston was diverted this morning after smoke started to fill the cabin
- Passenger Shashi Bellamkonda posted pictures on Twitter from inside the cabin and after the safe landing in Delaware
By Ashley Collman
PUBLISHED: 15:39 EST, 29 January 2014 | UPDATED: 16:04 EST, 29 January 2014
A morning flight from Washington, DC to Boston had to make an emergency landing in Delaware, but one passenger was so calm he even took a selfie with his seat mate.
Shashi Bellamkonda, an adjunct professor at Georgetown University, was heading to Boston on business Wednesday morning when smoke started coming out of the cabin's vents.
He told MailOnline that it was midway through the flight when the oxygen masks dropped, but most of the passengers didn't even put them on until instructed by the crew.
One last snap: Georgetown professor Sashi Bellamkonda (left) took this picture as his flight from Washington DC to Boston had to make an emergency landing this morning
Soon after, the pilot came over the intercom to announce that they would not make it to Boston, and would need to make an emergency landing because air pressure had dropped.
He said the atmosphere in the cabin remained calm, with passengers joking and taking pictures which she says is a testament to 'the period we live in'.
There was a little bit of stress over whether they would be a water landing, but luckily the pilot was able to set down at a small airport in Wilmington, Delaware.
Once safely out of the plane, the passengers had to suffer for a while in the bitter cold on the tarmac until the airport could dispatch buses to bring them inside to the terminal.
Safe but cold! The flight made a safe landing at a small airport in Wilmington, Delaware but the passengers had to wait for a while in the bitter cold for a bus to take them to the terminal
And it wasn't until mid-afternoon that another plane was brought in to take them on to their destination in Boston.
United Airline spokesman Luke Punzenberger issued a statement following the emergency landing.
'The Mesa Air flight, operating as United Express, landed safely in Delaware and we are working to get our customers to their final destinations as quickly as possible. The flight crew diverted the plane after a report of smoke in the cabin,' Mr Punzenberger said.
There were 58 people on board in addition to 4 crew members.
But Bellamkonda said he was happy with the way the situation played out, and is especially thankful to the pilot for a safe landing and to the small airport's hospitality.
He says the airport even bought pizzas for the passengers to eat since they didn't have any food vendors.
Limbo: United Airlines brought in another plane to take the flight to Boston around 2pm on Wednesday. In the hours between, the airport provided free pizza to the stranded passengers
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
- Deputies perform "pit maneuver" to end chase
- New Jersey Governor Chris Christie in Atlanta
- Magistrate: Drunken driver Tommie Robinson Jr wrecked going over 100 mph, killing passenger
- Is this the most sexist TV program in history? Chat show where women strip off as two men critique their naked bodies
- Prison intern Kayla Danielle Davis charged with sexual assault
- Sailor from Oregon Jonathon Gibson killed in Red Sea helicopter crash
- Stern family plane crash: Three killed after homemade plane crashes into nature preserve
- Mountain biker rockets down ski slope at 135 mph
- Christopher P. Dona named as Army Ranger killed in parachute mishap
- Man (or Superman?) survives being hit by train traveling 110 mph
- Florida man's smartphone takes a bullet for him
- Man buys $27 of bitcoin, now he's a millionaire
- Meet Colonel Meow, the world's hairiest cat
- Bruce Lee didn't drink, but CGI Bruce Lee is in this liquor ad
- Jennifer Lopez suffers embarrassing wardrobe malfunction live on German TV
- President Obama catches fainting pregnant woman
- Atlanta middle school principal resigns following report
- Buyers of Dell's new Latitude 6430u Ultrabook complain it smells of cat urine
- 1,000 mph car with Bloodhound rocket fired for first time (video)
- 'Mars Needs Moms' review: A charming, subversive, minor addition to CGI family film club
- Some UGA students calling for a change with arch ceremony
- Lady Gaga 'dumped' by boyfriend as he can't handle her alter-egos
- CNN anchor Deborah Feyeric claims meteor hurtling toward Earth could be a result of global warming
- Two teens critical after plummeting 400ft down sheer granite rockface at Stone Mountain Park
- RSS Syndication
- Antonio McDyess Buzzer Beater: Spurs Beat Lakers With Last-Second Tip-In (VIDEO)
- Rebel Wilson busted whilst making off with buffet
- Megachurch pastor bishop eddie long denies sexual relationships but admits: 'I told them to call me Daddy'
- Jeremiah Fogle, 57, killed wife Theresa Brown and shot 2 pastors
- James Fortune to perform at free concert
- High school teacher Carly McKinney, 23, 'tweeted nude photos of herself, called her students JAIL BAIT and talked about getting high'
- Gunmen throw grenades at mall in Nairobi, Kenya
- Athens man James Maurice Hood convicted in slaying over painkillers
- Black North Carolina pastor to church volunteers: "Only white people" at front door of church
- Pregnant weightlifter just two weeks away from giving birth provokes online storm
- 'Scorned wife' takes out brilliant classified ad
- Principal Kelvin Griffin resigns after allegations of affair with teacher, drugs on campus
- Florida Man Steven Cozzie Held In Slaying of Georgia Teen Courtney Wilkes in Florida
- US Navy's controversial Zumwalt destroyer to hit the water for first time
- Former principal John Ward arrested after his former student, 16, 'says he's the father of her baby'
- 'Deadliest known substance kept secret' - botox super-toxin
- Paulding County gym teacher Robert Cartwright accused of molesting student
- Louisa Ball: Real-life Sleeping Beauty who sleeps for two weeks at a time
- Why doesn't Evan Gattis catch for Julio Teheran?
- Southwest High School Plans to Raise Graduation Rate
- Tampa Bay Rays mascot holds inappropriate Steve Irwin sign
- Death toll rises to 39 in Kenya mall attack
- lagos nigeria 23401 ( Nigerian Dating Scam ) 380
- Pastor Samuel Chapman jailed on child sex charges 79
- Asst. Principal’s Son Chandler Brookins Accused Of Rape In School Bathroom 70
- McDonald's Manager Tiffany Allen Accused Of Punching Customer 68
- Mother Of 5 Wazineh Suleiman Missing After Going To Rent Movie 31
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook 29
- 15-Year-Old Held In Girlfriend Angel Freeman's Killing; Gun Found In Creek 26
- New Mexico pastor Gregory Griego, woman, two girls and a boy shot dead during Saturday night shooting spree 25
- 'Wrap your legs around my head': Married Fox weatherman Geoff Fox fired after 'inappropriate' sexting chats with female photographer 22
- Teen Alex Dahm charged with drug possession 21
- Marietta Teen James Glover to be Tried as Adult in beating of a 94-year-old man 20
- Syfy's new show 'Defiance' sucks 20
- Dekalb County Teen Marquis Overstreet Found Shot, Killed, Stabbed 30 Times 19
- Joyriding teens Dustin Surrett, Tessa Upton nabbed in stolen Jaguar 19
- 17-year-old Quavante Combs drowns in Lake Lanier 18
- Husband James Felio Killed By Police After Fight With Wife 17
- James Taylor Named By Colleagues As Pilot From Cockpit Rant 17
- Babysitter Loni Bouchard 'had sex with boy, 14, she was hired to look after' 16
- Suspect In Double Homicide Michael Ntiamoah Is Federal Officer 15
- Police: Woman talking on cell caused crash killing 2 15
- Teacher Shannon Schmieder Sentenced to 40 Years for Affair with 14 Year Old 15
- Police: Ex-Substitute Rene Frank Pregnant With Student’s Twins 14
- Colin Kaepernick: Biological mother Heidi Russo wants relationship with quarterback son she gave up 14
- Teens Sarah Riffe, Michael Perry killed by Jeep in east Georgia town 13
- Gwinnett, Forsyth teens Brandon Hodges, Christian Walker, killed in wreck 13
- Tennessee woman Neena Costanza charged in death of her baby girl by her boyfriend 13
- Teen Demarquis Elkins Arrested in Georgia Baby Shooting Death 13
- Emma Watson suffers wardrobe malfunction night out 12
- Fleeing Driver Adam Sides Hits Officer Head-On During Chase 12
- Smyrna Police Officer Curtis Clyde Cook Fired After Drug Bust 12
- 16-Year-Old Son Charged In Crash That Killed His Mother 12
- 3 Pedestrians Hit, 2 Dead near Interstate 675 in Stockbridge 12
- Atlanta Woman Lashawna Threatt Dies after Fall from W Hotel Room 11
- Florida Man Steven Cozzie Held In Slaying of Georgia Teen Courtney Wilkes in Florida 11
- PICTURED: The assistant Melissa Nelson fired by dentist because she was 'irresistably attractive' and 'threat to his marriage' 11
- Teens Jekari Strozier, Antonio Pass, Johnathan Anthony, Kemonta Bonds charged in death of Mableton man 11
- Teen Cheyenne Sauls Killed In Crash; 17-Year-Old Driver Charged With DUI 10
- Daytona Woman Katie Burson Dies After House Party Shooting 10
- Florida woman Danisa Landaeta arrested for drawing picture of bomb on friend's bag at Miami International Airport 10
- Cops: Mableton Woman Chakaya Folborg stabs sister to death with steak knife 9
- Atlanta Woman Crystal Cross Alleges Beating From Ga. State Patrol 9
- UPDATE: Teen Terry Johnson, Charged In Murder of Shakira Hudson 8
- LA Fitness Manager Juhahn Belcher 's Death Ruled Suspicious 8
- Newnan officer Josh Keller shoots girlfriend in abdomen 8
- Off-Duty Officer Shoots Teen In Nightclub Parking Lot 8
- Dunkin' Donuts employee Melissa Redmond busted for prostitution; sold sex out of restaurant 8
- Teenage Boy Cody Riddle Drowns In Boone Lake 8
- Female Driver Priscilla Johnson Charged After Hitting 3 Teens with Car 8
- Pedestrian Latara Worthy run over, killed in Union City 8
- Revealed: Dramatic pictures of Trayvon's lifeless body as new evidence shows Zimmerman bleeding with 'broken nose' 8
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|