Leonardo DiCaprio's father takes in 6-year-old granddaughter who was 'abducted' by parents
- Normandie Farrar, six, was claimed to have been 'abducted by a family member' and was located in Texas last Thursday
- The girl is the daughter of Adam Farrar, Leonardo DiCaprio's older step-brother
- Normandie has since been placed in the care of grandfather George DiCaprio, who lives in Los Angeles
- Farrar and girlfriend Charity Moore were said to have been living in Texas out of the reach of LA County Department of Children and Family Service
By Ashley Collman and Hugo Daniel
PUBLISHED: 21:08 EST, 3 February 2014 | UPDATED: 21:09 EST, 3 February 2014
Leonardo DiCaprio's niece who was 'abducted' by her criminal parents is now in the care of her grandfather, the actor's father George DiCaprio, after being found in Texas last Thursday.
Six-year-old Normandie Farrar is the daughter of DiCaprio's older step-brother Adam Farrar, 43, who was arrested on January 24 in Collin County, Texas on drug charges. Farrar's girlfriend Charity Moore, 38, was arrested just a week before on similar charges.
Because of their criminal histories, daughter Normandie was a dependent of the court in California and should not have been taken outside the state by her parents when they moved to Texas this summer.
Following his arrest, the Los Angeles Police Department accused Farrar of 'concealing' Normandie out of state.
Family outing: Leonardo DiCaprio's 6-year-old niece Normandie Farrar (center) is currently living with her grandfather George DiCaprio (right) in Los Angeles after being 'adbucted' by her parents to Texas
Carefree: The 6-year-old seemed happy while out running errands with her grandparents on Saturday. Her grandfather George DiCaprio (right) is the father of Leonardo DiCpario
Role model: Leonardo DiCaprio, pictured here in 1997 with Farrar, was inspired to go into acting after seeing his step-brother build a career in film and TV
The girl was found on January 30 and
taken back to California to live with her grandfather George DiCaprio at
his home in the Los Feliz neighborhood of Los Angeles, according to RadarOnline.
Photographers snapped the seemingly-happy 6-year-old out with her grandparents running errands in Los Angeles on Saturday.
DiCaprio, currently up for an Academy Award for his role in the Wolf of Wall Street, grew up with Farrar after his dad married Farrar's mother Peggy when he was young.Dicaprio's mother Iremlin DiCpario divorced George when her son was still a baby.
DiCaprio and Farrar used to be close and
the pair were seen attending Los Angeles Lakers games together and hitting
the Hollywood party scene – although in recent years it’s thought their
relationship has turned sour.
Sources told RadarOnline that Farrar and his Oscar nominee step-brother 'have had zero contact in recent years and do not get along.'
Taken: Authorities in LA accused Normandie's father Adam Farrar (right) of concealing her in Texas. She was a dependent of the court in California
It is widely reported that DiCaprio was inspired to go into acting after he saw his step-brother carve a career for himself in commercials, movies and TV in the 1980s.
Farrar is best known for his roles in the science fiction series Battlestar Galactica and the ABC comedy-drama Eight is Enough.
Farrar was detained in Collin County on January 24 on 'two Class A Misdemeanors...for possession of a dangerous drug and theft'.
to the website, both charges were outstanding warrants issued in Los
Angeles. He was also reportedly charged with phone harassment.
If convicted, the 43-year-old faces a lengthy prison sentence.
In an interview with MailOnline yesterday, Rachell Costin, a younger sister of Charity, had said the family knew where the girl was, but refused to reveal her whereabouts.
Asked if the Normandie was with a relative, Rachell, 28, from Garland, Texas, said: 'I can't tell anyone that information, I wish I could, but I definitely want to let you know she is safe, so that way you don't report maybe she's still missing and report wrong information.
Have you seen this child? Authorities were searching for missing Normadie Farrar, pictured
Rachell, who has an eight-month-old son herself, claimed her sister was a good mom.
She said: 'Charity loves her daughter so much. I can tell you that, I can tell you that Charity does love her daughter a lot and she definitely would never want her to be in an unsafe place or anything. I'm sure she does (know Normandie is in a safe place), I haven't talked to her though about that.'
Asked about the drug allegations against her sister, Rachell said: 'I know nothing about Charity and her alleged drug use, I know nothing about that.
'I don't want to even comment on the drug use, I've just known her to be the same Charity my whole life, I don't want to say whether yes or no. She really loves, her daughter, She's a good mum to her daughter.'
She added that as far as she was aware Normandie was not subject to a missing person search.
Rachell said: 'As far as I know, police here are not and police in LA shouldn't be either. I guess when they first got arrested maybe they were then, but I can let you know now she's safe. It's nobody else's business about what's going on with her.'
Trouble with the law: Farrar's girlfriend Charity Moore was also arrested nearly a week before him on a number of charges. Both were said to have been hiding out in Texas beyond the reach of LA social workers
Lengthy: Her charges include two counts of possession of a dangerous drug, theft and a misdemeanor involving a parent contributing to the child's failure to attend school'
Back in the day: DiCaprio and his brother used to be close, pictured attending a basketball game together in LA in 2010
2010, Farrar has been in and out of courts on charges of harassment,
possession of controlled substances, driving without a license and
In 2000, as DiCaprio was riding the success of his blockbuster Titanic, Farrar was arrested on charges that he attempted to kill his then-girlfriend and made terroristic threats.
At the time, Peggy DiCaprio said of her troubled son: 'Adam is one of the most nonviolent people I know,’ according to New York Daily News.
Farrar was released within 48 hours of his March 2000 arrest, and the charges against him were eventually dropped.
People Magazine reported that two years earlier, the struggling actor landed in trouble with the law after allegedly assaulting a photographer who was pursuing his superstar sibling. Charges were never filed in that case.
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
- QVC queen Lisa Robertson lives in fear after having FOUR stalkers
- Move over selfies... it's time for the dronie: New trend for capturing you and your pals in wide angle aerial shots from a remote controlled camera
- College Board gives a sneak peak at redesigned SAT
- Kristine Kirk, 44, is shot dead 'in front of kids by husband Richard Kirk who was hallucinating after eating a marijuana cookie' - and she had already been on phone to 911 for 13 MINUTES
- Cops: Wife Kia Jeffries kills former pro boxer Earnest Abdul-Mateen in self-defense
- Justice Dept. appealing morning-after pill decision
- Medicaid caution warranted, lawmakers said
- Some South Carolina schools see drop in annual assessment
- Georgia Grandparents Arrested for leaving Grandson at a Walmart
- SC prison guard gave inmates key impressions
- Property tax appeal hearings suspended indefinitely
- Feds 'working with' Georgia even as plans drop out of exchange
- Heavy rain leaves one Aiken County yard inundated by water
- Police seek help identifying people cashing forged checks
- Officials: Airport worker won't be punished after run-in with manager
- Flood warning for north Georgia
- Stone Mountain Woman Leann Corley Fakes Pregnancy to Smuggle Pills
- Jewelry store donates portion of sales to Children's Hospital
- Milton Mother Shannon Lawrence Killed During Custody Exchange
- North Carolina girl, 3, loses part of both legs in lawn mower accident
- Hadley Boberg, 20, froze to death after she and a friend lost keys to their Jeep while hiking in Utah woods in frigid weather
- Magistrate: Drunken driver Tommie Robinson Jr wrecked going over 100 mph, killing passenger
- Ga. police department adds hybrids to its fleet
- Tragedy as 13-month-old toddler is shot dead in his stroller by teenage robber in front of mother
- Police say Augusta man is person of interest in car break-ins
- Salt intake falls 15%... and heart deaths fall 40% (but we still eat too much of it)
- Chestnut sets new world record in hot dog eating contest
- Seattle sewage plant offers FLUSHING brides a $2,000 weddings deal
- Lowe's Home Improvement Store to bring 600 jobs to northwest Georgia
- Ga. governor strikes cautious note on solar energy
- State Farm holding career fair August 6, 7
- DeKalb high school basketball player Terrell Coleman dies
- Popularity of IPA Day signals rise of American craft beers
- Principal Kelvin Griffin resigns after allegations of affair with teacher, drugs on campus
- National Geographic reveals 50 tours of a lifetime (and Scotland is the only entry for UK)
- Region that shaped Tsarnaev more volatile
- Dammion Heard's parents dispute findings that their star wrestler son, 20, killed himself as it's revealed the college student got into a fight the night he went missing
- LIFE IN PRISON: Ariel Castro: "I'm not a monster, I'm sick"
- Aspiring model Chelsea Gerrish, 20, killed in horrific road rage crash after being rammed head-on by father-of-three
- DeKalb mom Meriel Bemis charged in toddler's death
- Father, daughter arrested after 6-year-old found living in filth
- Stock shares of Aflac, Synovus and TSYS ride higher on Wall Street once again
- ATM stolen in smash-and-grab at Mall at West End
- Situation clears some units Wood House Lane
- Elementary school principal John McGill busted in child sex sting
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook
- Two teens critical after plummeting 400ft down sheer granite rockface at Stone Mountain Park
- Prank Justin Beiber protest draws attention in Buckhead
- Police arrest Woodstock man Anthony Couse for making car bomb sign
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|