Olympic medal winners taxed up to 39.6 PER CENT on prize money
- The U.S. Olympic Committee awards $25,000 for a gold medal, $15,000 for silver and $10,000 for bronze
- The United States is one of the few countries that taxes money earned outside its borders, at rates as high as 39.6 per cent
- The Olympic medal tax also applies to the value of the base metal in each medal – and gold is currently trading at $1,260 per ounce
- Athletes who excel in Sochi will have to treat their prize money as though it were earned in the U.S., even though they'll be competing in Russia
- House Republicans have a bill that would exempt Olympic athletes from taxes on their medal bonuses, and the White House has expressed support
By David Martosko, U.s. Political Editor
PUBLISHED: 12:47 EST, 7 February 2014 | UPDATED: 14:26 EST, 7 February 2014
The White House doesn't like it, and neither does a prominent Senate Republican, but Olympic athletes who win medals in Sochi will have to pay federal income taxes on their cash bonuses.
The U.S. Olympic Committee awards $25,000 for each gold medal, $15,000 for silver and $10,000 for bronze. But top athletes who are in the top income tax bracket , 39.6 per cent, will have to fork over as much as $9,900 of a gold medal payout.
Competitors in Sochi, Russia will be able to deduct their expenses that aren't covered by the Olympic Committee or their others sponsors, but there may be additional taxes levied by states and cities on top of what Uncle Sam takes.
And adding insult to injury, any precious metals in their medals will also be taxed. The Sochi gold medals will be worth $566, and contain mostly silver.
The could drive the total federal tax liability for a gold medal winner north of $10,000.
All hail the Olympic taxpayers! Any valuable Americans win in Sochi, and the cash bonuses that come with them, will be subject to hefty federal income taxes
Magic: The Sochi Winter Olympics are underway, and as the u.S. medal count rises, so will Uncle Sam's take of the proceeds
In 2012 Florida Senator Marco Rubio introduced legislation that would exempt Olympic athletes from paying income taxes on their bonuses. The White House said at the time that President Obama supported the measure.
'Our tax code is a complicated and burdensome mess that too often punishes success, and the tax imposed on Olympic medal winners is a classic example of this madness,' said Rubio when he introduced the Olympic Tax Elimination Act.
'Athletes representing our nation overseas in the Olympics shouldn’t have to worry about an extra tax bill waiting for them back home.'
A Rubio spokesman told MailOnline that the Republican lawmaker hasn't reintroduced the bill since the end of the last Congress.
But some House Republicans, led by Texas Rep. Blake Fahrenthold, have launched a similar effort, he said, and 'we’re seeing how the effort proceeds in that chamber.'
Fahrenthold filed his bill on Wednesday, saying that 'this needless tax illustrates how complicated and burdensome our tax code has become. We need a fairer system for all, and eliminating this unnecessary tax burden on our athletes is a good way to start.'
White House Press Secretary Jay Carney signaled the president's enthusiasm for Rubio's measure in August 2012 when a reporter asked about it.
'The president believes that we should support efforts – like, I think, the bill you’re referencing – to ensure that we are doing everything we can to honor and support our Olympic athletes who have volunteered to represent our nation at the Olympic Games. So he supports that bill. If it were to get to his desk, he would support it.'
Smile: You're not American: British cyclists won gold in London, but they'd be faced with a big tax bill if they were part of Team USA
Not that kind of ring, so no new taxes: The presentation of the Olympic rings was part of the opening ceremony in Sochi, Russia on Friday -- but the fifth ring failed to light up
Americans for Tax Reform, an anti-tax crusader group in Washington led by conservative firebrand Grover Norquist, publicized the Olympic medal taxes on Friday with the suggestion that the U.S. should stop taxing all money earned overseas.
'Because the U.S. is one of only a handful of developed countries that tax income earned abroad, it is likely America's competitors will not be subject to such a tax,' the group said in a statement.'
'Taken together – the tax on Olympic athletes and the tax on income earned abroad – it can be said the U.S. has officially "earned the Gold" for having one of the most backwards and illogical tax codes in the world.'
The nonpartisan Tax Foundation agrees the the U.S. should adopt a so-called 'territorial' tax system that would allow Americans to bring their overseas earnings back home without fear of hefty taxes. Much of that income has already been taxed in the countries where it was earned.
'There is no reason to privilege the winnings of American Olympians over the income earned by any other hardworking citizen,' the group said.
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Is this the most sexist TV program in history? Chat show where women strip off as two men critique their naked bodies
A Danish chat show where women silently undress as the male host and a guest critique their bodies has been branded humiliating and sexist by ... Full story
- Hope Solo: 911 call details on altercation with then-fiance Jerramy Stevens
- Police: Stockbridge man John Wesley Morgan, Jr shoots, kills elderly father
- Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth ‘split’ rumors persist
- Crack-smoking mayor knocks down councillor in stormy debate
- Teacher Shannon Schmieder Sentenced to 40 Years for Affair with 14 Year Old
- Lady Gaga 'dumped' by boyfriend as he can't handle her alter-egos
- AT&T: Apple Exclusivity Deal Won't Last Forever
- Jewelry store donates portion of sales to Children's Hospital
- Tornadoes ravage South and Midwest wiping entire Indiana town off the map
- Rookie Blake Griffin Throws Down ABSURD Alley-Oop
- Mountain biker rockets down ski slope at 135 mph
- The greatest underwater photographs from around the world
- Lena Dunham strips off and Jimmy Kimmel gets punched in the face in hilarious Emmys opening skit
- Georgia woman Stacey Schoeck pleads guilty in Valentine's Day slaying
- Pastor Samuel Chapman jailed on child sex charges
- Louisa Ball: Real-life Sleeping Beauty who sleeps for two weeks at a time
- Jeremiah Fogle, 57, killed wife Theresa Brown and shot 2 pastors
- Veteran skydiver Sean Carey plummets to death during competition
- Tennessee man and his current wife arrested in ex-wife's slaying in Germantown
- Family of I-85 hit and run victim speaks out
- Morehouse men use spring break to mentor students
- Caught on camera: Armed robbers nab prescription drugs
- Tech Check: Smartphone memory hogs
- 'Mars Needs Moms' review: A charming, subversive, minor addition to CGI family film club
- T.I. Arrested: Rapper Clifford Harris And Wife Tameka Cottle Face Drug Charges
- Stern family plane crash: Three killed after homemade plane crashes into nature preserve
- Ex-DeKalb principal Angela Jennings in indictment turns herself in
- Funny Wi-Fi network names that will alienate and amuse your neighbors
- Is soy good for you?
- Local reaction to missing airplane
- Your cutlery changes how your food tastes
- Jennifer Lopez suffers embarrassing wardrobe malfunction live on German TV
- Britney's Spears suffers from scaly feet
- Jesse James Marries Heiress Alexis DeJoria
- Gregory Favors Identified as State Trooper Shooting Suspect
- Megachurch pastor Wiley Jackson, brother indicted for alleged business scheme
- Atlanta man Michael Oneal charged in double slaying
- Paulding County gym teacher Robert Cartwright accused of molesting student
- Police arrest 26-year-old Kerrianne Johnson for child molestation
- lagos nigeria 23401 ( Nigerian Dating Scam )
- Tax-free weekend coming up soon for Alabama & Georgia
- Situation clears some units Wood House Lane
- Rhode Island ditches Christmas, Atheist Rejoice in 'HOLIDAY' tree lighting
- Excited cheetah grazes face of Botswana president Ian Khama
- Video shows driver Stephanie Wilkerson literally kicking special needs girl off the bus
- Cashier Mary Jane Hart sells herself $1 million winning Powerball ticket
- ‘Who’s that girl?’ Mystery woman crashes Olympic delegation
- No zoo for you, kid. The US government shutdown hates children
- 10 ways to improve your body
- lagos nigeria 23401 ( Nigerian Dating Scam ) 380
- Pastor Samuel Chapman jailed on child sex charges 79
- Asst. Principal’s Son Chandler Brookins Accused Of Rape In School Bathroom 70
- McDonald's Manager Tiffany Allen Accused Of Punching Customer 68
- Mother Of 5 Wazineh Suleiman Missing After Going To Rent Movie 31
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook 29
- 15-Year-Old Held In Girlfriend Angel Freeman's Killing; Gun Found In Creek 26
- New Mexico pastor Gregory Griego, woman, two girls and a boy shot dead during Saturday night shooting spree 25
- 'Wrap your legs around my head': Married Fox weatherman Geoff Fox fired after 'inappropriate' sexting chats with female photographer 22
- Teen Alex Dahm charged with drug possession 21
- Marietta Teen James Glover to be Tried as Adult in beating of a 94-year-old man 20
- Syfy's new show 'Defiance' sucks 20
- Dekalb County Teen Marquis Overstreet Found Shot, Killed, Stabbed 30 Times 19
- Joyriding teens Dustin Surrett, Tessa Upton nabbed in stolen Jaguar 19
- 17-year-old Quavante Combs drowns in Lake Lanier 18
- Husband James Felio Killed By Police After Fight With Wife 17
- James Taylor Named By Colleagues As Pilot From Cockpit Rant 17
- Babysitter Loni Bouchard 'had sex with boy, 14, she was hired to look after' 16
- Suspect In Double Homicide Michael Ntiamoah Is Federal Officer 15
- Police: Woman talking on cell caused crash killing 2 15
- Teacher Shannon Schmieder Sentenced to 40 Years for Affair with 14 Year Old 15
- Police: Ex-Substitute Rene Frank Pregnant With Student’s Twins 14
- Colin Kaepernick: Biological mother Heidi Russo wants relationship with quarterback son she gave up 14
- Teens Sarah Riffe, Michael Perry killed by Jeep in east Georgia town 13
- Gwinnett, Forsyth teens Brandon Hodges, Christian Walker, killed in wreck 13
- Tennessee woman Neena Costanza charged in death of her baby girl by her boyfriend 13
- Teen Demarquis Elkins Arrested in Georgia Baby Shooting Death 13
- Emma Watson suffers wardrobe malfunction night out 12
- Fleeing Driver Adam Sides Hits Officer Head-On During Chase 12
- Smyrna Police Officer Curtis Clyde Cook Fired After Drug Bust 12
- 16-Year-Old Son Charged In Crash That Killed His Mother 12
- 3 Pedestrians Hit, 2 Dead near Interstate 675 in Stockbridge 12
- Atlanta Woman Lashawna Threatt Dies after Fall from W Hotel Room 11
- Florida Man Steven Cozzie Held In Slaying of Georgia Teen Courtney Wilkes in Florida 11
- PICTURED: The assistant Melissa Nelson fired by dentist because she was 'irresistably attractive' and 'threat to his marriage' 11
- Teens Jekari Strozier, Antonio Pass, Johnathan Anthony, Kemonta Bonds charged in death of Mableton man 11
- Teen Cheyenne Sauls Killed In Crash; 17-Year-Old Driver Charged With DUI 10
- Daytona Woman Katie Burson Dies After House Party Shooting 10
- Florida woman Danisa Landaeta arrested for drawing picture of bomb on friend's bag at Miami International Airport 10
- Cops: Mableton Woman Chakaya Folborg stabs sister to death with steak knife 9
- Atlanta Woman Crystal Cross Alleges Beating From Ga. State Patrol 9
- UPDATE: Teen Terry Johnson, Charged In Murder of Shakira Hudson 8
- LA Fitness Manager Juhahn Belcher 's Death Ruled Suspicious 8
- Newnan officer Josh Keller shoots girlfriend in abdomen 8
- Off-Duty Officer Shoots Teen In Nightclub Parking Lot 8
- Dunkin' Donuts employee Melissa Redmond busted for prostitution; sold sex out of restaurant 8
- Teenage Boy Cody Riddle Drowns In Boone Lake 8
- Female Driver Priscilla Johnson Charged After Hitting 3 Teens with Car 8
- Pedestrian Latara Worthy run over, killed in Union City 8
- Revealed: Dramatic pictures of Trayvon's lifeless body as new evidence shows Zimmerman bleeding with 'broken nose' 8
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|