Winter Storm Pax: Snow set to hit the South AGAIN as big freeze goes on in the North East
- Swathe of snow, sleet and freezing rain expected to hit the South this week
- Forecasters dubbed the upcoming cold snap 'Winter Storm Pax'
- The North East will be spared snow this week, but the mercury will hover around the 10s and 20s
By Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 00:07 EST, 10 February 2014 | UPDATED: 03:33 EST, 10 February 2014
Another round of snow and ice dubbed 'Winter Storm Pax' is expected to coat Atlanta and other parts of the Deep South this week.
Less than two weeks after some southern cities were crippled by a couple of inches of snow, forecasters have issued another winter storm watch for the Georgia area.
With forecasters predicting snow, sleet and freezing rain for parts of Kansas, Oklahoma and possibly north Texas on Monday, Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed has begun to treat priority roads and bridges to avoid another ice storm fiasco.
Monday forecast: Meteorologists say snow, sleet and freezing rain will develop in parts of Kansas, Oklahoma and possibly north Texas on Monday
Monday night forecast: Temperatures are expected to plummet overnight in the South
Georgia Governor Nathan Deal was forced to apologize for the state's poor handling of last month's snow storm, which left hundreds of children stranded in schools overnight, some without provisions, and created traffic jams stretching for miles on roads coated with just two inches of snow.
According to The Weather Channel the next swathe of southern snow will kick off on Monday morning, as a stripe of wet conditions develop in parts of Kansas, Oklahoma and possibly extreme north Texas. It will then spread eastward into the Mid-South region.
Several inches of snow and sleet may accumulate by early Monday evening in parts of Oklahoma, Arkansas, and parts of west Tennessee and northern Mississippi, making travel hazardous.
As cold air near the surface continues to build overnight, rain may become freezing in parts of northeast Texas, northern Louisiana, southern Arkansas, northern and central Mississippi, northern Alabama, and northwest Georgia from Monday to Tuesday.
The Weather Channel also predicts that snow will shift out of Arkansas and Oklahoma into Tennessee and North Carolina from Monday night to Tuesday.
Snow is also possible for the northernmost counties of Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia, with some sleet expected. These conditions are slated to continue until at least Wednesday.
Tuesday forecast: Driving rain is predicted for parts of the South on Tuesday, including in Atlanta and New Orleans
Tuesday night forecast: Forecasters say snow will shift out of Arkansas and Oklahoma into Tennessee and North Carolina Monday night into Tuesday, with snow also possible for the northernmost counties of Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia
Meanwhile in the North East, The Weather Channel reports most of the snow will be over for the region by Monday morning.
Snow showers and flurries are likely from western Pennsylvania through northern New England, with a band of light snow across southern Virginia not expected to get higher than an inch.
The remainder of the region is expected to be dry and cold, with highs mostly in the 10s and 20s.
In New York, the mercury will hover around the 30s until Thursday when it is forecast to rise to 39 degrees.
Standstill: A winter storm that would probably be no big deal in the North all but paralyzed the Deep South last month, bringing snow, ice and teeth-chattering cold
Commuters in Atlanta were caught in gridlock and some drivers abandoned their cars to get to shelter during last month's fierce snowstorm last month
Unprepared: Georgia National Guard troops were called in to help people get their stranded cars out of the snow in Atlanta last month during a rare ice storm which turned the city into a slippery mess
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
- Southern Charm finale introduces Thomas Ravenel and Kathryn Dennis' baby girl
- The dog with a thousand hilarious faces who LOVES to play fetch
- Pictured hours before his fatal slip in New York bar: Camilla's brother Mark Shand, 62, smiling for camera's with his 'secret fianceé, Ruth Powys, 36, and Princess Eugenie
- Inmate Amy Hightower Re-Arrested After Escaping Hospital
- UPDATE: Recorder's Court judge orders Michael Johnson held without bond in Steve Toms' death
- Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall's brother Mark Shand in critical condition after fall outside NY club
- Jennifer Lopez suffers embarrassing wardrobe malfunction live on German TV
- Man demands realtor takes back mansion he leased for knock-down price after discovering it is 'haunted' after gruesome murder took place there
- Heartbreaking farewell video Maddie Yates, 16, posted to YouTube before suicide
- Man buys $27 of bitcoin, now he's a millionaire
- 11-year-old boy beaten by grandmother and mother who then POST VIDEO of abuse on Facebook
- Man shot outside South DeKalb Mall
- Authorities investigate threat at Paulding Co. High
- Teacher Saralyn Gayle Portwood arrested for inappropriate relationship with student
- 'Sizzurp' cough syrup used by Justin Bieber and Lil' Wayne has been pulled off the market amid manufacturer fears it's being abused as a drug
- Controversial pastor Arthur Allen dies in house fire
- Principal Kelvin Griffin resigns after allegations of affair with teacher, drugs on campus
- Paying tribute to Mr. Awesome: Celebrities pose with self-portrait of boy, 7, who died in freak swimming pool electrocution
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook
- Chrysler recalling almost 900,000 SUVs after it was found the brakes can become corroded when exposed to water
- Father, daughter arrested after 6-year-old found living in filth
- 2-year-old drowns in Paulding Co. pool
- 'New low' for Joan Rivers as women held captive by Ariel Castro demand apology for Today show joke she made at their expense
- Georgia Tech student Saamar Akhshabi dies from injuries after setting himself on fire last month
- City inspects pipelines after sinkholes occur
- 'They had robbed my family': Widow's anguish as three teens indicted for killing married father of two on son's birthday after he willingly gave the muggers his wallet
- DeKalb mom Meriel Bemis charged in toddler's death
- Tobias A. Bowen caught in Britain
- Outrage over Georgia deputy sheriff Chad Palmer who dressed in blackface as an inmate 'picking cotton' for Halloween party
- Five-year-old starved in closet Jordan Bleimeyer pictured on road to recovery
- Aspiring model Chelsea Gerrish, 20, killed in horrific road rage crash after being rammed head-on by father-of-three
- Ohio teacher fired after telling black student he didn't need another black president after Obama
- A playboy and gossip but he never let his beloved sister down: Richard Kay on the Mark Shand he knew
- Ted Cruz posts picture of himself grinning alongside skin of endangered tiger
- Duke and Duchess learn to DJ: William and Kate hit the decks in Adelaide as they visit suburb named after the Queen
- How female musical tastes change when she is at her most fertile
- Justin Bieber alienates Chinese fans with visit to Japanese war shrine
- Police arrest Woodstock man Anthony Couse for making car bomb sign
- Columbus police make shoplifting arrests at Peachtree Mall
- Elementary school principal John McGill busted in child sex sting
- Falcons 2014-2015 schedule released
- Medical Center cutting ties with Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Ukraine crisis breakthrough as Sergey Lavrov says diplomats agree to protect people's rights
- DeKalb high school basketball player Terrell Coleman dies
- One shot, 1 injured in West Midtown robbery
- New York Yankees pitcher Michael Pineda ejected for ball tampering in Boston
- The nine annoying personalities you'll find at the gym
- Prank Justin Beiber protest draws attention in Buckhead
- Dr. Zyad Younan refuses to pay $135k strip club bill because he claims he was 'drugged'
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|