Pictured: Betty Lou Motes, mother of warring Julia Roberts and Nancy Motes
- Betty Lou Motes looked frail and visibly shaken this afternoon as she visited the Oscar-winner
- Dressed in a tartan hat and black jacket, the elderly woman was driven by a friend from her home in Pacific Palisades to Julia's mansion in Malibu in a white Cadillac SUV
- The visit came after it was reported that Nancy Motes left a five page suicide note in which she accused her famous sibling of driving her to kill herself
- Motes, 37, was found dead of an apparent drug overdose Sunday, in a full bathtub at a Santa Monica home where she was pet-sitting
By Helen Pow and Chris White
PUBLISHED: 17:11 EST, 11 February 2014 | UPDATED: 17:51 EST, 11 February 2014
Julia Roberts' grief-stricken mother looked frail and visibly shaken this afternoon as she visited the Oscar-winner following the apparent suicide death of her younger daughter, Nancy Motes.
Dressed in a tartan hat and black jacket, Betty Lou Motes was driven by a friend from her home in Pacific Palisades to Julia's mansion in Malibu in a white Cadillac SUV.
The visit came after it was reported that Nancy left a five page suicide note in which she accused her famous sibling of driving her to kill herself.
Nancy, 37, was found dead of an apparent drug overdose Sunday, in a full bathtub at a Santa Monica home where she was pet-sitting.
Scroll down for video
Upset: Julia Roberts' mother Betty Lou Motes is seen leaving her home in Los Angeles looking frail and upset Tuesday afternoon
Support: Dressed in a tartan hat and black jacket, Betty Lou Motes, left, was driven by a friend, right, from her home in Pacific Palisades to Julia's mansion in Malibu in a white Cadillac SUV
Grieving: Betty's daughter Nancy Motes, who is Julia's half-sister, died of a drug overdose in LA on Sunday. Betty is seen going to Julia Roberts Malibu home with a friend
Her fiancé discovered her body, which had been dead as long as 12 hours, but a responding EMT worker recovered the extensive letter, according to the New York Daily News.
In the note, Nancy dedicated three pages to her tortured relationship with the Pretty Woman actress, the Daily News quoted a source close to the investigation as saying.
'It was definitely a suicide. She left a five-page suicide letter. The EMT found it,' the source told the Daily News.
'There were three pages of rantings that her sister drove her to do this. There was one page to her mom, telling her how much she loved her, and one page apologizing to (her fiancé).'
Nancy and Dilbeck were scheduled to be married in May, but the Georgia native seemed to be unraveling recently.
Emotional: Nancy Motes appeared to post aggressive messages onto her Twitter account in the weeks prior to her tragic death apparently attacking her half-sister Julia Roberts
Sisters: Nancy Motes is pictured in this photo with Julia Roberts when the Oscar winning actress was around 22 years old
On Twitter, she sounded decidedly unstable, lashing out at Julia, whom she claims bullied her about her weight when they were growing up.
'So my "sister" said that with all her friends & fans she doesn't need any more love. Just so you all know "America's Sweetheart" is a B****!!' she tweeted on January 20, referring to Roberts.
'Do you want to be a fan of someone so cruel? She's not even that good of an actress. Happy you totally F***ed with me?' she added in a subsequent tweet before claiming she'd never been more angry.
'I must admit I maybe going to far… But I never been so angry in my life. I'm actually a pretty easygoing, peaceful person.'
'(M)y own family has abandoned me,' she tweeted January 22.
Three weeks later, she was dead.
The emotional comments, seen on the Twitter handle @Dabbs76, had been deleted by Tuesday morning.
Different name: Nancy Motes used her husband-to-be (left and right with Nancy) John Dilbeck's last name for her Twitter handle and in a series of posts from October onwards appeared to launch into assaults on her half-sister Julia Roberts
Gone too soon: Nancy Motes, pictured in August (left), died on Sunday from an apparent drug overdose; she is the half-sister of Julia Roberts (right)
Rage: Nancy Motes, tweeted under her husband-to-be's last name online. This vitriolic attack is believed to be against her half-sister, Julia Roberts and happened a little more than a month before she died
Pain: Nancy Motes is also believed to have launched these attacks on the star of Pretty Woman and Mystic Pizza - calling her cruel and blaming her for causing her rage despite her best efforts to remain calm
Sad: Nancy Motes posted these bittersweet tweets in October - in which she laments that she is having to leave her family to find the love she craves from another
The most recent Twitter outburst followed similar rants late last year.
For example, Nancy had written previously of her family abandoning her.
'Feeling blessed, even though I'm sick as a dog! I'm very grateful that I have my loves family, since my own family has abandoned me,' she tweeted, referring to her new partner.
Her next tweets also appeared to be angrily directed at the Notting Hill star.
She tweeted: 'Hey Hag! Glad you f****ed with me yet? You’re going to LOVE what’s coming! FYI-You’re an awful, hate filled old pathetic excuse for a human.
'I must be grateful & not hateful. I must forgive. But Damn that is a REALLY hard thing to do sometimes, right?!?!'
Back on December 19, Nancy also
sounded depressed. She wrote: 'I must remember how blessed I am even in
this very low point in my life. I want ALL of my family to have an
awesome magical Christmas!'
Family: Roberts with Motes and their mother Betty Lou when the star was filming 1997's My Best Friend's Wedding
And on December 15 she tweeted: 'Must remember to stay strong. Life is a fight. You have to stay in it.'
Back in October Nancy also spoke about her family rift, tweeting: 'It’s a shame when you get more support from strangers than you do from your family. I can’t wait to officially belong to another family!'
She also wrote that she was getting support from her and Julia’s mother Betty, writing: 'So glad to have the support & love of my friends & mom!
Nancy last tweeted on Saturday, the day before she was found dead in the bathtub.
She wrote: 'Hope everyone is enjoying their Saturdays & watching East Los High! Season 3 coming soon!'
Nancy joined twitter last August and had 69 followers.
She posted several happy photos with her fiancé John Dilbeck who she was due to marry on May 17.
Still a smashing success: At 46, Roberts is more in demand than ever; here she leaves a talk about her Meryl Streep drama on February 4
Nancy had been tweeting excitedly about the big day, on October 21 she wrote: 'I found my beautiful shoes for my wedding day! And anyone that wants to bring me down during all the planning I have to do can kiss my ass!'
On October 3 she tweeted a photo of them together, writing: 'YAY! Wedding Venue found! Wedding dress found! Things are truly happening! It's all soooo exciting! I love him!'
Since her tormented tweets were made public overnight, they key sections have been deleted.
On top: The actress on the February cover of Vanity Fair, on stands now
On Monday, her family confirmed to People the 37-year-old had passed away in what appears to be an overdose.
'It is with deep sadness that the family of Nancy Motes ... confirms that she was found dead in Los Angeles yesterday of an apparent drug overdose,' the statement read. 'There is no official report from the Coroner's office yet. The family is both shocked and devastated.'
She was discovered in the bathtub of a home by her fiancé John Dilbeck and pronounced dead at 2:12 p.m., a spokesman for the Los Angeles Coroner's Office told MailOnline.
It is believed she was found at a house where she was pet-sitting for a friend.
Today, Ed Winter, assistant chief at the LA County Coroner's Office, said: ‘The autopsy has been completed and the cause of death has been deferred depending on the toxicology reports. This can take between six and eight weeks.
‘A number of prescription medications were found in the bathroom area as were illegal drugs. We are still investigating whether they were hers or not. We’re not releasing what illegal drugs they were.
‘It could be a possible suicide, but we don’t know the cause of death yet for sure, which is depending on further investigation. It’s more complicated as she also had some medical issues, so we’re not sure what happened at the moment.
'We are not being specific what those issues are, but it could mean a number of reasons for her death, she could have been taking a bath and had a heart attack. We just don’t know at this stage.'
Julia's rep did not return calls to MailOnline. The actress cancelled an appearance at an Academy Awards luncheon on Monday.
Nancy was an aspiring actress who had worked as a production assistant on TV's Glee.
Julia and Nancy had the same mother, Betty Lou, but different fathers: Nancy's dad was Michael Motes and Julia's is the late Walter Grady Roberts.
In August the blonde had complained about growing up in the shadow of the Pretty Woman star, who has been working the awards circuit this year for her turn in August: Osage County with Meryl Streep.
Thinner: Nancy Motes looked considerably thinner in August 2013 as she grabbed coffee near her home in Santa Monica
The younger sibling had said she was known as Julia's 'fat little sister' and said the Oscar-winner had taunted her about her weight, leading her to undergo weight loss surgery in June 2012.
Roberts, 46, made her feel embarrassed and ashamed of her weight, according to Nancy, which peaked at 20st.
She resorted to a £20,000 gastric bypass operation last year.
'It makes me feel incredibly hurt and very sad,' Motes said. 'When you're in a family of very, very exceptionally beautiful people it's intimidating.'
Her other siblings include Eric Roberts, 57, and Lisa Roberts Gillan, 48, who are also actors.
Actress Emma Roberts is the daughter of Eric.
'I think that growing up as Pretty Woman's little sister has definitely made me try to see the person inside and not the person outside,' she added. 'A lot of my life I felt judged for my weight.'
Busy woman: Roberts has been working the awards circuit for her turn in August: Osage County, which she did here on January 18 while attending the Screen Actors Guild Awards
Motes, who grew up in the US state of Georgia, was only 13 when Roberts shot to Hollywood fame as hooker Vivian Ward in Pretty Woman.
The actress, who had won a Golden Globe for playing a young bride in Steel Magnolias, received a second for Pretty Woman.
Motes, who described herself as an 'awkward' child who was bullied at school, could not compete with the success of her 'very pretty and very popular' sister.
She said: 'When I was in high school and she was an adult, she would just let me know that I was definitely overweight. She would make it quite clear to me and in a not so nice manner.
'Julia did not want to see me go down that path [of acting] … So I just got a lot of criticism from Julia, which was very discouraging for me.'
After graduating from high school in 1995, Motes auditioned for roles in Hollywood while working as a waitress. But she could not afford to continue so returned to Georgia.
Niece: Emma Roberts, pictured Monday with Evan Peters, was Nancy's niece
Three years ago Nancy moved back to Los Angeles, after meeting her fiancé John Dilbeck. But she claimed Roberts started taunting her about her weight again days after she arrived.
With her weight soaring, she finally decided to have a gastric bypass fitted.
Motes said she could not afford the £20,000 fee, but rather than ask Roberts, who is worth £90million, for financial help, she took out a loan.
She had lost 7st since the operation last June and had planned on marrying in May.
However, RadarOnline reported last year that Julia planned to boycott the nuptials because she didn't like the groom and didn't want to get stuck paying for the wedding.
'Julia doesn't think much of Nancy's husband-to-be,' the website quoted an insider as saying. 'She's convinced he's sponging off Nancy, who doesn't have much money in the first place.'
At the time of her death, it was not known if she had mended her relationship with Julia.
She said last year: 'It's a work in progress, it's not going to be fixed overnight, nor do I think it's going to be fixed by me just getting skinny.'
- If you or anyone you know if considering suicide, call the National Suicide Prevention Hotline at 1-800-273-8255
- For confidential support on suicide matters call the Samaritans on 08457 90 90 90 or visit a local Samaritans branch, see www.samaritans.org for details
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
- Is THIS the Loch Ness Monster? Satellite image on Apple's Maps software may finally have solved the mystery of Nessie
- Ukraine crisis breakthrough as Sergey Lavrov says diplomats agree to protect people's rights
- Heartbreaking farewell video Maddie Yates, 16, posted to YouTube before suicide
- Sophisticated meth lab found in million dollar lakeside home
- 'Our father and brothers are culprits in this tragedy': Saudi princesses who say they are kept locked in palace without food or water make contact with the outside world
- QVC queen Lisa Robertson lives in fear after having FOUR stalkers
- Principal Kelvin Griffin resigns after allegations of affair with teacher, drugs on campus
- Former cop shoots dead his wife in front of their two young children
- Father, daughter arrested after 6-year-old found living in filth
- DeKalb mom Meriel Bemis charged in toddler's death
- Georgia Tech student Saamar Akhshabi dies from injuries after setting himself on fire last month
- Experts carry out DNA tests on bones thought to belong to monarchs from 1,000 years ago including King Canute
- Controversial pastor Arthur Allen dies in house fire
- Elementary school principal John McGill busted in child sex sting
- Verdicts handed down in Jonesboro day care death
- Incredible images capture the Ethiopian Suri tribe whose girls have lip plates implanted at puberty as a sign of beauty
- Prank Justin Beiber protest draws attention in Buckhead
- Magistrate: Drunken driver Tommie Robinson Jr wrecked going over 100 mph, killing passenger
- Offers pouring in for Turner Field property
- Police investigate homicide in SW Atlanta
- Chew dirty rat! Filthy rodent stole grandmother's false teeth and hid them behind the fridge... before her pet Jack Russell caught and killed it
- Police arrest Woodstock man Anthony Couse for making car bomb sign
- Bandits break into Inman Park maintenance shop
- Outrage over Georgia deputy sheriff Chad Palmer who dressed in blackface as an inmate 'picking cotton' for Halloween party
- Two teens critical after plummeting 400ft down sheer granite rockface at Stone Mountain Park
- Family appreciates 'Prayers for Lily'
- Police say Augusta man is person of interest in car break-ins
- The Queen photograph by David Bailey marks her 88th birthday
- Six-month pregnant journalist taken to hospital for treatment after pro-Kremlin political leader ordered his aides to 'violently rape her' during press conference when she asked about sanctions against Ukraine
- Justice Dept. appealing morning-after pill decision
- Medicaid caution warranted, lawmakers said
- Aspiring model Chelsea Gerrish, 20, killed in horrific road rage crash after being rammed head-on by father-of-three
- Cops: Wife Kia Jeffries kills former pro boxer Earnest Abdul-Mateen in self-defense
- Florida Man Steven Cozzie Held In Slaying of Georgia Teen Courtney Wilkes in Florida
- Move over selfies... it's time for the dronie: New trend for capturing you and your pals in wide angle aerial shots from a remote controlled camera
- Police seek help identifying people cashing forged checks
- Flood warning for north Georgia
- Some South Carolina schools see drop in annual assessment
- Former Fortune 500 exec Robert Dellinger charged with murder
- Tragedy as 13-month-old toddler is shot dead in his stroller by teenage robber in front of mother
- Hobie Alter honored with traditional Hawaiian paddle-out
- Man, 24, pays the $974 remainder of his student loans in 500 POUNDS of pennies
- Train commuters run, jump and swing on pole in ‘worst rush hour service ever’
- Tax-free weekend coming up soon for Alabama & Georgia
- Lowe's Home Improvement Store to bring 600 jobs to northwest Georgia
- Arion1 Velocipede capsule is a BICYCLE and could be the fastest in history
- Bo Jackson returns to Auburn for annual Bo Bikes Bama charity bicycle ride
- Georgia Grandparents Arrested for leaving Grandson at a Walmart
- Property tax appeal hearings suspended indefinitely
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|