Pictured: Betty Lou Motes, mother of warring Julia Roberts and Nancy Motes
- Betty Lou Motes looked frail and visibly shaken this afternoon as she visited the Oscar-winner
- Dressed in a tartan hat and black jacket, the elderly woman was driven by a friend from her home in Pacific Palisades to Julia's mansion in Malibu in a white Cadillac SUV
- The visit came after it was reported that Nancy Motes left a five page suicide note in which she accused her famous sibling of driving her to kill herself
- Motes, 37, was found dead of an apparent drug overdose Sunday, in a full bathtub at a Santa Monica home where she was pet-sitting
By Helen Pow and Chris White
PUBLISHED: 17:11 EST, 11 February 2014 | UPDATED: 17:51 EST, 11 February 2014
Julia Roberts' grief-stricken mother looked frail and visibly shaken this afternoon as she visited the Oscar-winner following the apparent suicide death of her younger daughter, Nancy Motes.
Dressed in a tartan hat and black jacket, Betty Lou Motes was driven by a friend from her home in Pacific Palisades to Julia's mansion in Malibu in a white Cadillac SUV.
The visit came after it was reported that Nancy left a five page suicide note in which she accused her famous sibling of driving her to kill herself.
Nancy, 37, was found dead of an apparent drug overdose Sunday, in a full bathtub at a Santa Monica home where she was pet-sitting.
Scroll down for video
Upset: Julia Roberts' mother Betty Lou Motes is seen leaving her home in Los Angeles looking frail and upset Tuesday afternoon
Support: Dressed in a tartan hat and black jacket, Betty Lou Motes, left, was driven by a friend, right, from her home in Pacific Palisades to Julia's mansion in Malibu in a white Cadillac SUV
Grieving: Betty's daughter Nancy Motes, who is Julia's half-sister, died of a drug overdose in LA on Sunday. Betty is seen going to Julia Roberts Malibu home with a friend
Her fiancé discovered her body, which had been dead as long as 12 hours, but a responding EMT worker recovered the extensive letter, according to the New York Daily News.
In the note, Nancy dedicated three pages to her tortured relationship with the Pretty Woman actress, the Daily News quoted a source close to the investigation as saying.
'It was definitely a suicide. She left a five-page suicide letter. The EMT found it,' the source told the Daily News.
'There were three pages of rantings that her sister drove her to do this. There was one page to her mom, telling her how much she loved her, and one page apologizing to (her fiancé).'
Nancy and Dilbeck were scheduled to be married in May, but the Georgia native seemed to be unraveling recently.
Emotional: Nancy Motes appeared to post aggressive messages onto her Twitter account in the weeks prior to her tragic death apparently attacking her half-sister Julia Roberts
Sisters: Nancy Motes is pictured in this photo with Julia Roberts when the Oscar winning actress was around 22 years old
On Twitter, she sounded decidedly unstable, lashing out at Julia, whom she claims bullied her about her weight when they were growing up.
'So my "sister" said that with all her friends & fans she doesn't need any more love. Just so you all know "America's Sweetheart" is a B****!!' she tweeted on January 20, referring to Roberts.
'Do you want to be a fan of someone so cruel? She's not even that good of an actress. Happy you totally F***ed with me?' she added in a subsequent tweet before claiming she'd never been more angry.
'I must admit I maybe going to far… But I never been so angry in my life. I'm actually a pretty easygoing, peaceful person.'
'(M)y own family has abandoned me,' she tweeted January 22.
Three weeks later, she was dead.
The emotional comments, seen on the Twitter handle @Dabbs76, had been deleted by Tuesday morning.
Different name: Nancy Motes used her husband-to-be (left and right with Nancy) John Dilbeck's last name for her Twitter handle and in a series of posts from October onwards appeared to launch into assaults on her half-sister Julia Roberts
Gone too soon: Nancy Motes, pictured in August (left), died on Sunday from an apparent drug overdose; she is the half-sister of Julia Roberts (right)
Rage: Nancy Motes, tweeted under her husband-to-be's last name online. This vitriolic attack is believed to be against her half-sister, Julia Roberts and happened a little more than a month before she died
Pain: Nancy Motes is also believed to have launched these attacks on the star of Pretty Woman and Mystic Pizza - calling her cruel and blaming her for causing her rage despite her best efforts to remain calm
Sad: Nancy Motes posted these bittersweet tweets in October - in which she laments that she is having to leave her family to find the love she craves from another
The most recent Twitter outburst followed similar rants late last year.
For example, Nancy had written previously of her family abandoning her.
'Feeling blessed, even though I'm sick as a dog! I'm very grateful that I have my loves family, since my own family has abandoned me,' she tweeted, referring to her new partner.
Her next tweets also appeared to be angrily directed at the Notting Hill star.
She tweeted: 'Hey Hag! Glad you f****ed with me yet? You’re going to LOVE what’s coming! FYI-You’re an awful, hate filled old pathetic excuse for a human.
'I must be grateful & not hateful. I must forgive. But Damn that is a REALLY hard thing to do sometimes, right?!?!'
Back on December 19, Nancy also
sounded depressed. She wrote: 'I must remember how blessed I am even in
this very low point in my life. I want ALL of my family to have an
awesome magical Christmas!'
Family: Roberts with Motes and their mother Betty Lou when the star was filming 1997's My Best Friend's Wedding
And on December 15 she tweeted: 'Must remember to stay strong. Life is a fight. You have to stay in it.'
Back in October Nancy also spoke about her family rift, tweeting: 'It’s a shame when you get more support from strangers than you do from your family. I can’t wait to officially belong to another family!'
She also wrote that she was getting support from her and Julia’s mother Betty, writing: 'So glad to have the support & love of my friends & mom!
Nancy last tweeted on Saturday, the day before she was found dead in the bathtub.
She wrote: 'Hope everyone is enjoying their Saturdays & watching East Los High! Season 3 coming soon!'
Nancy joined twitter last August and had 69 followers.
She posted several happy photos with her fiancé John Dilbeck who she was due to marry on May 17.
Still a smashing success: At 46, Roberts is more in demand than ever; here she leaves a talk about her Meryl Streep drama on February 4
Nancy had been tweeting excitedly about the big day, on October 21 she wrote: 'I found my beautiful shoes for my wedding day! And anyone that wants to bring me down during all the planning I have to do can kiss my ass!'
On October 3 she tweeted a photo of them together, writing: 'YAY! Wedding Venue found! Wedding dress found! Things are truly happening! It's all soooo exciting! I love him!'
Since her tormented tweets were made public overnight, they key sections have been deleted.
On top: The actress on the February cover of Vanity Fair, on stands now
On Monday, her family confirmed to People the 37-year-old had passed away in what appears to be an overdose.
'It is with deep sadness that the family of Nancy Motes ... confirms that she was found dead in Los Angeles yesterday of an apparent drug overdose,' the statement read. 'There is no official report from the Coroner's office yet. The family is both shocked and devastated.'
She was discovered in the bathtub of a home by her fiancé John Dilbeck and pronounced dead at 2:12 p.m., a spokesman for the Los Angeles Coroner's Office told MailOnline.
It is believed she was found at a house where she was pet-sitting for a friend.
Today, Ed Winter, assistant chief at the LA County Coroner's Office, said: ‘The autopsy has been completed and the cause of death has been deferred depending on the toxicology reports. This can take between six and eight weeks.
‘A number of prescription medications were found in the bathroom area as were illegal drugs. We are still investigating whether they were hers or not. We’re not releasing what illegal drugs they were.
‘It could be a possible suicide, but we don’t know the cause of death yet for sure, which is depending on further investigation. It’s more complicated as she also had some medical issues, so we’re not sure what happened at the moment.
'We are not being specific what those issues are, but it could mean a number of reasons for her death, she could have been taking a bath and had a heart attack. We just don’t know at this stage.'
Julia's rep did not return calls to MailOnline. The actress cancelled an appearance at an Academy Awards luncheon on Monday.
Nancy was an aspiring actress who had worked as a production assistant on TV's Glee.
Julia and Nancy had the same mother, Betty Lou, but different fathers: Nancy's dad was Michael Motes and Julia's is the late Walter Grady Roberts.
In August the blonde had complained about growing up in the shadow of the Pretty Woman star, who has been working the awards circuit this year for her turn in August: Osage County with Meryl Streep.
Thinner: Nancy Motes looked considerably thinner in August 2013 as she grabbed coffee near her home in Santa Monica
The younger sibling had said she was known as Julia's 'fat little sister' and said the Oscar-winner had taunted her about her weight, leading her to undergo weight loss surgery in June 2012.
Roberts, 46, made her feel embarrassed and ashamed of her weight, according to Nancy, which peaked at 20st.
She resorted to a £20,000 gastric bypass operation last year.
'It makes me feel incredibly hurt and very sad,' Motes said. 'When you're in a family of very, very exceptionally beautiful people it's intimidating.'
Her other siblings include Eric Roberts, 57, and Lisa Roberts Gillan, 48, who are also actors.
Actress Emma Roberts is the daughter of Eric.
'I think that growing up as Pretty Woman's little sister has definitely made me try to see the person inside and not the person outside,' she added. 'A lot of my life I felt judged for my weight.'
Busy woman: Roberts has been working the awards circuit for her turn in August: Osage County, which she did here on January 18 while attending the Screen Actors Guild Awards
Motes, who grew up in the US state of Georgia, was only 13 when Roberts shot to Hollywood fame as hooker Vivian Ward in Pretty Woman.
The actress, who had won a Golden Globe for playing a young bride in Steel Magnolias, received a second for Pretty Woman.
Motes, who described herself as an 'awkward' child who was bullied at school, could not compete with the success of her 'very pretty and very popular' sister.
She said: 'When I was in high school and she was an adult, she would just let me know that I was definitely overweight. She would make it quite clear to me and in a not so nice manner.
'Julia did not want to see me go down that path [of acting] … So I just got a lot of criticism from Julia, which was very discouraging for me.'
After graduating from high school in 1995, Motes auditioned for roles in Hollywood while working as a waitress. But she could not afford to continue so returned to Georgia.
Niece: Emma Roberts, pictured Monday with Evan Peters, was Nancy's niece
Three years ago Nancy moved back to Los Angeles, after meeting her fiancé John Dilbeck. But she claimed Roberts started taunting her about her weight again days after she arrived.
With her weight soaring, she finally decided to have a gastric bypass fitted.
Motes said she could not afford the £20,000 fee, but rather than ask Roberts, who is worth £90million, for financial help, she took out a loan.
She had lost 7st since the operation last June and had planned on marrying in May.
However, RadarOnline reported last year that Julia planned to boycott the nuptials because she didn't like the groom and didn't want to get stuck paying for the wedding.
'Julia doesn't think much of Nancy's husband-to-be,' the website quoted an insider as saying. 'She's convinced he's sponging off Nancy, who doesn't have much money in the first place.'
At the time of her death, it was not known if she had mended her relationship with Julia.
She said last year: 'It's a work in progress, it's not going to be fixed overnight, nor do I think it's going to be fixed by me just getting skinny.'
- If you or anyone you know if considering suicide, call the National Suicide Prevention Hotline at 1-800-273-8255
- For confidential support on suicide matters call the Samaritans on 08457 90 90 90 or visit a local Samaritans branch, see www.samaritans.org for details
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
- Mayim Bialik, Husband Michael Stone Finalize Divorce
- Cops: Wife Kia Jeffries kills former pro boxer Earnest Abdul-Mateen in self-defense
- Officials: Airport worker won't be punished after run-in with manager
- Bruce Lee didn't drink, but CGI Bruce Lee is in this liquor ad
- Chestnut sets new world record in hot dog eating contest
- Moammar Gaddafi's daughter-in-law in racy photo
- Dolphin dies in China after tourists hoist it out of water to pose for photographs
- Feds 'working with' Georgia even as plans drop out of exchange
- Three-year-old boy makes compelling argument for cupcakes for dinner
- Police arrest 26-year-old Kerrianne Johnson for child molestation
- Medicaid caution warranted, lawmakers said
- Motion for new trial denied in child molestation case
- Funny Wi-Fi network names that will alienate and amuse your neighbors
- Kennesaw pastor John Pinkston facing child molestation charges
- 'Mars Needs Moms' review: A charming, subversive, minor addition to CGI family film club
- Ebony Daniel, Charlie Martin arrested after baby allegedly ingests cocaine
- Pastor Samuel Chapman jailed on child sex charges
- Atlanta man Michael Oneal charged in double slaying
- Police seek help identifying people cashing forged checks
- Meet Colonel Meow, the world's hairiest cat
- Lady Gaga 'dumped' by boyfriend as he can't handle her alter-egos
- From Africa to Mexico - love really IS all around: Photographer captures natural heart shapes across the globe
- How a change in weather could trigger a STROKE: Very cold or humid temperatures can cause fatal clot to develop
- US changing suits after dismal speedskating start
- Dunwoody police arrest Ronald Cox in child molestation case
- Ex-police officer Michael Bernard Wilson found guilty of molesting girl
- Assistant principal Genghis Shakhan accused of 'excessive force'
- Why doesn't Evan Gattis catch for Julio Teheran?
- Tyreke Evans Buzzer-Beater: Kings Guard Hits Game-Winner From Halfcourt (VIDEO)
- Mall massacre group 'hired shop before attack'
- Foster child found chained to porch in North Carolina with dead chicken around his neck
- Two Douglas County children arrested for fake gun at school
- One dead, two injured after crash involving stolen car
- Man dies a month after being hit by car
- Interstitial Cystitis: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment
- Brandon Philpot arrested in recording studio slaying
- Atlanta Man Eric Brown accused of molesting teen at church caught in NC
- Clayton County high school senior Keandre Varner suspended after posting principal's mugshot on Instagram
- Georgetown graduate Bess Rosenzweig dies in plane crash alongside her mother in Kenya
- Tennessee man and his current wife arrested in ex-wife's slaying in Germantown
- Congressional staffer Dianne Reidy goes on bizarre rant about Freemasons and God
- Murder suspect arrested in Bartow County
- Kennesaw State student recovering from rock climbing accident
- Changes made to state gun bill
- Your cutlery changes how your food tastes
- Jennifer Lopez suffers embarrassing wardrobe malfunction live on German TV
- Britney's Spears suffers from scaly feet
- Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth ‘split’ rumors persist
- lagos nigeria 23401 ( Nigerian Dating Scam ) 380
- Pastor Samuel Chapman jailed on child sex charges 79
- Asst. Principal’s Son Chandler Brookins Accused Of Rape In School Bathroom 70
- McDonald's Manager Tiffany Allen Accused Of Punching Customer 68
- Mother Of 5 Wazineh Suleiman Missing After Going To Rent Movie 31
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook 29
- 15-Year-Old Held In Girlfriend Angel Freeman's Killing; Gun Found In Creek 26
- New Mexico pastor Gregory Griego, woman, two girls and a boy shot dead during Saturday night shooting spree 25
- 'Wrap your legs around my head': Married Fox weatherman Geoff Fox fired after 'inappropriate' sexting chats with female photographer 22
- Teen Alex Dahm charged with drug possession 21
- Marietta Teen James Glover to be Tried as Adult in beating of a 94-year-old man 20
- Syfy's new show 'Defiance' sucks 20
- Dekalb County Teen Marquis Overstreet Found Shot, Killed, Stabbed 30 Times 19
- Joyriding teens Dustin Surrett, Tessa Upton nabbed in stolen Jaguar 19
- 17-year-old Quavante Combs drowns in Lake Lanier 18
- Husband James Felio Killed By Police After Fight With Wife 17
- James Taylor Named By Colleagues As Pilot From Cockpit Rant 17
- Babysitter Loni Bouchard 'had sex with boy, 14, she was hired to look after' 16
- Suspect In Double Homicide Michael Ntiamoah Is Federal Officer 15
- Police: Woman talking on cell caused crash killing 2 15
- Teacher Shannon Schmieder Sentenced to 40 Years for Affair with 14 Year Old 15
- Police: Ex-Substitute Rene Frank Pregnant With Student’s Twins 14
- Colin Kaepernick: Biological mother Heidi Russo wants relationship with quarterback son she gave up 14
- Teens Sarah Riffe, Michael Perry killed by Jeep in east Georgia town 13
- Gwinnett, Forsyth teens Brandon Hodges, Christian Walker, killed in wreck 13
- Tennessee woman Neena Costanza charged in death of her baby girl by her boyfriend 13
- Teen Demarquis Elkins Arrested in Georgia Baby Shooting Death 13
- Emma Watson suffers wardrobe malfunction night out 12
- Fleeing Driver Adam Sides Hits Officer Head-On During Chase 12
- Smyrna Police Officer Curtis Clyde Cook Fired After Drug Bust 12
- 16-Year-Old Son Charged In Crash That Killed His Mother 12
- 3 Pedestrians Hit, 2 Dead near Interstate 675 in Stockbridge 12
- Atlanta Woman Lashawna Threatt Dies after Fall from W Hotel Room 11
- Florida Man Steven Cozzie Held In Slaying of Georgia Teen Courtney Wilkes in Florida 11
- PICTURED: The assistant Melissa Nelson fired by dentist because she was 'irresistably attractive' and 'threat to his marriage' 11
- Teens Jekari Strozier, Antonio Pass, Johnathan Anthony, Kemonta Bonds charged in death of Mableton man 11
- Teen Cheyenne Sauls Killed In Crash; 17-Year-Old Driver Charged With DUI 10
- Daytona Woman Katie Burson Dies After House Party Shooting 10
- Florida woman Danisa Landaeta arrested for drawing picture of bomb on friend's bag at Miami International Airport 10
- Cops: Mableton Woman Chakaya Folborg stabs sister to death with steak knife 9
- Atlanta Woman Crystal Cross Alleges Beating From Ga. State Patrol 9
- UPDATE: Teen Terry Johnson, Charged In Murder of Shakira Hudson 8
- LA Fitness Manager Juhahn Belcher 's Death Ruled Suspicious 8
- Newnan officer Josh Keller shoots girlfriend in abdomen 8
- Off-Duty Officer Shoots Teen In Nightclub Parking Lot 8
- Dunkin' Donuts employee Melissa Redmond busted for prostitution; sold sex out of restaurant 8
- Teenage Boy Cody Riddle Drowns In Boone Lake 8
- Female Driver Priscilla Johnson Charged After Hitting 3 Teens with Car 8
- Pedestrian Latara Worthy run over, killed in Union City 8
- Revealed: Dramatic pictures of Trayvon's lifeless body as new evidence shows Zimmerman bleeding with 'broken nose' 8
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|