Father 'who hacked his disabled son's head off and left it by the road for his mom to see' ruled insane and found not guilty of murder
- Jori Lirette, 7, suffered from cerebral palsy
- He was found beheaded and dismembered in the front yard of his Louisiana home on August 14, 2011
- His father, Jeremiah Wright, 32, was charged with his first-degree murder and faced death by lethal injection if convicted
- Doctors for Wright testified that he suffered from a psychotic disorder and for years lived under the delusion his son, who needed around-the-clock care, was a 'CPR dummy'
- On Friday a Thibodaux judge found Wright not guilty of murder by reason of insanity
- He has been confined to a state mental asylum in Jackson
Daily Mail Reporter
UPDATED: 17:48 EST, 14 February 2014
A father accused of hacking his disabled seven year-old son's head off with a meat cleaver and leaving it by the road for the boy's mother to see has been ruled not guilty of murder by reason of insanity.
Defense experts have successfully proven that Jeremiah Wright, 32, from Louisiana, was suffering a delusion at the time of the brutal murder of Jori Lirette, who suffered from cerebral palsy.
Wright was charged with the first degree murder of the little boy on August 14, 2011, and faced life in prison or death by lethal injection if convicted.
Expert witnesses Dr. Sarah DeLand, a director at the mental facility that treated Wright, and psychiatrist George Seiden of Shreveport, said Wright suffered from a psychotic disorder at the time of the incident, couldn't tell right from wrong and believed his son was 'a CPR dummy'.
Jeremiah Wright, left, was on trial for the first-degree murder of his son Jori Lirette, right, by chopping off his head, hands and feet with a meat cleaver. He was found not guilty Friday by reason of insanity
They testified that Wright thought his son was really a government social experiment and told them: 'I don't believe they can do anything to me because it wasn't a real person. His skull was made of plastic. He had foam in him.'
Wright was accused of killing and dismembering the boy after his mother Jesslyn Lirette threatened to kick him out of their Louisiana home.
A passing motorist found Jori after Wright allegedly left his head in the front yard for his mother to see.
His hands and feet were also hacked off and found in a garbage bag.
The crime scene was so gruesome that some of the police who responded to the emergency call have had to have counseling, according to AZCentral.
Investigators said the grisly killing was carried out over a kitchen sink.
The boy required around-the-clock care and was fed through a tube.
Appearance: Jeremiah Wright seen here during a court appearance in 2013. He has now been confined to a state mental hospital
Mother: Jesslyn Lirette held the hands of two guards as she attended a court hearing in 2013. Her her long term boyfriend was accused of killing their son
Judge John LeBlanc of Thibodaux told a court on Friday that Wright will be sent to a state mental hospital in Jackson that is often used to house criminals who have either been charged with a violent crime or have been ruled not guilty by reason of insanity, according to Houma Today.
The judge said he based his ruling off doctors' consistent evaluations that indicate Wright has long been mentally ill and, as a result, believed the world around him was not real.
'Nothing has really changed in regard to the interviews that said Mr. Wright suffered from a mental disorder during the time of the incident and that this psychotic disorder existed prior to the incident,' LeBlanc said during the hearing.
'He couldn't understand the difference between right and wrong and he still suffers the same delusions and disorders today.'
From the bench, LeBlanc spoke directly to Jori Lirette's family members.
'This was absolutely the only decision that could be made based on the medical history and testimony in the court,' the judge said.
'It is not a good day for you, it is not a good day for anyone involved, but it is a day we must all face because it is the only decision that could be rendered in this case.'
Devastated: A distraught Jesslyn Lirette speaks a the candlit vigil for her murdered disabled seven-year-old son Jori following his death in 2011
After Jori's body was discovered it was revealed that his mother had previously warned police that Wright wanted her son dead.
The week before Jori was born, Jesslyn obtained a restraining order against Wright after he 'broke the baby's piggy bank' and 'shoved her onto a pile of CDs on the bed'.
when Jori was just six-months-old, she obtained another similar order
after he called her and said he 'was tired of seeing the baby suffer'
and wanted him dead.
Details of the orders, which Jesslyn apparently allowed to lapse, were revealed in sworn statements she made in 2004 and made part of the official court record.
Thibodaux Police Lt. Kim Favalora said in a statement to a court in early 2013 that: 'Wright was very matter-of-fact as he calmly explained that he thought for years that Jori was not his son.
Wright's doctors said for years he lived under the delusion his son was a 'dummy' as part of a psychotic disorder
'Wright said that he recently saw the way the dummy looked at him and there were signs and little things the dummy did to him that let him know that Jori was not his son, but a dummy.'
Favalora said Wright told police that 'he was tired of taking care of the dummy. Wright said that as soon as he realized that Jori was a dummy, and not his son, he 'started contemplating on killing him.'
The document said Wright admitted to arguing with Jesslyn the previous night and that he expected to be kicked out of the house.
Wright has a previous criminal history that includes arrests for drugs, burglary and contempt.
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
With a pint of beer in one hand and a glass of wine in the other, the worst thing you could accuse Ashley Payne of ... Full story
- Three-year-old boy makes compelling argument for cupcakes for dinner
- Sailor from Oregon Jonathon Gibson killed in Red Sea helicopter crash
- President Obama catches fainting pregnant woman
- US Navy's controversial Zumwalt destroyer to hit the water for first time
- Christopher P. Dona named as Army Ranger killed in parachute mishap
- Stern family plane crash: Three killed after homemade plane crashes into nature preserve
- Mountain biker rockets down ski slope at 135 mph
- Rebel Wilson busted whilst making off with buffet
- Bruce Lee didn't drink, but CGI Bruce Lee is in this liquor ad
- Rapper Kampane found slain in New Jersey: Performer was shot, then torched in back of SUV
- Meet Colonel Meow, the world's hairiest cat
- Buyers of Dell's new Latitude 6430u Ultrabook complain it smells of cat urine
- 'Mars Needs Moms' review: A charming, subversive, minor addition to CGI family film club
- Magistrate: Drunken driver Tommie Robinson Jr wrecked going over 100 mph, killing passenger
- Jersey Bridgeman: Girl, 6, whose father chained her to a dresser found dead
- Authorities investigate fatal officer-involved shooting
- Man armed with BB gun shot in dispute
- Boy abducted in '94 found: Richard Landers, 5, taken by his grandparents in 1994 now living in Minnesota
- Lena Dunham strips off and Jimmy Kimmel gets punched in the face in hilarious Emmys opening skit
- New Jersey realtors Robert Lindsay and Jeannemarie Phelan used client's home for 'sexual escapades': report
- Authorities search for missing 12-year-old
- Foster child found chained to porch in North Carolina with dead chicken around his neck
- Wedding guest steps in to marry bride after groom disappears
- Fayette assistant principal Darren Handley accused of stealing money
- Louisa Ball: Real-life Sleeping Beauty who sleeps for two weeks at a time
- RSS Syndication
- Jeremiah Fogle, 57, killed wife Theresa Brown and shot 2 pastors
- Why doesn't Evan Gattis catch for Julio Teheran?
- Is this the most sexist TV program in history? Chat show where women strip off as two men critique their naked bodies
- Ebony Daniel, Charlie Martin arrested after baby allegedly ingests cocaine
- Dunwoody police arrest Ronald Cox in child molestation case
- Southwest High School Plans to Raise Graduation Rate
- Westgate mall survivor Sneha Kothari Mashru tells 'I used dead teen's blood to fool terrorists'
- Man with knife arrested at Buckingham Palace
- Fulton assistant principal Paul Cook arrested for bringing gun to school
- What Exactly Is COPD?
- Three more arrests made in Augusta man's slaying
- James Fortune to perform at free concert
- Police arrest 26-year-old Kerrianne Johnson for child molestation
- Former principal John Ward arrested after his former student, 16, 'says he's the father of her baby'
- Tampa Bay Rays mascot holds inappropriate Steve Irwin sign
- Authorities shut down alleged Silk Road black market, charge accused mastermind Ross William Ulbrich
- CNN anchor Deborah Feyeric claims meteor hurtling toward Earth could be a result of global warming
- 1,000 mph car with Bloodhound rocket fired for first time (video)
- Ex-police officer Michael Bernard Wilson found guilty of molesting girl
- Pregnant weightlifter just two weeks away from giving birth provokes online storm
- Two injured in early morning house fire
- lagos nigeria 23401 ( Nigerian Dating Scam ) 380
- Pastor Samuel Chapman jailed on child sex charges 79
- Asst. Principal’s Son Chandler Brookins Accused Of Rape In School Bathroom 70
- McDonald's Manager Tiffany Allen Accused Of Punching Customer 68
- Mother Of 5 Wazineh Suleiman Missing After Going To Rent Movie 31
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook 29
- 15-Year-Old Held In Girlfriend Angel Freeman's Killing; Gun Found In Creek 26
- New Mexico pastor Gregory Griego, woman, two girls and a boy shot dead during Saturday night shooting spree 25
- 'Wrap your legs around my head': Married Fox weatherman Geoff Fox fired after 'inappropriate' sexting chats with female photographer 22
- Teen Alex Dahm charged with drug possession 21
- Marietta Teen James Glover to be Tried as Adult in beating of a 94-year-old man 20
- Syfy's new show 'Defiance' sucks 20
- Dekalb County Teen Marquis Overstreet Found Shot, Killed, Stabbed 30 Times 19
- Joyriding teens Dustin Surrett, Tessa Upton nabbed in stolen Jaguar 19
- 17-year-old Quavante Combs drowns in Lake Lanier 18
- Husband James Felio Killed By Police After Fight With Wife 17
- James Taylor Named By Colleagues As Pilot From Cockpit Rant 17
- Babysitter Loni Bouchard 'had sex with boy, 14, she was hired to look after' 16
- Suspect In Double Homicide Michael Ntiamoah Is Federal Officer 15
- Police: Woman talking on cell caused crash killing 2 15
- Teacher Shannon Schmieder Sentenced to 40 Years for Affair with 14 Year Old 15
- Police: Ex-Substitute Rene Frank Pregnant With Student’s Twins 14
- Colin Kaepernick: Biological mother Heidi Russo wants relationship with quarterback son she gave up 14
- Teens Sarah Riffe, Michael Perry killed by Jeep in east Georgia town 13
- Gwinnett, Forsyth teens Brandon Hodges, Christian Walker, killed in wreck 13
- Tennessee woman Neena Costanza charged in death of her baby girl by her boyfriend 13
- Teen Demarquis Elkins Arrested in Georgia Baby Shooting Death 13
- Emma Watson suffers wardrobe malfunction night out 12
- Fleeing Driver Adam Sides Hits Officer Head-On During Chase 12
- Smyrna Police Officer Curtis Clyde Cook Fired After Drug Bust 12
- 16-Year-Old Son Charged In Crash That Killed His Mother 12
- 3 Pedestrians Hit, 2 Dead near Interstate 675 in Stockbridge 12
- Atlanta Woman Lashawna Threatt Dies after Fall from W Hotel Room 11
- Florida Man Steven Cozzie Held In Slaying of Georgia Teen Courtney Wilkes in Florida 11
- PICTURED: The assistant Melissa Nelson fired by dentist because she was 'irresistably attractive' and 'threat to his marriage' 11
- Teens Jekari Strozier, Antonio Pass, Johnathan Anthony, Kemonta Bonds charged in death of Mableton man 11
- Teen Cheyenne Sauls Killed In Crash; 17-Year-Old Driver Charged With DUI 10
- Daytona Woman Katie Burson Dies After House Party Shooting 10
- Florida woman Danisa Landaeta arrested for drawing picture of bomb on friend's bag at Miami International Airport 10
- Cops: Mableton Woman Chakaya Folborg stabs sister to death with steak knife 9
- Atlanta Woman Crystal Cross Alleges Beating From Ga. State Patrol 9
- UPDATE: Teen Terry Johnson, Charged In Murder of Shakira Hudson 8
- LA Fitness Manager Juhahn Belcher 's Death Ruled Suspicious 8
- Newnan officer Josh Keller shoots girlfriend in abdomen 8
- Off-Duty Officer Shoots Teen In Nightclub Parking Lot 8
- Dunkin' Donuts employee Melissa Redmond busted for prostitution; sold sex out of restaurant 8
- Teenage Boy Cody Riddle Drowns In Boone Lake 8
- Female Driver Priscilla Johnson Charged After Hitting 3 Teens with Car 8
- Pedestrian Latara Worthy run over, killed in Union City 8
- Revealed: Dramatic pictures of Trayvon's lifeless body as new evidence shows Zimmerman bleeding with 'broken nose' 8
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|