Glennville man carries cross on walk across South Georgia
Dennis Barnard has gotten used to the odd looks he gets as he walks through one South Georgia town after another.
"Their eyes go wild and they turn," he said. "But it gets their attention and that's the purpose."
This marks his fifth year of walking from the western side of South Georgia all the way back to his home in Glennville. Each year he makes the journey dressed as Jesus and carrying a large wooden cross over his shoulder.
The most curious onlooker asks what he's doing and why.
"You get to meet so many people out here in real life that you would never see in church, they'd never break open the doors of a church. It gives us so many opportunities," he noted.
This year Robert Carter, a friend who attends church with Barnard, came along for the full 300 mile journey. The two alternate carrying the cross to share the weight. The pair anticipate getting back to Glennville sometime Saturday afternoon.
Copyright 2013 WTOC. All rights reserved.
- Jewelry store donates portion of sales to Children's Hospital
- Brother of slain man helps identify suspect Ladarius Hardy
- QVC queen Lisa Robertson lives in fear after having FOUR stalkers
- Officials: Airport worker won't be punished after run-in with manager
- Situation clears some units Wood House Lane
- Kristine Kirk, 44, is shot dead 'in front of kids by husband Richard Kirk who was hallucinating after eating a marijuana cookie' - and she had already been on phone to 911 for 13 MINUTES
- Police arrest suspect acting suspiciously near Kate and William
- WHINSEC celebrates newly renovated school
- Job fair gives offenders a second chance at life
- Columbus Burglaries: Few Responsible For Many
- College Board gives a sneak peak at redesigned SAT
- Milton Mother Shannon Lawrence Killed During Custody Exchange
- Military Matters: "Hop to the Tanks" food drive for Battle Buddy Resource Center
- Florida Man Steven Cozzie Held In Slaying of Georgia Teen Courtney Wilkes in Florida
- Jeremiah Warthen: Suspect accused of striking, killing toddler, grandmother denied bond
- City inspects pipelines after sinkholes occur
- ATM stolen in smash-and-grab at Mall at West End
- #Hashtaglunchbag: Miss Ebony Columbus Edition
- Make them an offer they can't refuse: Beverly Hills mansion where Godfather was filmed goes on sale for $135 million
- 'I'd rather die by a lion than by some stupid drunk driver': Amazing photos of exotic pets and their owners
- RAW VIDEO: 1974 super tornado outbreak
- Brooklyn's Domino sugar factory photos pay tribute to its past
- Cold case suspect appears in court
- Kate and Wills effect: Flight searches to New Zealand soar 153% on DAY ONE of royal tour
- Where are the parents? Toddler seen 'smoking marijuana' as 'adults are heard heard laughing' in SHOCKING video
- 'Pull up your pants or be proud to be a f@%': Southern store owner posts sign with a homophobic slur to deter customers from wearing baggy pants
- 'We stop, we regroup, we consider': Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott concedes the search for MH370 will soon have to stop
- Revealed: Masked al-Qaeda fighter who was described as 'Arsenal football player' is believed to be Portuguese citizen who may have attended coaching sessions at the club
- Flight instructor Mitchell Casado featured in CNN's MH370 coverage fired from job for alleged tardiness and 'shaming Canadians' for dressing like a teenager
- Body found in Yemassee
- Savannah movie filming to continue several days
- Lawyer Not Convinced Client Killed State Trooper
- Car, Savannah tour bus collide during morning commute
- Adalia Rose: The six-year-old girl with body of an old woman due to progeria
- Auburn police arrest man suspected of robbing taxi driver at gunpoint
- Kate and Pippa Middleton's beloved fashion brand Hobbs lands in U.S.
- Fulton Co. school bus accident sends 2 to hospital
- Family's anguish as young mom's body is found in industrial site two days after she vanished following party
- Megachurch pastor resigns over 'moral failing'
- Columbus Hospice honors 20-year Army veteran
- The Indian conjoined twins who are worshipped as a divine incarnation
- GSU student killed in College Park robbery
- Alleged threat prompts more police at Auburn
- Douglas Co. High evacuated due to pepper spray
- Tax Day approaches with freebies from retailers, restaurants
- Major League Soccer comes to Atlanta
- PHOTOS: Boy Scouts plea for return of stolen trailer
- Man awarded $6K for helping police solve deadly crime
- Seniors discuss keeping Macon-Bibb "age-friendly"
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|