Orange Crush 2013 held on Tybee
Tybee Island has weathered another Orange Crush, and the teens and 20-somethings who attended the ad hoc gathering say it didn't dissapoint.
The beach party wasn't exactly what out-of-towners were expecting.They said they thought the party would be more organized, with a DJ. But the city didn't issue a permit for the celebration, and a county permit was revoked after organizers failed to pay the fee.
An Atlanta woman who gave only her first name, Destiny, was buried up to her neck in sand. Absent organized activities, she and her friends said they made their own fun.
"We're creating our own spring break-sh for Orange Crush," she said.
After the party, the beach was littered. Tybee locals and police picked up the trash. Sunday, Savannah State University students are pitching in.
"A lot of events have negative stigmas," Savannah State student Robert Conyers said. "But really, people just come out here to have fun. You know we come out here to have fun. The beach gets messed up a little bit but every year we participate in the community service the next day of cleaning up Tybee Island."
More than 30 arrests were made during this year's Orange Crush, mostly marijana possession. The drug was smoked openly across Orange Crush.
"We actually made some marijana arrests and we had some people out there who maybe weren't as obvious who made several arrests as well," Tybee Lt. Tim McMillan said.
A WTOC reporter watched police chase down a man who reportedly had a gun on the pier and arrest a man who they said had enough small bags of marijana to be charged with a felony. On Tybee's pier, the smell of pot was thick. An undercover officer said he caught one man walking down the street smoking it.
Saturday night, an after-party was scheduled at the Savannah nightclub Frozen Paradise. There's talk of a second Orange Crush on April 20.
- Is THIS the Loch Ness Monster? Satellite image on Apple's Maps software may finally have solved the mystery of Nessie
- Heartbreaking farewell video Maddie Yates, 16, posted to YouTube before suicide
- Ukraine crisis breakthrough as Sergey Lavrov says diplomats agree to protect people's rights
- QVC queen Lisa Robertson lives in fear after having FOUR stalkers
- Inmate Amy Hightower Re-Arrested After Escaping Hospital
- Bottle of wine a day 'is not bad for you': Leading scientist also claim those who exceed recommended does could live longer than teetotallers
- Hobie Alter honored with traditional Hawaiian paddle-out
- Dammion Heard's parents dispute findings that their star wrestler son, 20, killed himself as it's revealed the college student got into a fight the night he went missing
- Newton High School basketball coach James Carter accused of sexting student
- Two teens and man who stopped to help them killed in Miami car crash
- UPDATE: Recorder's Court judge orders Michael Johnson held without bond in Steve Toms' death
- Easter Egg Hunts all over the CSRA!
- North Carolina girl, 3, loses part of both legs in lawn mower accident
- Columbus police make shoplifting arrests at Peachtree Mall
- Father, daughter arrested after 6-year-old found living in filth
- Is THIS the SR-72 spy plane? Mystery aircraft spotted flying over Kansas just weeks after being seen in Texas
- Verdicts handed down in Jonesboro day care death
- The Duchess wears an L.K. Bennett dress as she and Wills leave Sydney
- Tomlinson discusses Columbus' growth as Georgia's second largest city
- Georgia Tech student Saamar Akhshabi dies from injuries after setting himself on fire last month
- ATM stolen in smash-and-grab at Mall at West End
- Police arrest Woodstock man Anthony Couse for making car bomb sign
- Magistrate: Drunken driver Tommie Robinson Jr wrecked going over 100 mph, killing passenger
- Aspiring model Chelsea Gerrish, 20, killed in horrific road rage crash after being rammed head-on by father-of-three
- Principal Kelvin Griffin resigns after allegations of affair with teacher, drugs on campus
- Elementary school principal John McGill busted in child sex sting
- Prototype Pontiac Firebirds found in Connecticut garage
- DeKalb mom Meriel Bemis charged in toddler's death
- Kimchi Truong, 24, dies from overdose after collapsing at Coachella
- 11-year-old boy beaten by grandmother and mother who then POST VIDEO of abuse on Facebook
- Prince William enjoys a beer alongside Kate Middleton at rugby game
- Prank Justin Beiber protest draws attention in Buckhead
- Woman shot during robbery in Glennville
- Family appreciates 'Prayers for Lily'
- Justice Dept. appealing morning-after pill decision
- Controversial pastor Arthur Allen dies in house fire
- Bandits break into Inman Park maintenance shop
- Undocumented students rally for in-state tuition rates
- Police investigate homicide in SW Atlanta
- Cops: Wife Kia Jeffries kills former pro boxer Earnest Abdul-Mateen in self-defense
- Officials: Airport worker won't be punished after run-in with manager
- SC prison guard gave inmates key impressions
- DeKalb high school basketball player Terrell Coleman dies
- Offers pouring in for Turner Field property
- Property tax appeal hearings suspended indefinitely
- Situation clears some units Wood House Lane
- Feds 'working with' Georgia even as plans drop out of exchange
- High school senior forms petition against Michele Obama
- Car thief is forced to pull over and release an infant and a pair of seven year old twin boys after they beat the driver with a toy snake until he let them go
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|