Police saturating downtown after two shootings in five days
Two 20-year-olds are recovering Friday after being shot on Savannah's Broughton Street in the early morning hours.
Savannah State University football player Vaughn Cornelia was shot in the chest according to witnesses and his high school football coach, Roger Perry. Perry says Cornelia is in critical condition at Memorial University Medical Center, although the hospital is not releasing his condition.
Cornelia is a sophmore at Savannah State who hails from Mt. Juliet, Tenn.
Police say the second victim, Mamie Smith, had only minor injuries. She reportedly was grazed by a bullet.
No arrests have been made in the case. Savannah-Chatham police are planning a stepped-up officer presence in the wake of that shooting, and another that happened Saturday, when 25-year-old Jeremy Kenneth Harden and 24-year-old Nathaniel Jackson were shot in an altercation outside Club Rain on West Bay Street. Both men survived.
"There are thousands of people who come out of the clubs," Downtown Precinct Captain Mike Wilkins said. "In many cases they are intoxicated. It's our responsibility to make sure that we are safe, and we will."
Heading into the busy tourist season, Downtown Business Association president Ruel Joyner, who owns the Broughton Street home goods store 24e, reassured visitors that the city is safe.
"This is after hours for regular business," he said. "I think everybody knows what goes on between two and three a.m."
Witnesses describe right after the shooting, bystanders panicking as they waited for an ambulance.
"If that would've been my friend or family member, I really would've not been happy," witness Christie Amarillo said. " And that's why the chaos and everything is because of the ambulance taking so long."
Southside Fire/EMS Chief Hugh Futrell says the ambulance arrived within the eight-minute window specified in its contract with Chatham County.
Copyright 2013 WTOC. All rights reserved.
- Charleston carriage incident eerily similar to Savannah's
- Sign calls candidate for school board president 'chicken'
- The dog with a thousand hilarious faces who LOVES to play fetch
- Heartbreaking farewell video Maddie Yates, 16, posted to YouTube before suicide
- Town Hall meeting called to discuss District 5
- 11-year-old boy beaten by grandmother and mother who then POST VIDEO of abuse on Facebook
- Controversial pastor Arthur Allen dies in house fire
- Teacher Saralyn Gayle Portwood arrested for inappropriate relationship with student
- Young couple killed picking up relatives who were making a surprise visit from the airport
- Tax-free weekend coming up soon for Alabama & Georgia
- Pictured hours before his fatal slip in New York bar: Camilla's brother Mark Shand, 62, smiling for camera's with his 'secret fianceé, Ruth Powys, 36, and Princess Eugenie
- Three men charged in February Bay Street chase
- Jennifer Lopez suffers embarrassing wardrobe malfunction live on German TV
- Gregory Favors Identified as State Trooper Shooting Suspect
- University of Texas women's track coach Bev Kearney fired for lesbian relationship with one of her athletes
- Man stabbed in domestic dispute
- UPDATE: Five hour hostage situation at Trumbull County jail ends; Correctional officer safe
- Oscar Senior found guilty of all charges related to 2012 murder
- AT&T: Apple Exclusivity Deal Won't Last Forever
- California man beaten with skateboards by four kids remains in critical condition
- Cashier Mary Jane Hart sells herself $1 million winning Powerball ticket
- Rookie Blake Griffin Throws Down ABSURD Alley-Oop
- Man accused of raping and sexually torturing at least half-dozen women in his 'house of horrors' with heated scissors and rubber mallet
- Is THIS the Loch Ness Monster? Satellite image on Apple's Maps software may finally have solved the mystery of Nessie
- Casino boat issued day cruise permit
- Alabama students to receive free ACT testing
- 'They had robbed my family': Widow's anguish as three teens indicted for killing married father of two on son's birthday after he willingly gave the muggers his wallet
- Savannah Christian volleyball player signs Letter of Intent
- Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall's brother Mark Shand in critical condition after fall outside NY club
- Man demands realtor takes back mansion he leased for knock-down price after discovering it is 'haunted' after gruesome murder took place there
- Be There: Scholarship Signing Day
- Living on a Dollar a Day: New book puts a face to the 1.6 billion people on earth who live in extreme poverty
- Drunken girl, 18, rushed from Canadian Prime Minister's mansion in the middle of the night with alcohol poisoning 'after attending his teenage son's birthday party'
- Paying tribute to Mr. Awesome: Celebrities pose with self-portrait of boy, 7, who died in freak swimming pool electrocution
- Columbus police make shoplifting arrests at Peachtree Mall
- Jewelry store donates portion of sales to Children's Hospital
- Tornadoes ravage South and Midwest wiping entire Indiana town off the map
- ALERT: Child abduction in Georgia
- Exercise video with dancing poodles goes viral... 10 years after it first came out
- Ohio teacher fired after telling black student he didn't need another black president after Obama
- AMBER ALERT ISSUED
- Man stabbed in domestic dispute
- Your cutlery changes how your food tastes
- Britney's Spears suffers from scaly feet
- Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth ‘split’ rumors persist
- Kelly Scherer: Catholic school counselor found with 50 bags of heroin and 150 needles
- Georgia's Most Dangerous Cities
- Controversial Tennessee mosque targeted by arsonists gets go-ahead despite 16 months of protests
- Thieves dressed like nuns from 'The Town' rob suburban bank TCF
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|