Police saturating downtown after two shootings in five days
Two 20-year-olds are recovering Friday after being shot on Savannah's Broughton Street in the early morning hours.
Savannah State University football player Vaughn Cornelia was shot in the chest according to witnesses and his high school football coach, Roger Perry. Perry says Cornelia is in critical condition at Memorial University Medical Center, although the hospital is not releasing his condition.
Cornelia is a sophmore at Savannah State who hails from Mt. Juliet, Tenn.
Police say the second victim, Mamie Smith, had only minor injuries. She reportedly was grazed by a bullet.
No arrests have been made in the case. Savannah-Chatham police are planning a stepped-up officer presence in the wake of that shooting, and another that happened Saturday, when 25-year-old Jeremy Kenneth Harden and 24-year-old Nathaniel Jackson were shot in an altercation outside Club Rain on West Bay Street. Both men survived.
"There are thousands of people who come out of the clubs," Downtown Precinct Captain Mike Wilkins said. "In many cases they are intoxicated. It's our responsibility to make sure that we are safe, and we will."
Heading into the busy tourist season, Downtown Business Association president Ruel Joyner, who owns the Broughton Street home goods store 24e, reassured visitors that the city is safe.
"This is after hours for regular business," he said. "I think everybody knows what goes on between two and three a.m."
Witnesses describe right after the shooting, bystanders panicking as they waited for an ambulance.
"If that would've been my friend or family member, I really would've not been happy," witness Christie Amarillo said. " And that's why the chaos and everything is because of the ambulance taking so long."
Southside Fire/EMS Chief Hugh Futrell says the ambulance arrived within the eight-minute window specified in its contract with Chatham County.
Copyright 2013 WTOC. All rights reserved.
- Move over selfies... it's time for the dronie: New trend for capturing you and your pals in wide angle aerial shots from a remote controlled camera
- QVC queen Lisa Robertson lives in fear after having FOUR stalkers
- Cops: Wife Kia Jeffries kills former pro boxer Earnest Abdul-Mateen in self-defense
- Justice Dept. appealing morning-after pill decision
- Medicaid caution warranted, lawmakers said
- Kristine Kirk, 44, is shot dead 'in front of kids by husband Richard Kirk who was hallucinating after eating a marijuana cookie' - and she had already been on phone to 911 for 13 MINUTES
- Georgia Grandparents Arrested for leaving Grandson at a Walmart
- Feds 'working with' Georgia even as plans drop out of exchange
- Officials: Airport worker won't be punished after run-in with manager
- Jewelry store donates portion of sales to Children's Hospital
- Property tax appeal hearings suspended indefinitely
- Police seek help identifying people cashing forged checks
- College Board gives a sneak peak at redesigned SAT
- Milton Mother Shannon Lawrence Killed During Custody Exchange
- SC prison guard gave inmates key impressions
- Some South Carolina schools see drop in annual assessment
- Heavy rain leaves one Aiken County yard inundated by water
- Chestnut sets new world record in hot dog eating contest
- Police say Augusta man is person of interest in car break-ins
- State Farm holding career fair August 6, 7
- Flood warning for north Georgia
- ATM stolen in smash-and-grab at Mall at West End
- Situation clears some units Wood House Lane
- PHOTOS: Boy Scouts plea for return of stolen trailer
- Man awarded $6K for helping police solve deadly crime
- Ga. police department adds hybrids to its fleet
- One dead, 1 injured in Union City shooting
- Lowe's Home Improvement Store to bring 600 jobs to northwest Georgia
- Tragedy as 13-month-old toddler is shot dead in his stroller by teenage robber in front of mother
- Ga. governor strikes cautious note on solar energy
- Hadley Boberg, 20, froze to death after she and a friend lost keys to their Jeep while hiking in Utah woods in frigid weather
- Undocumented students rally for in-state tuition rates
- Principal Kelvin Griffin resigns after allegations of affair with teacher, drugs on campus
- Funerals scheduled for 2 Atlanta firefighters
- Police arrest suspect acting suspiciously near Kate and William
- Popularity of IPA Day signals rise of American craft beers
- Tax-free weekend coming up soon for Alabama & Georgia
- 2 charged in kidnapping of NC prosecutor's father
- Stone Mountain Woman Leann Corley Fakes Pregnancy to Smuggle Pills
- Major League Soccer comes to Atlanta
- Water main break in Candler Park
- DeKalb mom Meriel Bemis charged in toddler's death
- Father, daughter arrested after 6-year-old found living in filth
- North Carolina girl, 3, loses part of both legs in lawn mower accident
- Brother of slain man helps identify suspect Ladarius Hardy
- Two teens critical after plummeting 400ft down sheer granite rockface at Stone Mountain Park
- Elementary school principal John McGill busted in child sex sting
- Seattle sewage plant offers FLUSHING brides a $2,000 weddings deal
- Alleged threat prompts more police at Auburn
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|