Jesse Jackson's group looking into Deen empire
Jesse Jackson's Rainbow/PUSH coalition was in Savannah last week, talking to people who worked for Paula Deen's Lady and Sons restaurant -- and for her brother's oyster house -- Uncle Bubba's.
Rainbow/PUSH Attorney Robert Patillo says problems with the restaurants go beyond current media reports, that the group has talked to several employees who say black people were held back from promotions, that racist and sexist jokes were tolerated and that one manager even called an employee a monkey.
"The 'n-word' is the smallest portion of this," Patillo said. "It's the manifestation of those personal prejudices into employment policies that have worked to injure individuals.
In a May deposition stemming from a lawsuit against her brother, Bubba Heirs, Deen admitted only to that n-word in the past but says it had been a quote "very long time ago." She has denied making racist jokes -- or allowing racial harassment.
Some doubting whether the Deen brand will recover. Smithfield -- the largest producer of pork products in the U.S. -- dropped Deen as a spokeswoman Monday, three days after the Food Network dropped her shows.
"Context is never an excuse for using derogatory statements toward any group or race of people," Public Relations and Brand Strategist Marvet Britto said.
Patillo says Rainbow/PUSH is coming back to Savannah this weekend to continue investigating employee claims.
Copyright 2013 WTOC. All rights reserved.
ATLANTA - Robert Michael stepped to the middle of the courtroom, looked left and saw his daughter and wife in shackles, awaiting a prison sentence ... Full story
- Police: Drivers Jeffrey Deese, Travis Deal arrested on first day of job for drugs
- Sex abuse allegations against former pastor Bill Wininger prompts church school meeting
- Pizza delivery driver Elizabeth Hutcheson stabbed 50 times
- Naked Ga. man Jermaine Lloyd arrested on drug charges
- Scott Eugene Welker: DUI charges for man who wrecked into officer
- Outrage over Georgia deputy sheriff Chad Palmer who dressed in blackface as an inmate 'picking cotton' for Halloween party
- Craig Heidt guilty of Malice Murder
- Police: Clayton County teen V'ondra Olivaria accidentally shot to death
- Husband Turns In Teacher Dorothy Dixon Accused Of Sex With Teen
- ATM stolen in smash-and-grab at Mall at West End
- Body of girl, 10, found badly burned in Atlanta trash can as her father is arrested
- Head of Atlanta's '30 Deep' gang George "Keon" Redding convicted
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook
- Georgia man Marco Rogers charged for video of men having sex with child
- Brandon Philpot arrested in recording studio slaying
- Investigators: Teen Galilea Magana may have runaway with man she met online
- Brothers Christopher Cormier, William Cormier under arrest after body found in concrete
- Ex-school worker Josh Ensley sentenced on child porn charges
- Tragedy as 13-month-old toddler is shot dead in his stroller by teenage robber in front of mother
- Former DeKalb principal Agnes Flanagan arraigned in cheating scandal
- Savannah teenager Preston Phelps charged with murdering father
- Passenger Jude Poitevien accused of swallowing 68 cocaine pellets stopped at airport
- Doctors claim pharmacy chain Walgreens refusing to fill pain meds
- Rapper OG Double D killed in shooting on I-20
- Man killed, daughter, grandchild injured in Cherokee County crash
- Covington Woman Ketitra Jones shot, killed while driving in Covington
- Georgia's Most Dangerous Cities
- Atlanta Woman Lashawna Threatt Dies after Fall from W Hotel Room
- Daycare teacher Melissa Silvers accused of plotting to kill ex-husband
- Megachurch pastor Wiley Jackson, brother indicted for alleged business scheme
- Police: Officer William Osborne Threatened Bank Employee Over Loan; Arrested
- 2 former bus drivers Edna Wright, Sherrod Wright accused of running ID theft ring
- Jalen Ricks: Suspect in Clayton County shootout with deputies dies
- Driving Dirty: Alpharetta man Ken Acebal arrested driving nude
- DeKalb Co. prosecutor Wystan Getz on leave after DUI arrest
- Customs Agent Devon Samuels Charged With Drug Trafficking
- Atlanta woman shoots apartment intruder
- Temp Worker Lisa Darden Accused Of Stealing Tax Refund Checks
- Havana Club employee Emily Jarrett charged with vehicular homicide
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|