FAA probes close call of Spirit jet, small plane
DETROIT (AP) - The Federal Aviation Administration said Monday it is investigating a close call between a Texas-bound Spirit Airlines flight and a skydiving plane that forced the jetliner to dive sharply over Michigan, as screaming passengers feared the plane was going to crash.
Flight attendants bumped their heads and luggage spilled out of overhead binds during the incident Sunday evening.
The Airbus 319 jetliner took off from Detroit Metropolitan Airport with 126 passengers and a crew of 5, bound for Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport. It was over Tecumseh in southeastern Michigan about 8:22 p.m. when controllers reported another plane nearby, the FAA said.
"Air traffic controllers notified the Spirit pilot that a skydiving jump plane was climbing just south of the jetliner's position," FAA spokeswoman Elizabeth Cory said in an email. "The Spirit pilot confirmed that he could see the smaller aircraft on his Terminal Collision Avoidance System. ... A minute later, the Spirit jet received an automated TCAS warning that required him to begin an immediate 1,600-foot descent to 12,800 feet from a previous altitude of 14,400 feet."
At the closest, the two planes were 1.6 miles apart horizontally and 400 feet vertically, Cory said.
The sudden dive caught the passengers unaware, said Janet Dunnabeck of Whitney, Texas, who was returning with her 10- and 19-year-old daughters from a visit with Michigan relatives.
"It was horrifying," Dunnabeck told The Associated Press. "Every person on that plane was screaming. We thought we were going down."
Dunnabeck said the plunge caused overhead luggage bins to spill open, drinks to spill and flight attendants to bump their heads.
2 of them complained of pain and asked for medicine, sitting down while nonworking flight attendants stepped up to help.
Jolene Dunnabeck, 10, said she was "really scared."
"It felt like we were falling, we were going to hit the ground and die," she said.
Only after the dive was the pilot able to give out information, announcing only that a "flight control issue" led to the maneuver.
"Thank God he was able to control the plane," said Janet Dunnabeck, who said she spoke with the pilot later at Dallas-Fort Worth airport.
No passengers were injured, said Spirit spokeswoman Misty Pinson.
"Our pilots followed appropriate procedures and adjusted their flight path upon receiving an advisory of another possible aircraft in range," Pinson said in an email. "The flight continued to Dallas/Fort Worth without incident."
Addressing why the two planes got dangerously close, the FAA pointed to the smaller plane's pilot.
"The skydiving plane was flying under Visual Flight Rules, under which pilots are responsible for seeing and avoiding other aircraft," Cory said.
Gabrielle Dunnabeck, 19, said she, her mother and sister want answers about what went wrong and whether air traffic controllers should have alerted the Spirit's crew sooner.
"We're still wondering who dropped the ball," she said.
Broadcast editor Jennifer Garske in Washington assisted with this story.
Follow David N. Goodman at http://twitter.com/davidngoodman
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Is this the most sexist TV program in history? Chat show where women strip off as two men critique their naked bodies
A Danish chat show where women silently undress as the male host and a guest critique their bodies has been branded humiliating and sexist by ... Full story
- Hope Solo: 911 call details on altercation with then-fiance Jerramy Stevens
- Police: Stockbridge man John Wesley Morgan, Jr shoots, kills elderly father
- Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth ‘split’ rumors persist
- Crack-smoking mayor knocks down councillor in stormy debate
- Teacher Shannon Schmieder Sentenced to 40 Years for Affair with 14 Year Old
- Lady Gaga 'dumped' by boyfriend as he can't handle her alter-egos
- AT&T: Apple Exclusivity Deal Won't Last Forever
- Jewelry store donates portion of sales to Children's Hospital
- Tornadoes ravage South and Midwest wiping entire Indiana town off the map
- Rookie Blake Griffin Throws Down ABSURD Alley-Oop
- Mountain biker rockets down ski slope at 135 mph
- The greatest underwater photographs from around the world
- Lena Dunham strips off and Jimmy Kimmel gets punched in the face in hilarious Emmys opening skit
- Georgia woman Stacey Schoeck pleads guilty in Valentine's Day slaying
- Pastor Samuel Chapman jailed on child sex charges
- Louisa Ball: Real-life Sleeping Beauty who sleeps for two weeks at a time
- Jeremiah Fogle, 57, killed wife Theresa Brown and shot 2 pastors
- Veteran skydiver Sean Carey plummets to death during competition
- Tennessee man and his current wife arrested in ex-wife's slaying in Germantown
- Family of I-85 hit and run victim speaks out
- Morehouse men use spring break to mentor students
- Caught on camera: Armed robbers nab prescription drugs
- Tech Check: Smartphone memory hogs
- 'Mars Needs Moms' review: A charming, subversive, minor addition to CGI family film club
- T.I. Arrested: Rapper Clifford Harris And Wife Tameka Cottle Face Drug Charges
- Stern family plane crash: Three killed after homemade plane crashes into nature preserve
- Ex-DeKalb principal Angela Jennings in indictment turns herself in
- Funny Wi-Fi network names that will alienate and amuse your neighbors
- Is soy good for you?
- Local reaction to missing airplane
- Your cutlery changes how your food tastes
- Jennifer Lopez suffers embarrassing wardrobe malfunction live on German TV
- Britney's Spears suffers from scaly feet
- Jesse James Marries Heiress Alexis DeJoria
- Gregory Favors Identified as State Trooper Shooting Suspect
- Megachurch pastor Wiley Jackson, brother indicted for alleged business scheme
- Atlanta man Michael Oneal charged in double slaying
- Paulding County gym teacher Robert Cartwright accused of molesting student
- Police arrest 26-year-old Kerrianne Johnson for child molestation
- lagos nigeria 23401 ( Nigerian Dating Scam )
- Tax-free weekend coming up soon for Alabama & Georgia
- Situation clears some units Wood House Lane
- Rhode Island ditches Christmas, Atheist Rejoice in 'HOLIDAY' tree lighting
- Excited cheetah grazes face of Botswana president Ian Khama
- Video shows driver Stephanie Wilkerson literally kicking special needs girl off the bus
- Cashier Mary Jane Hart sells herself $1 million winning Powerball ticket
- ‘Who’s that girl?’ Mystery woman crashes Olympic delegation
- No zoo for you, kid. The US government shutdown hates children
- 10 ways to improve your body
- lagos nigeria 23401 ( Nigerian Dating Scam ) 380
- Pastor Samuel Chapman jailed on child sex charges 79
- Asst. Principal’s Son Chandler Brookins Accused Of Rape In School Bathroom 70
- McDonald's Manager Tiffany Allen Accused Of Punching Customer 68
- Mother Of 5 Wazineh Suleiman Missing After Going To Rent Movie 31
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook 29
- 15-Year-Old Held In Girlfriend Angel Freeman's Killing; Gun Found In Creek 26
- New Mexico pastor Gregory Griego, woman, two girls and a boy shot dead during Saturday night shooting spree 25
- 'Wrap your legs around my head': Married Fox weatherman Geoff Fox fired after 'inappropriate' sexting chats with female photographer 22
- Teen Alex Dahm charged with drug possession 21
- Marietta Teen James Glover to be Tried as Adult in beating of a 94-year-old man 20
- Syfy's new show 'Defiance' sucks 20
- Dekalb County Teen Marquis Overstreet Found Shot, Killed, Stabbed 30 Times 19
- Joyriding teens Dustin Surrett, Tessa Upton nabbed in stolen Jaguar 19
- 17-year-old Quavante Combs drowns in Lake Lanier 18
- Husband James Felio Killed By Police After Fight With Wife 17
- James Taylor Named By Colleagues As Pilot From Cockpit Rant 17
- Babysitter Loni Bouchard 'had sex with boy, 14, she was hired to look after' 16
- Suspect In Double Homicide Michael Ntiamoah Is Federal Officer 15
- Police: Woman talking on cell caused crash killing 2 15
- Teacher Shannon Schmieder Sentenced to 40 Years for Affair with 14 Year Old 15
- Police: Ex-Substitute Rene Frank Pregnant With Student’s Twins 14
- Colin Kaepernick: Biological mother Heidi Russo wants relationship with quarterback son she gave up 14
- Teens Sarah Riffe, Michael Perry killed by Jeep in east Georgia town 13
- Gwinnett, Forsyth teens Brandon Hodges, Christian Walker, killed in wreck 13
- Tennessee woman Neena Costanza charged in death of her baby girl by her boyfriend 13
- Teen Demarquis Elkins Arrested in Georgia Baby Shooting Death 13
- Emma Watson suffers wardrobe malfunction night out 12
- Fleeing Driver Adam Sides Hits Officer Head-On During Chase 12
- Smyrna Police Officer Curtis Clyde Cook Fired After Drug Bust 12
- 16-Year-Old Son Charged In Crash That Killed His Mother 12
- 3 Pedestrians Hit, 2 Dead near Interstate 675 in Stockbridge 12
- Atlanta Woman Lashawna Threatt Dies after Fall from W Hotel Room 11
- Florida Man Steven Cozzie Held In Slaying of Georgia Teen Courtney Wilkes in Florida 11
- PICTURED: The assistant Melissa Nelson fired by dentist because she was 'irresistably attractive' and 'threat to his marriage' 11
- Teens Jekari Strozier, Antonio Pass, Johnathan Anthony, Kemonta Bonds charged in death of Mableton man 11
- Teen Cheyenne Sauls Killed In Crash; 17-Year-Old Driver Charged With DUI 10
- Daytona Woman Katie Burson Dies After House Party Shooting 10
- Florida woman Danisa Landaeta arrested for drawing picture of bomb on friend's bag at Miami International Airport 10
- Cops: Mableton Woman Chakaya Folborg stabs sister to death with steak knife 9
- Atlanta Woman Crystal Cross Alleges Beating From Ga. State Patrol 9
- UPDATE: Teen Terry Johnson, Charged In Murder of Shakira Hudson 8
- LA Fitness Manager Juhahn Belcher 's Death Ruled Suspicious 8
- Newnan officer Josh Keller shoots girlfriend in abdomen 8
- Off-Duty Officer Shoots Teen In Nightclub Parking Lot 8
- Dunkin' Donuts employee Melissa Redmond busted for prostitution; sold sex out of restaurant 8
- Teenage Boy Cody Riddle Drowns In Boone Lake 8
- Female Driver Priscilla Johnson Charged After Hitting 3 Teens with Car 8
- Pedestrian Latara Worthy run over, killed in Union City 8
- Revealed: Dramatic pictures of Trayvon's lifeless body as new evidence shows Zimmerman bleeding with 'broken nose' 8
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|