Port Royal hopes to revive shrimp docks, business
Just down 11th Street in Port Royal, folks will find the only publicly owned shrimp docks in South Carolina. But in the last few years, council members have had a difficult time keeping them afloat.
The town of Port Royal is hoping their new dock manager, Joey Morris, will be able to keep money and shrimp flowing up and down the area. Morris is a 30 year veteran of the shrimping business.
"It pays good money," he said.
But it's tough work.
"You got to know the water. You got to know where you going. You got to know shrimp, the winds, tides, and everything affects it," said Morris.
His formula for success seems simple.
"You can't make it with a boat if you can't catch shrimp," he said.
Port Royal's town council is hoping Morris' business success will benefit them. Since the town took over the shrimp docks in 2009, they've lost roughly $25,000 to $30,000 each year.
"The Town of Port Royal has a deep heritage in the crabbing and shrimping industry so we want to try to keep it going as much as possible but we have to stop the bleeding," said council member Tom Klein.
Morris' game plan involves keeping fuel prices as low as possible to bring in more boats. Then as supply increases, he'll shop around for the best shrimp prices while profiting only off the packing costs. The council is providing roughly $20,000 to jumpstart his efforts.
"We're going to do the best we can," he said.
Morris says they plan to label the packaged shrimp as "11th Street Seafood." The town currently leases the docks from the South Carolina State Ports Authority.
Copyright 2013 WTOC. All rights reserved.
A man charged in the killings of killing four people and injuring several others at a farmhouse in south Forsyth County has pleaded ... Full story
- Gwinnett deputy Duone Clark accused of having sex with inmate
- Pizza delivery driver Elizabeth Hutcheson stabbed 50 times
- Police seek leads in fatal shooting of teen Vanessa "Honey" Malone
- Scorned husband Phillip Dunn sentenced to life in wife's slaying
- Cousins Shauna Smith, Gregory Eric Williams Sentenced To Life For Debt Shooting
- Police: Clayton County teen V'ondra Olivaria accidentally shot to death
- Disgraced mayor Bill Campbell resurfaces in city
- Hearing Held For Officer Anwar Bradley Fired After Controversial Traffic Stop
- 4 people shot outside Jay’s Place Lounge and Sports Bar in Stone Mountain
- Police Arrest Kevin Stallworth, Antiwan Lane in Fatal Dunwoody Shooting
- Police: Missing Woman Holly Parker-Heard, Newborn Kidnapped By Midwife
- Columbus, Ga. man Zyderrious Platt convicted in wife's death
- Court in Georgia orders Christopher Kelley to pay $55k to his ex- after breaking off engagement
- Marietta man David York charged with murder in death of wife of 30 years
- Panic in Georgia: Fourth Flesh-Eating Bactaria Victim Paul Bales Has Leg Amputated
- DeKalb man James Lally in jail for allegedly selling sketchy Braves tickets
- Atlanta Woman Crystal Cross Alleges Beating From Ga. State Patrol
- Kennesaw pastor John Pinkston facing child molestation charges
- Head of Atlanta's '30 Deep' gang George "Keon" Redding convicted
- Pastor Samuel Chapman jailed on child sex charges
- Two teens critical after plummeting 400ft down sheer granite rockface at Stone Mountain Park
- Police: Man Nathan Lee Claus arrested at Ga mall went to meet girl
- Wendy's employee Amy Seiber drops pot in burger, police say
- Ex-police officer Michael Bernard Wilson found guilty of molesting girl
- Gwinnett SWAT arrests 2 rappers Jamy Long and Harrison Kim in a gang-related shooting
- 2 Charged After Mother Kaneisha Carr Killed In Front Of Child
- Georgia man Raymond Wilson sentenced to life for molesting children
- Georgia woman Stacey Schoeck pleads guilty in Valentine's Day slaying
- Brunswick Man, Wife Accused In Bank Robbery
- Former DeKalb principal Agnes Flanagan arraigned in cheating scandal
- Police arrest suspect Andrae Dinkins in slaying outside billiards hall
- Trial for Man Accused of Killing Lithonia Woman
- Fulton assistant principal Paul Cook arrested for bringing gun to school
- Megachurch pastor bishop eddie long denies sexual relationships but admits: 'I told them to call me Daddy'
- Police arrest 26-year-old Kerrianne Johnson for child molestation
- Naked Ga. man Jermaine Lloyd arrested on drug charges
- Gwinnett murder-suicide victims ID'd as married couple Sylvia Junn & Charles Junn
- Off-Duty Atlanta Police Officer Michael Awe Found Dead
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|