Port Royal hopes to revive shrimp docks, business
Just down 11th Street in Port Royal, folks will find the only publicly owned shrimp docks in South Carolina. But in the last few years, council members have had a difficult time keeping them afloat.
The town of Port Royal is hoping their new dock manager, Joey Morris, will be able to keep money and shrimp flowing up and down the area. Morris is a 30 year veteran of the shrimping business.
"It pays good money," he said.
But it's tough work.
"You got to know the water. You got to know where you going. You got to know shrimp, the winds, tides, and everything affects it," said Morris.
His formula for success seems simple.
"You can't make it with a boat if you can't catch shrimp," he said.
Port Royal's town council is hoping Morris' business success will benefit them. Since the town took over the shrimp docks in 2009, they've lost roughly $25,000 to $30,000 each year.
"The Town of Port Royal has a deep heritage in the crabbing and shrimping industry so we want to try to keep it going as much as possible but we have to stop the bleeding," said council member Tom Klein.
Morris' game plan involves keeping fuel prices as low as possible to bring in more boats. Then as supply increases, he'll shop around for the best shrimp prices while profiting only off the packing costs. The council is providing roughly $20,000 to jumpstart his efforts.
"We're going to do the best we can," he said.
Morris says they plan to label the packaged shrimp as "11th Street Seafood." The town currently leases the docks from the South Carolina State Ports Authority.
Copyright 2013 WTOC. All rights reserved.
- Heartbreaking farewell video Maddie Yates, 16, posted to YouTube before suicide
- QVC queen Lisa Robertson lives in fear after having FOUR stalkers
- Is THIS the Loch Ness Monster? Satellite image on Apple's Maps software may finally have solved the mystery of Nessie
- Two teens and man who stopped to help them killed in Miami car crash
- Dammion Heard's parents dispute findings that their star wrestler son, 20, killed himself as it's revealed the college student got into a fight the night he went missing
- School board addresses cursive writing concerns
- One dead in Lilburn motorcycle accident
- Gynecologist Dr Paul Becton 'took naked photos of patients'
- Kristine Kirk, 44, is shot dead 'in front of kids by husband Richard Kirk who was hallucinating after eating a marijuana cookie' - and she had already been on phone to 911 for 13 MINUTES
- Duchess of Cambridge keeps her cool in white dress by Australian designer for visit to Sydney's Royal Easter Show with William
- North Carolina girl, 3, loses part of both legs in lawn mower accident
- Witness: Goose on the loose with arrow through head
- High school vice principal rescued from South Korean ferry found hanging from tree in front of victims' families after his students die
- Judge John McBain lashes out at convicted killer Camia Gamet after she snickers and asks 'is that it?' as victim's aunt recounts murder
- Move over selfies... it's time for the dronie: New trend for capturing you and your pals in wide angle aerial shots from a remote controlled camera
- Baby gorilla dies unexpectedly at Milwaukee zoo just one month after birth
- Prank Justin Beiber protest draws attention in Buckhead
- Principal Kelvin Griffin resigns after allegations of affair with teacher, drugs on campus
- National Geographic reveals 50 tours of a lifetime (and Scotland is the only entry for UK)
- Mayor Reed speaks out against Water Management raises
- Albino kangaroo gives birth to dark joey at German zoo
- DeKalb mom Meriel Bemis charged in toddler's death
- Salt intake falls 15%... and heart deaths fall 40% (but we still eat too much of it)
- Family of Dawsonville child makes plea for kidney match
- Seattle sewage plant offers FLUSHING brides a $2,000 weddings deal
- Inmate Amy Hightower Re-Arrested After Escaping Hospital
- Police: Locker-room thief spent $4,000 on stolen credit cards
- 'Hostage scammers' steal hundreds from Atlanta residents
- Police arrest Woodstock man Anthony Couse for making car bomb sign
- UPDATE: Recorder's Court judge orders Michael Johnson held without bond in Steve Toms' death
- Father, daughter arrested after 6-year-old found living in filth
- Georgia Tech student Saamar Akhshabi dies from injuries after setting himself on fire last month
- Atlanta Watershed Dept. under review after "hefty raises"
- DeKalb crews working on water main break
- Elementary school principal John McGill busted in child sex sting
- Offers pouring in for Turner Field property
- Newton High School basketball coach James Carter accused of sexting student
- Aspiring model Chelsea Gerrish, 20, killed in horrific road rage crash after being rammed head-on by father-of-three
- Region that shaped Tsarnaev more volatile
- Preying to stay alive: Centipede tries to eat its way to sanctuary - out of a snake's stomach!
- Outrage over Georgia deputy sheriff Chad Palmer who dressed in blackface as an inmate 'picking cotton' for Halloween party
- Bodies of teen girl on Spring break and her 33-year-old aunt pulled from Lake Erie after they went missing with two men on fishing trip
- More than $1M in fake soccer gear seized in Ga.
- Hawkinsville Man Birago Blackshear Accused of Killing Ex-Girlfriend Ashton Bartlett
- Columbus Animal Control loses family dog, later finds him dead in nearby creek
- College Board gives a sneak peak at redesigned SAT
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook
- Lowe's Home Improvement Store to bring 600 jobs to northwest Georgia
- Man acquitted of 2011 Carousel Lounge shooting
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|