Two dead, two injured after train collides with car
Two women were killed and a woman and teen were injured when the SUV they were in drove around railroad barriers and into the path of a freight train today on the 200 block of Gulfstream Road.
Martha Newton, 57, of Savannah, driver of the SUV, and Amanda Newton, 34, of Atlanta, were declared dead on scene at 1:49 p.m.
Martha Newton, 57, of Savannah (facebook)
Amanda Newton, 34, of Atlanta (facebook)
Vanessa Newton, 35, of Atlanta was airlifted from the scene by helicopter and A-Mirackle Newton, 14, of Atlanta, was transported by ambulance. A-Mirackle Newton was listed in serious condition and Vanessa Newton was in critical condition at Memorial University Medical Center.
Vanessa Newton, 35, of Atlanta
The white SUV was traveling north on Gulfstream Road when Martha Newton disregarded the flashing lights and drove around the traffic arms at the railroad crossing into the path of the train. All occupants except the driver were ejected from the vehicle.
Garden City, Port Wentworth and Southside Fire Department firefighters responded to the scene.
The Major Accident Investigation Team of the Savannah-Chatham Metropolitan Police Department continues to investigate.
Copyright 2013 WTOC. All rights reserved.
- A pesky red fox is now a permanent resident of the White House lawn after settling in during government groundskeeper's furlough last fall
- Inmate Amy Hightower Re-Arrested After Escaping Hospital
- Heartbreaking farewell video Maddie Yates, 16, posted to YouTube before suicide
- Husband and wife, both police officers in Chicago, dead in apparent murder-suicide
- Is THIS the Loch Ness Monster? Satellite image on Apple's Maps software may finally have solved the mystery of Nessie
- 2 shot during party at Wade-Walker Park
- BREAKING NEWS: 16-year-old boy survives UNHARMED after flying from California to Hawaii in the wheel-well
- Controversial pastor Arthur Allen dies in house fire
- DeKalb mom Meriel Bemis charged in toddler's death
- Police say Augusta man is person of interest in car break-ins
- Gregory Favors Identified as State Trooper Shooting Suspect
- Cops: Wife Kia Jeffries kills former pro boxer Earnest Abdul-Mateen in self-defense
- Atlanta Woman Lashawna Threatt Dies after Fall from W Hotel Room
- Undocumented students rally for in-state tuition rates
- Justice Dept. appealing morning-after pill decision
- Authorities investigate Riverdale apartment shooting
- Newton High School basketball coach James Carter accused of sexting student
- Columbus police make shoplifting arrests at Peachtree Mall
- UPDATE: Recorder's Court judge orders Michael Johnson held without bond in Steve Toms' death
- Tax-free weekend coming up soon for Alabama & Georgia
- DeKalb high school basketball player Terrell Coleman dies
- Georgia Tech student Saamar Akhshabi dies from injuries after setting himself on fire last month
- Jewelry store donates portion of sales to Children's Hospital
- Feds 'working with' Georgia even as plans drop out of exchange
- Discovery of long-lost World War II dog tags may solve the 70-year-old mystery of a soldier's death
- Elementary school principal John McGill busted in child sex sting
- Father, daughter arrested after 6-year-old found living in filth
- Principal Kelvin Griffin resigns after allegations of affair with teacher, drugs on campus
- QVC queen Lisa Robertson lives in fear after having FOUR stalkers
- Police arrest Woodstock man Anthony Couse for making car bomb sign
- Florida Man Steven Cozzie Held In Slaying of Georgia Teen Courtney Wilkes in Florida
- SC prison guard gave inmates key impressions
- Prank Justin Beiber protest draws attention in Buckhead
- Verdicts handed down in Jonesboro day care death
- Human skeleton found inside pickup truck in Texas lake solves Helen Holladay case
- Man fatally hit by vehicle on Atlanta interstate
- Lowe's Home Improvement Store to bring 600 jobs to northwest Georgia
- Georgia Grandparents Arrested for leaving Grandson at a Walmart
- Officials: Airport worker won't be punished after run-in with manager
- Medicaid caution warranted, lawmakers said
- Family appreciates 'Prayers for Lily'
- Captain America beats up the competition at the box office for third straight weekend while Johnny Depp disappoints again
- Wreck shuts down traffic on I-85 SB
- Tragedy as 13-month-old toddler is shot dead in his stroller by teenage robber in front of mother
- Southwest High School Plans to Raise Graduation Rate
- ATM stolen in smash-and-grab at Mall at West End
- Police investigate homicide in SW Atlanta
- Cobb police investigate crash in church lot
- Clayton Co. PD search for missing 3-year-old
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|