Mexico's fearless woman mayor Maria Santos Gorrostieta 'executed' after surviving two assassination attempts
The body of a woman once called a 'heroine of the 21st century' for fearlessly standing up to Mexico's brutal drug cartels has been found beaten to death at the side of a road.
Maria Santos Gorrostieta, 36, was the former mayor of Tiquicheo, a rural district in Michoacan, west of Mexico City.
She famously survived two assassination attempts by narcotics gangs who have turned the country into a war zone.
Her brave defiance may have cost the mother-of-three her life. The official cause of death was a blow to the head but she had been stabbed, her legs and hands had been bound and her waist and chest were covered in burns, suggesting she had been tortured.
She was discovered by residents of the community of San Juan Tararameo, Cuitzeo Township, who were heading to work in the fields.
Her family had reported her missing on November 14, and the disappearance was being investigated by the Anti-Kidnapping and Extortion Institution.
A murder investigation has now been launched.
The first assassination attempt was while in October 2009 when the car she was travelling in with her husband Jose Sanchez came under fire from gunmen in the town of El Limone.
The attack claimed his life but Gorrostieta lived. An attempt had been made on Sanchez's life earlier that year, but he managed to escape the armed mob who came after him.
Gorrostieta, who had been elected in 2008, bravely battled back from her injuries in the face of overwhelming tragedy, but she was not destined to know peace.
The next attempt on her life was just three months later, when an masked group carrying assault rifles ambushed her on the road between Michoacan and Guerreo state. The van she was traveling in was peppered by 30 bullets. Three hit her.
This time Gorrostieta's injuries were more severe, leaving multiple scars and forcing her to wear a colostomy bag. She was left in constant pain.
A reporter was also wounded in the attack, as well as her press officer and brother.
Grim discovery: Residents of the community of San Juan Tararameo found her body as they went to work in the fields
Sickening: Gorrostieta shows the wounds she sustained from the ambushers' gunfire and the subsequent car crash
Wounds: The ex-mayor was lucky to survive the second attack. She was left in constant pain and was forced to use a colostomy bag
In a famous act of defiance, she posed for pictures showing the extent of her horrifying wounds to draw attention to the brutality the drug gangs routinely mete out to their opponents.
Speaking at the time she said: 'I wanted to show you my wounds because I'm not ashamed that my body is mutilated like this.
'It is the result of shameful acts which have marked my life and the lives of my children. But I am not ashamed.
Murder: The corpse of Dr Gorrostieta, found by farm workers from San Juan Tararameo. She had been burned, beaten and stabbed
'There are some that have said I made these attacks up. But I did not and now I show the physical proof to those who have doubted me.'
She added: 'Every day I fight and battle in my mind to erase the memories of the terrible things I lived through.'
'At a different time in my life, maybe I would have resigned from my post, my responsibilities.
'But it is no longer possible now that I have three children whom I have to teach by example.
'Beside that I have the memories of my husband, the father of my children who knew how to teach the value of things and fight for them.'
Icon: Maria was described by a prominent Mexican journalist as 'a heroine of the 21st century'
Casualty of war: Gorrostieta is the latest official murdered by cartels in Mexico's bloody battle over drugs
She added: 'He is no longer with us but he remains the guiding light for my decisions.'
After her ordeal she ran for a seat in Mexico's Congress of the Union but failed to gain the backing she needed.
Mexico has been torn apart by murderous drug gangs since President Felipe Calderon launched his drug offensive in 2006.
More than 50,000 people have been killed in clashes between rival drug cartels and security forces and about two dozen mayors have been murdered.
A Colombian thief who forgot to look both ways ran straight in front of a bus after mugging a woman of her mobile phone. The hapless ... Full story
- Yao Defen: World's tallest woman dies aged 40 after losing battle with tumor that caused her to grow to 7ft 8in
- Russian man tattoos his name across his girlfriend's FACE - and they only met 24 hours earlier
- Is this Japan's most ridiculous craze yet? Teenagers dye their hair red and green to look like ripe tomatoes
- Anna Chapman Nude Photos: Naked Pictures Of Russian Spy In 'Playboy'
- Arab Man Convicted Of Rape After Having Consensual Sex With Jew
- Chef killed over meal of fried noodles by two disgruntled guests
- Man shoots himself in the head with foot-long harpoon and survives
- Man stuck in McDonald’s baby high chair freed by police
- "Keep your so-called workers," U.S. boss tells France
- British backpacker Cheznye Emmons dies in Indonesia after drinking poisoned gin
- Russians reportedly nab CIA agent Ryan Fogle with disguises, note for recruit
- Rat Dogs aka Ferrets sold to gullible customers as poodles in Argentina
- Omar Borkan Al Gala identified as one of the men deported for being too handsome
- Sh*ty Situation: Venezuela runs out of toilet paper
- Tourist, 52, plunges 1,000ft to her death in the Pyrenees and is then devoured by VULTURES
- 2012 Carnival kicks off in Brazil
- U.S Marines drink COBRA BLOOD in Thailand forest training exercise
- Road built around building as couple refuse to move in China
- Cargo Ship Sinks: Three killed, Nine people still missing off Istanbul
- Woman with fear of clowns marries circus colleague – who is a clown
- Saudi prince's $500million custom Superjumbo complete with Turkish spa, concert Hall and a place to park the Rolls Royce
- 'I heard Indian people eat with their hands still': Oprah faces backlash in India over dinner remarks
- Horror as American law student Aya Hadir Ghais, 19, dies in fireball crash in Abu Dhabi
- Clinically dead for 40 minutes, Australian man brought back to life
- ‘Too handsome’ guy ‘kicked out’ of Saudi Arabia could be too sexy for Facebook after fan page ‘removed’
- Six killed in bar shooting in Mexican resort of Cancun
- Bollywood actress Meenakshi Thapar kidnapped, strangled & beheaded by co-stars
- North Korea launches three short-range missiles
- Spiciest soup on the menu burns hole through Chinese man's stomach lining
- Belgian trekker Debbie Maveau missing in Nepal found decapitated
- Moammar Gaddafi's daughter-in-law in racy photo
- Zombie Apocalypse: Drunk Chinese man tries to eat woman’s face during ‘cannibal’ assault
- Panic as man fires blanks during TV interview at Cannes film festival
- Former Argentine dictator Videla dies in prison at 87
- KFC smugglers bring buckets of chicken through Gaza tunnels
- Japanese mayor: Wartime sex slaves were necessary
- Sassoon disinherits son
- 'Drunk' radio host Paula White hauled off air
- French magazine sparks 'blackface' race row using white model Ondria Hardin, 16, for 'African Queen' fashion spread
- Christian Homes Torched By Pakistani Mob 4
- Anni Dewani, British Newlywed, Found Dead After South Africa Honeymoon Carjacking 1
- US Issues Travel Warning For Mexico 1
- 'Tourism suicide': Dutch to ban foreigners from cannabis coffee shops 1
- No Touching: Islamic Cleric Bans Women From Touching 'Penis-Shaped' Foods 1
- Guinness World Records Names Chandra Dangi world's shortest living man 1
- GPS Fail: Japanese Tourists Drive Straight into the Pacific 1
- Russian mother Galina Ryabkova kills her two sons, aged 4 and 7, by throwing them off 15th floor balcony 1
- 'I heard Indian people eat with their hands still': Oprah faces backlash in India over dinner remarks 1
- Could the bizarre 'bagel head' look be Japan's most extreme beauty trend yet? 1
- N.Y. mom Sarai Sierra vanishes on solo trip overseas 1
- Chicken in China lays giant egg containing another egg 1
- Tunisian woman Amina Tyler thrown in psych ward for topless feminist Facebook pics 1
- Dubai police add Ferrari to fleet of patrol cars weeks after unveiling Lamborghini 1
- Chef killed over meal of fried noodles by two disgruntled guests 1
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|