Rat Dogs aka Ferrets sold to gullible customers as poodles in Argentina
Gullible bargain hunters at Argentina's largest bazaar are forking out hundreds of dollars for what they think are gorgeous toy poodles, only to discover that their cute pooch is in fact a ferret pumped up on steroids.
One retired man from Catamarca, duped by the knock-down price for a pedigree dog, became suspicious he had bought what Argentinians call a 'Brazilian rat' and when he returned home took the 'dogs' to a vet for their vaccinations.
Imagine his surprise when his suspicious were confirmed - he had in fact purchased two ferrets that had been given steroids at birth to increase their size and then had some extra grooming to make their coats resemble a fluffy toy poodle.
The 'Brazilian rat' was fed steroids at birth and groomed so that it resembled a toy poodle
Previously considered an urban legend of the giant La Salada market, local television news in the capital, Buenos Aires, discovered that the unidentified man was not alone - another woman had been told that she was buying a Chiuhuahua, but ended up with a ferret.
Both the woman and the retired man have not filed complaints.
Typically, toy poodle puppies cost upwards of $1,000 in the United States and a ferret will usually set someone back around $75.
Cute: A white toy poodle puppy stares lovingly at the camera - toy poodles typically cost upwards of $1,000
A typically fully grown ferret - not on steroids - is still smaller than a fully grown toy poodle
Compared to Mumbai's infamous Dharavi slum, La Salada is a self contained micro-economic center of the Argentinian capital, largely filled with skilled Bolivian workers who have migrated.
A stark contrast to the sprawling wealth of some parts of Buenos Aires, La Salada is a collection of small and informal workers, distributors and entrepreneurs - some lucky enough to sell ferrets as dogs for $150.
- Charleston carriage incident eerily similar to Savannah's
- Sign calls candidate for school board president 'chicken'
- The dog with a thousand hilarious faces who LOVES to play fetch
- Heartbreaking farewell video Maddie Yates, 16, posted to YouTube before suicide
- Town Hall meeting called to discuss District 5
- 11-year-old boy beaten by grandmother and mother who then POST VIDEO of abuse on Facebook
- Controversial pastor Arthur Allen dies in house fire
- Teacher Saralyn Gayle Portwood arrested for inappropriate relationship with student
- Young couple killed picking up relatives who were making a surprise visit from the airport
- Tax-free weekend coming up soon for Alabama & Georgia
- Pictured hours before his fatal slip in New York bar: Camilla's brother Mark Shand, 62, smiling for camera's with his 'secret fianceé, Ruth Powys, 36, and Princess Eugenie
- Three men charged in February Bay Street chase
- Jennifer Lopez suffers embarrassing wardrobe malfunction live on German TV
- Gregory Favors Identified as State Trooper Shooting Suspect
- University of Texas women's track coach Bev Kearney fired for lesbian relationship with one of her athletes
- Man stabbed in domestic dispute
- UPDATE: Five hour hostage situation at Trumbull County jail ends; Correctional officer safe
- Oscar Senior found guilty of all charges related to 2012 murder
- AT&T: Apple Exclusivity Deal Won't Last Forever
- California man beaten with skateboards by four kids remains in critical condition
- Cashier Mary Jane Hart sells herself $1 million winning Powerball ticket
- Rookie Blake Griffin Throws Down ABSURD Alley-Oop
- Man accused of raping and sexually torturing at least half-dozen women in his 'house of horrors' with heated scissors and rubber mallet
- Is THIS the Loch Ness Monster? Satellite image on Apple's Maps software may finally have solved the mystery of Nessie
- Casino boat issued day cruise permit
- Alabama students to receive free ACT testing
- 'They had robbed my family': Widow's anguish as three teens indicted for killing married father of two on son's birthday after he willingly gave the muggers his wallet
- Savannah Christian volleyball player signs Letter of Intent
- Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall's brother Mark Shand in critical condition after fall outside NY club
- Man demands realtor takes back mansion he leased for knock-down price after discovering it is 'haunted' after gruesome murder took place there
- Be There: Scholarship Signing Day
- Living on a Dollar a Day: New book puts a face to the 1.6 billion people on earth who live in extreme poverty
- Drunken girl, 18, rushed from Canadian Prime Minister's mansion in the middle of the night with alcohol poisoning 'after attending his teenage son's birthday party'
- Paying tribute to Mr. Awesome: Celebrities pose with self-portrait of boy, 7, who died in freak swimming pool electrocution
- Columbus police make shoplifting arrests at Peachtree Mall
- Jewelry store donates portion of sales to Children's Hospital
- Tornadoes ravage South and Midwest wiping entire Indiana town off the map
- ALERT: Child abduction in Georgia
- Exercise video with dancing poodles goes viral... 10 years after it first came out
- Ohio teacher fired after telling black student he didn't need another black president after Obama
- AMBER ALERT ISSUED
- Man stabbed in domestic dispute
- Your cutlery changes how your food tastes
- Britney's Spears suffers from scaly feet
- Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth ‘split’ rumors persist
- Kelly Scherer: Catholic school counselor found with 50 bags of heroin and 150 needles
- Georgia's Most Dangerous Cities
- Controversial Tennessee mosque targeted by arsonists gets go-ahead despite 16 months of protests
- Thieves dressed like nuns from 'The Town' rob suburban bank TCF
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|