Woman mayor Maria Santos Gorrostieta shows scars from two assassination attempts by Mexican gangs
Baring her mutilated body for the camera, Maria Santos Gorrostieta shows the horrific results of two assassination attempts by Mexican criminals
As the mayor of the town of Tiquicheo, she has become a key target for drug gangs who have turned the country into a grotesquely violent narco-state.
But despite being scarred physically and mentally by the attacks, the extraordinarily brave Mrs Gorrostieta remains defiant.
'I wanted to show you my wounds because I'm not ashamed that my body is mutilated like this,' she said.
'There are some that have said I made these attacks up. But I did not and now I show the physical proof to those who have doubted me.'
Mrs Gorrostieta, a mother-of-three, was first attacked on October 15, 2009 when she was driving through the town of El Limone with her husband.
A group of armed men ambushed their vehicle, spraying the car with bullets.
The mayor was left terribly injured while her husband José Sánchez Chávez was killed.
Despite suffering such a devastating loss and battling back to fitness, Mrs Gorrostieta was determined not to be defeated.
She returned to work and had made remarkable progress.
But in January last year, she was once again ambushed by armed and masked men.
This time her injuries were even worse. She had to have a colostomy bag and suffers constant pain.
'Every day I fight and battle in my mind to erase the memories of the terrible things I lived through,' she said.
Recovery: Mrs Gorrostieta will be scarred for life after the shootings
'But I can't quit, not when I have three children whom I have to teach by example.
'Beside that I have the memories of my husband, the father of my children who knew how to teach the value of things and fight for them.
'He is no longer with us but he remains the guiding light for my decisions.'
Mexico has been torn apart by a spate of gang violence linked to drugs. More than 30,000 peopl ahve been killed in clashes between rival drug cartels and security forces since President Felipe Calderon launched his drug offensive in 2006.
The country's mayors have become prominent targets.
Yao Defen: World's tallest woman dies aged 40 after losing battle with tumor that caused her to grow to 7ft 8in
She was the world’s tallest woman, but she had a tragically short life. Yao Defen, who measured a gigantic 7ft 8in (2.36m), passed away last month ... Full story
- China issues civilised behavior guide for tourists
- Scapegoats: Indian police 'arrest' three goats
- Hong Kong Starbucks apologizes for brewing coffee with 'toilet water'
- Teen rape victim destined to die for speaking out
- Australian bank employee drops 120k into river
- Chinese newborn baby found in sewage pipe returned to mother
- Crocodile eats Indonesian man, leaves head in river
- British man calls police to report prostitute he 'called for sex is ugly'
- 'No good can come from eyeball licking'
- Dutch TV host shocks viewers by drinking milk from woman's breasts on family show
- Mexico mass kidnap: 11 vanish from Mexico City bar in suspected kidnap
- BBC broadcaster Stuart Hall jailed for child sex
- Thai Buddhist monks criticised for lavish behavior
- India considers ban on lingerie-clad mannequins over sex-crime concerns
- Indian woman left in jail for 19 years over $92 bail
- Letter to terrorist: You never call, ignore orders
- Russian man tattoos his name across his girlfriend's FACE - and they only met 24 hours earlier
- Topless protest is first in Arab world
- Unicorn passport gets Emily Harris, 9, through Turkish customs
- Anna Chapman Nude Photos: Naked Pictures Of Russian Spy In 'Playboy'
- Has plastic surgery made these Korean beauty queens all look the same?
- Dutch killer Joran Van der Sloot to marry in Peru prison
- Lego accused of racism with Star Wars set
- Topless Ukranian protester chases and threatens Russian church leader
- Outrage over Chinese popstar, 24, who is 'dating 12-year-old Canadian model'
- Mexico's fearless woman mayor Maria Santos Gorrostieta 'executed' after surviving two assassination attempts
- Horror as American law student Aya Hadir Ghais, 19, dies in fireball crash in Abu Dhabi
- Turkish Woman made pregnant by rapist shoots and DECAPITATES her attacker
- Supermarket got Colombian cocaine instead of bananas
- 'Dead' woman wakes up in a coffin at her own funeral, then dies of heart attack
- Monaco princess Charlotte Casiraghi faces backlash for wearing Native American costume for showjumping
- Hassan Rouhani is Iran's next president
- Jyoti Amge crowned world shortest woman at just 2ft tall
- Video surfaces of tourists allegedly paying endangered Jarawa tribe of India to dance
- Woman with fear of clowns marries circus colleague – who is a clown
- German man falls asleep, transfers millions
- CHILD GLADIATORS: Fighters as young as 8 practice Muay Thai in Thailand
- French magazine sparks 'blackface' race row using white model Ondria Hardin, 16, for 'African Queen' fashion spread
- Rat Dogs aka Ferrets sold to gullible customers as poodles in Argentina
- Christian Homes Torched By Pakistani Mob 4
- Female Israeli soldiers disciplined after posing for pictures dressed only in their underwear and combat fatigues 2
- Anni Dewani, British Newlywed, Found Dead After South Africa Honeymoon Carjacking 1
- US Issues Travel Warning For Mexico 1
- 'Tourism suicide': Dutch to ban foreigners from cannabis coffee shops 1
- No Touching: Islamic Cleric Bans Women From Touching 'Penis-Shaped' Foods 1
- Guinness World Records Names Chandra Dangi world's shortest living man 1
- GPS Fail: Japanese Tourists Drive Straight into the Pacific 1
- Russian mother Galina Ryabkova kills her two sons, aged 4 and 7, by throwing them off 15th floor balcony 1
- 'I heard Indian people eat with their hands still': Oprah faces backlash in India over dinner remarks 1
- Could the bizarre 'bagel head' look be Japan's most extreme beauty trend yet? 1
- N.Y. mom Sarai Sierra vanishes on solo trip overseas 1
- Russian man tattoos his name across his girlfriend's FACE - and they only met 24 hours earlier 1
- Saudi prince Alwaleed bin Talal sues Forbes after it claimed he's 'only' worth $20billion (he says he's worth at least $30billion) 1
- Chicken in China lays giant egg containing another egg 1
- Tunisian woman Amina Tyler thrown in psych ward for topless feminist Facebook pics 1
- Dubai police add Ferrari to fleet of patrol cars weeks after unveiling Lamborghini 1
- Chef killed over meal of fried noodles by two disgruntled guests 1
- ‘Deer burning’ video causes outrage in Canada and on social media 1
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|