Sarah Jones: Bengals cheerleader 'who had sex with one of her students, 16', breaks her silence
The Cincinnati Bengals cheerleader charged with having sex with one of her 16-year-old students has spoken out for the first time since the accusations - and has admitted she is 'dying inside'.
Sarah Jones, 27, is under house arrest after she was charged in Covington, Kentucky with sexual abuse for allegedly sleeping with a student at the high school where she taught English.
But speaking on the Today show, Jones branded the claims 'rumours' and said that the alleged victim and his family, who are friends with her own family, will all testify in her defense in court.
'I'm taking it day by day,' she said of the charges. 'Sometimes I take it minute by minute.'
Struggle: Sarah Jones, a former NFL cheerleader accused of having sex with one of her students, has spoken to the Today show to reveal her daily struggle dealing with the accusations
When asked how she was coping and if she was 'dying inside,' she added: 'Yes, I am. I call my parents on a regular basis and I say, "What can I do just to get through just this minute?"'
Jones, a five-year veteran of the NFL's Ben-Gals cheerleading team, refused to discuss the details of the case, only saying the rumours were started by the alleged victim's bitter ex-girlfriend.
'Just because it’s a rumor, it can be very disruptive to a career,' she said.
She admitted there were 9,000 pages of photos, Facebook messages and texts between her and the student, but it 'does not mean that every single page has something that is going to prove this case'.
Jones is accused of having sex with a 16-year-old football player at Dixie Heights High School, where she taught English. She had resigned from the school in November citing 'personal reasons'.
Tough questions: Jones, who appeared on the show with her mother Cheryl and attorney Eric Deters, said there was no evidence she had sex with the teen boy
'Torture': Jones, pictured with her mother Cheryl, said she looks at every article written about her
The indictment, filed in March, states the alleged sexual relationship with the high school student took place between October 1 and December 31. She pleaded not guilty in April.
She also pleaded not guilty to unlawful use of electronic means to induce a minor to engage in sexual activities, a charge often reserved for people peddling child pornography over the internet.
Her mother Cheryl, 55, a middle school principal who is now on administrative leave, faces a single charge of tampering with evidence in her daughter's case. She also pleaded not guilty.
Sarah Jones told Today that the alleged victim and his family will testify in her defense.
The family appeared in court earlier this year alongside Jones and her mother, even though they had been ordered to have no contact with the family.
'Rumours': She also taught high school English but quit last November for 'personal reasons'
Case: The prosecution said it has 9,000 pages of photos and messages between Jones and her 'victim'
Her attorney, Charles Lester Jr, told the Cincinnati Enquirer: 'The families are friends.'
The interview comes on the same day Jones's attorney filed a motion to have the charges against her dropped, claiming that prosecutors have failed to provide proof that a crime occurred.
'The Commonwealth does not have ... a single witness that there was any sex,' lawyer Eric Deters wrote to the court, the Cincinnati Enquirer reported.
'There is not a single sealed text message that would reflect there was sex in any state, much less Kentucky. There is no confession. There is no admission. There is only speculative conjecture.'
In the interview, Jones added that she has only had sex with one man, her ex-husband, Nathan Wilburn. They married in July last year and separated just one month later. They are now divorced.
She must wear an ankle bracelet and cannot leave the house.
Arrests: Jones, left, was charged with sexual abuse and her mother Cheryl, right, has been charged with covering for her daughter by asking a witness to 'destroy' a phone allegedly containing evidence
'I can't walk to the mailbox,' she said. 'If I go to the mailbox it starts beeping and that's a violation.'
She said she spends her time studying for the LSAT, and has started working for her lawyer as a paralegal. She also scours the internet looking for stories about her.
'The biggest thing is when people attack my character without knowing the full story,' she said.
Jones added that she knows the information about her on the internet will haunt her.
'I cant wait to get married and have kids and start a life,' she said. 'The most devastating part is I can't imagine [my children] getting on the internet and reading the comments about their mother like that.'
Jones also grabbed headlines in 2009 when photographs and postings uploaded on TheDirty.com branded her a 'slut' with 'two STDs'.
Support: Jones, pictured with her mother, said the alleged victim and his family will testify in her defense
When she emailed the site to plead they take photographs down, more posts appeared claiming she had had sex with Bengals players.
Appearing on ABC at the time, she said: 'To stand in front of 30 15-year-olds and tell them you don't have two STDs and that you are not a slut is the hardest thing you will ever have to do.'
Ms Jones sued Nik Richie, TheDirty.com’s founder, for character defamation. She was awarded an $11million default judgement but the litigation is ongoing.
The mother and daughter are scheduled to stand trial in October.
Deters also filed a motion seeking to dismiss the indictment against Jones’ mother, Cheryl Jones, who is charged with tampering with evidence in the case.
- Southern Charm finale introduces Thomas Ravenel and Kathryn Dennis' baby girl
- Pictured hours before his fatal slip in New York bar: Camilla's brother Mark Shand, 62, smiling for camera's with his 'secret fianceé, Ruth Powys, 36, and Princess Eugenie
- Inmate Amy Hightower Re-Arrested After Escaping Hospital
- UPDATE: Recorder's Court judge orders Michael Johnson held without bond in Steve Toms' death
- Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall's brother Mark Shand in critical condition after fall outside NY club
- Man demands realtor takes back mansion he leased for knock-down price after discovering it is 'haunted' after gruesome murder took place there
- The dog with a thousand hilarious faces who LOVES to play fetch
- Jennifer Lopez suffers embarrassing wardrobe malfunction live on German TV
- Man buys $27 of bitcoin, now he's a millionaire
- Heartbreaking farewell video Maddie Yates, 16, posted to YouTube before suicide
- 11-year-old boy beaten by grandmother and mother who then POST VIDEO of abuse on Facebook
- Authorities investigate threat at Paulding Co. High
- Controversial pastor Arthur Allen dies in house fire
- Man shot outside South DeKalb Mall
- Teacher Saralyn Gayle Portwood arrested for inappropriate relationship with student
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook
- 'New low' for Joan Rivers as women held captive by Ariel Castro demand apology for Today show joke she made at their expense
- Principal Kelvin Griffin resigns after allegations of affair with teacher, drugs on campus
- Paying tribute to Mr. Awesome: Celebrities pose with self-portrait of boy, 7, who died in freak swimming pool electrocution
- 'They had robbed my family': Widow's anguish as three teens indicted for killing married father of two on son's birthday after he willingly gave the muggers his wallet
- City inspects pipelines after sinkholes occur
- Outrage over Georgia deputy sheriff Chad Palmer who dressed in blackface as an inmate 'picking cotton' for Halloween party
- Father, daughter arrested after 6-year-old found living in filth
- DeKalb mom Meriel Bemis charged in toddler's death
- Georgia Tech student Saamar Akhshabi dies from injuries after setting himself on fire last month
- Ohio teacher fired after telling black student he didn't need another black president after Obama
- Aspiring model Chelsea Gerrish, 20, killed in horrific road rage crash after being rammed head-on by father-of-three
- Chrysler recalling almost 900,000 SUVs after it was found the brakes can become corroded when exposed to water
- The nine annoying personalities you'll find at the gym
- Elementary school principal John McGill busted in child sex sting
- Tobias A. Bowen caught in Britain
- Columbus police make shoplifting arrests at Peachtree Mall
- A playboy and gossip but he never let his beloved sister down: Richard Kay on the Mark Shand he knew
- Police arrest Woodstock man Anthony Couse for making car bomb sign
- Prank Justin Beiber protest draws attention in Buckhead
- Duke and Duchess learn to DJ: William and Kate hit the decks in Adelaide as they visit suburb named after the Queen
- Falcons 2014-2015 schedule released
- Ukraine crisis breakthrough as Sergey Lavrov says diplomats agree to protect people's rights
- One shot, 1 injured in West Midtown robbery
- Dr. Zyad Younan refuses to pay $135k strip club bill because he claims he was 'drugged'
- Charleston carriage incident eerily similar to Savannah's
- Sean Studler, 17, dragged by train and killed 'was wearing headphones'
- Human skeleton found inside pickup truck in Texas lake solves Helen Holladay case
- Oprah Winfrey's bitter stepmother Barbara in explosive first-ever interview
- How female musical tastes change when she is at her most fertile
- Reclusive owner of South Korean ferry dubbed 'the millionaire with no face' is raided by police as it's revealed he once ran a CULT
- Medical Center cutting ties with Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Train commuters run, jump and swing on pole in ‘worst rush hour service ever’
- Is THIS the Loch Ness Monster? Satellite image on Apple's Maps software may finally have solved the mystery of Nessie
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|