NFL Receiver O.J. Murdock Dies of Apparent Suicide
Tennessee Titans reserve receiver O.J. Murdock has died of an apparent suicide, Tampa police say.
Police spokeswoman Andrea Davis said officers found the 25-year-old Murdock inside his car Monday morning with what appeared to be self-inflicted gunshot wounds. The car was parked in front of Middleton High School, where Murdock attended school.
He was taken to Tampa General Hospital, where he later died.
Murdock did not report to training camp over the weekend because of what the team said at the time was a personal issue.
"We are shocked and saddened to hear of O.J. Murdock's death this morning," the Titans said in a statement Monday. "In his brief time here, a number of our players, coaches and staff had grown close to O.J., and this is a difficult time for them. He spent the last year battling back from an Achilles injury as he prepared for this year's training camp. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends as they try to cope with this tragedy."
As a senior at Middleton in 2005, Murdock was rated the 10th-best wide receiver recruit in the nation by Rivals.com. He signed with South Carolina, but played in only four games, making one catch, after redshirting his first season. He was arrested for shoplifting at a Florida department store during that 2006 season and suspended.
Murdock transferred to Pearl River Community College in Mississippi and then to Division II Fort Hays State in Kansas. As a senior in 2010, he had 60 catches for 1,290 yards and 12 touchdowns.
That earned him an invitation to the NFL Scouting Combine. After going undrafted, he was signed by the Titans last summer but spent the entire 2011 season on injured reserve after hurting his right Achilles early in training camp.
- Colin Kaepernick: Biological mother Heidi Russo wants relationship with quarterback son she gave up
- Hope Solo: 911 call details on altercation with then-fiance Jerramy Stevens
- Russian athlete Yelena Isinbayeva has the best victory celebration ever
- Ironman Jeremy Jurkiewicz is so busy gloating he nearly loses
- Man who fell from upper deck of stadium during Buffalo Bills NFL game is fired from his job
- Gabby Douglas fails to repeat magic on bars but remains the darling of Olympic gymnastics
- Manny Pacquiao's bank accounts frozen in tax fight
- Report: Michael Jordan, wife are expecting
- Look out world, Rodman training North Korea basketball team
- 9-year-old Fla. girl bowls perfect 300, sets record
- Exposed! Dallas Cowboy's Alleged Naked Pictures Surface Online
- Tampa Bay Rays mascot holds inappropriate Steve Irwin sign
- Lindsey Vonn back in skis after horror crash
- Qatar accidentally builds 'vagina stadium' for World Cup
- Former Raiders linebacker Thomas Howard killed in horrific 880 freeway crash
- FIFA assess Brazil venue after collapse kills two workers
- Britain's Tom Daley reveals gay relationship on YouTube
- Gold medal won by Jesse Owens at the 1936 Berlin Olympics raises a record fee
- Kelly Gneiting, Heaviest Man To Finish A Marathon Ever (VIDEO)
- TV Host Holly Sonders Sizzles on cover of golf magazine
- Antonio McDyess Buzzer Beater: Spurs Beat Lakers With Last-Second Tip-In (VIDEO)
- Sprint Cup model Paige Duke loses her job over nude photo scandal
- NFL star Kerry Rhodes forced to deny he's gay - despite being pictured with his arm around another man
- Serena Williams wants to play tennis until she's 40
- Tyreke Evans Buzzer-Beater: Kings Guard Hits Game-Winner From Halfcourt (VIDEO)
- Susannah Collins: Sports reporter who accidentally said 'sex' on air is fired for featuring in raunchy Youtube series
- Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue 2011: Kate Upton & Irina Shayk PHOTOS Inside (PICTURES)
- Matt Howard Buzzer Beater: Butler Beats Old Dominion In NCAA Tournament First Round (VIDEO)
- ‘Who’s that girl?’ Mystery woman crashes Olympic delegation
- ESPN'S Rob Parker suspended for calling Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III 'cornball brother'
- Danica Patrick got hit in the head by a rock
- Shaun White arrested: Snowboarder apologises after arrest for 'drunken hotel vandalism'
- Second sports fan killed in a fall after plummeting 20ft during Chicago Bears game
- Alex Ovechkin Tripping Goal: Capitals Star Scores While Being Tripped Against Panthers (VIDEO)
- VIDEO: Brawl ends game between Georgetown and Bayi Rockets, Hoyas escape injury in China
- NFL star Braylon Edwards sued for child support AGAIN after fathering second secret son with yet another woman
- Super Bowl star Colin Kaepernick's mother who gave him up for adoption REFUSED help to bring him up from her own distraught parents . . . and hasn't even told them who the father is
- Greek football player Giorgos Katidis banned for life for Nazi salute
- Dolphins Defender Charged With Beating Pregnant Girlfriend
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|