High school coach Bob Grisham suspended without pay after ranting about 'fat butt' Michelle Obama and 'queers'
The Alabama high school coach who said First Lady Michelle Obama's 'fat butt' was temporarily suspended over the disparaging remarks.
Head coach Bob Grisham, of Lauderdale County High School in Rogersville, Alabama, was secretly taped while ranting about Mrs Obama and repeatedly expressing his antipathy towards 'queers.'
The Lauderdale County Board of Education suspended Grisham without pay for ten days and demanded that he attend sensitivity training classes.
In the 90-second audio clip recorded on Monday and later obtained by the TimesDaily, the coach could be heard saying that 'fat butt Michelle Obama' is responsible for the lighter, 600-calorie school lunches.
Another voice is heard in the background referring to the president’s wife as 'big fat gorilla.'
Grisham continues his tirade, telling his audience that Mrs Obama looks like she weighs 185 or 190lbs and appears overweight.
The coach then goes on a rant about how the country is going in the wrong direction and says several times that he doesn't 'believe in queers' and doesn’t like 'queers.'
'I don't hate them as a person but what they do is wrong, it's an abomination against God,' Grisham said. 'I don't like being around queers.'
Scroll down to hear the recording
Harsh words: Grisham told his students that Mrs Obama is responsible for the lighter 600-calorie school lunches, even though she weighs '185-190lbs' and looks 'overweight'
Grisham has since spoke out in defense of his remarks, telling the TimesDaily that he misspoke in a debate-style discussion about the state of the country, but that did not stop him from being suspended.
‘I have no hatred toward anyone or any group. People that know my heart, they know that,’ he added.
Schools Superintendent Jennifer Gray said school board members are scheduled to meet February 14 for a special session to determine if Grisham is to be disciplined for his outburst.
Since the controversy broke, school officials said Grisham has been away on personal business and has not been back to school.
Class discussion: A student at Lauderdale County High School in Rogersville, Alabama, recorded Grisham's 90-second tirade targeting Mrs Obama and homosexuals
The LGBT community has reacted with outrage to Grisham's comments, with advocacy groups calling for his firing.
'Every time I listen to this recording, I become angrier and angrier,' James Robinson, of GLBT Advocacy and Youth Services, told WAAY-TV.
He added, ‘This is wrong, unethical, unprofessional, on so many levels, that there should be no question that if it is verified that this happened in a classroom, that this teacher should be removed from his position.’
A group called Alabama Citizens for Equality created an online petition to push the Lauderdale County school system to terminate Grisham, stating, ‘With Alabama's rich history of ignoring, encouraging, and often inciting prejudice or hatred towards minority groups, this speech should never be tolerated within school walls,’ AL.com reported.
Some in the community, however, spoke up in support of the beleaguered coach. One student in the high school said that the incident has been blown out of proportion, and that Grisham meant his remarks as a 'joke.'
Grisham has been employed by the school district since 1991 and has been the head coach of the Lauderdale County High School for the past five years.
He has led the Tigers to three straight seasons of 10 or more wins, and this past season, he helped the team reach the state semifinals.
According to the Lauderdale County High School website, besides coaching the football team, Grisham also teaches driver's education and psychology.
The coach graduated from Lauderdale County High School in 1984 and went on to earn a social science degree from Athens State College and a Master's degree in learning disabilities from University of North Alabama.
Between 1994 and 2003, he served as a football coach at nearby Lexington High School.
Tampa Bay Rays manager Joe Maddon has his player's back. He proved that on Sunday when a fan was allegedly making racist comments about one ... Full story
- Miami Heat's Dwyane Wade becomes prom date for 18-year-old girl after YouTube invite
- Predrag Danilovic: Ex-NBA player stabbed, seriously injured in fight
- Chad Johnson in custody after parole violation
- Usain Bolt recruits Jamaican track teammates to be personal security after being mobbed in Olympic Village
- Partying Patriots star Rob Gronkowski racked up a $9,000 bar bill celebrating Super Bowl Sunday at Las Vegas nightclub
- Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue 2011: Kate Upton & Irina Shayk PHOTOS Inside (PICTURES)
- Michael Vick Out: Eagles quarterback loses starting job for rest of season
- Super Bowl star Colin Kaepernick's mother who gave him up for adoption REFUSED help to bring him up from her own distraught parents . . . and hasn't even told them who the father is
- Seahawks QB Josh Portis arrested for DUI
- Alyse Lahti Johnston, Tiger Woods' New Girlfriend (PHOTOS)
- Joe Flacco the R-word pledge
- NBA fans watch in horror as Orlando Magic cheerleader Jamie Woode suffers horrific fall during half-time show
- Pig's head in locker
- Police arrest Michael J. Creed in stabbing of University of Delaware quarterback
- Scary scene as drag racer crashes at 230 MPH
- Report: Phil Jackson ‘itching’ to coach again
- Meet Tommy Olmstead- Half man, half beard, all amazing
- McCoy: Vick cheated in foot race
- Thank goodness NCAA pregame show got the 'white man's perspective'
- Bobcats name change
- Arrest warrant issued for Chad Johnson
- Soccer match held in Milan halted by racist jeers
- Sports Blogger Claire Crawford Chastises NBA Cheerleader for 'Pudginess'
- Broncos safety Quinton Carter facing Vegas cheating case
- Legendary QB Steve Davis dies in a plane crash
- NASCAR legend Dick Trickle commits suicide at 71
- End it like Beckham - star announces retirement
- Nationals star left bloodied after he crashes face-first into scoreboard
- Serena Williams responds to Stephens bashing comments
- Allen Iverson: Judge's scathing divorce decree for former NBA star
- Pictured: Dan Marino's former mistress Donna Savattere and love child spotted in upscale London neighborhood
- Kevin Ware quits Twitter and calls TMZ 'losers' after being quizzed about his sex life after horrific leg break
- Boston Red Sox pitcher Drake Britton in DUI arrest after being clocked at 111mph in a 45mph zone
- Freddie Mitchell: Ex-Eagles receiver admits to tax-fraud
- Atlanta Hawks cheerleader rushed to hospital after landing on her head in bizarre high-kick accident
- Nike's Tiger Woods 'Winning takes care of everything' ad draws critics
- Beckham talking to MLS about owning a new team
- AMAZING: High School Runner COLLAPSES, Crawls Passed Finish Line
- Lingerie Bowl 2011: Philadelphia Passion vs. Los Angeles Temptation (PHOTOS)
- Colin Kaepernick: Biological mother Heidi Russo wants relationship with quarterback son she gave up 13
- Kaitlyn Collins: Packers cheerleader fights bullying after fans posted nasty comments about her looks on Facebook 4
- Miami beach not good enough for you? LeBron James prefers sand and surf in the Bahamas 2
- Michael Vick Out: Eagles quarterback loses starting job for rest of season 2
- Texas Man Ross Ehlinger Dies From Heart Attack During Alcatraz triathlon 2
- Softball coach Troy Hennum fired after sending female students on scavenger hunts for 'cute girls' 2
- OMG! What are you wearing now? Venus Williams's latest choice of tennis outfit turns heads at U.S. Open 1
- WATCH: High School Running Back Penalized For Pointing To Heavens 1
- Lingerie Bowl 2011: Philadelphia Passion vs. Los Angeles Temptation (PHOTOS) 1
- Fennville student Wes Leonard, 16, dies on basketball court after game-winning shot 1
- High School football players face charges after attack on referee 1
- UGA prospect Chester Brown's application denied over citizenship 1
- Tigers left fielder Delmon Young arrested after anti-Semetic tirade outside upmarket hotel 1
- Sarah Jones: Bengals cheerleader 'who had sex with one of her students, 16', breaks her silence 1
- Greece's triple jumper Voula Papachristou expelled from Olympic team for making racist comments on Twitter 1
- Outrage as Nike unveils $315 sneakers - their most expensive ever 1
- Yankees manager Joe Girardi angry at heckling fan 1
- Alexandra "Sasha" McHale: Rockets coach's daughter dies at age 22 1
- Jovan Belcher's 'girlfriend' Brittni Glass who 'he stayed with the night before shooting dead his lover and killing himself' 1
- LeBron bear hugs middle-age dude who made half-court shot for $75K 1
- Ex-NFL star Kwame Harris charged with assaulting ex-boyfriend after soy sauce spat 1
- Dan Marino Love Child: Legendary quarterback cheated on wife of 28 years with Donna Savattere 1
- High school coach Bob Grisham suspended without pay after ranting about 'fat butt' Michelle Obama and 'queers' 1
- Ring card girl doesn’t notice knocked out fighter (Video) 1
- Ex-NFL star Terrell Owens is 'escorted off a woman's property after he banged on her door for three hours and wouldn't leave' 1
- Alex Permann: Fan at Missouri Valley tournament hits half-court shot but misses out on $50,000 prize 1
- Competitive college wrestler Matt McDonough throws stupid second-place medal in trash 1
- Former NFL Player Kwame Harris Confirms He's Gay 1
- Sports Blogger Claire Crawford Chastises NBA Cheerleader for 'Pudginess' 1
- Reporter nearly gets hit by home run while taking photo of herself at Boston Red Sox stadium 1
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- Dutch TV host shocks viewers by drinking milk from woman's breasts on family show
- Russian soldier shot in the head by an AK-47 smiles for the camera as his comrade pulls it out using just PLIERS
- Clinton Shepherd: Man breaks world record by riding ferris wheel for two days
- Parents furious baby was called 'ugly' on TV sports show