Floyd Mayweather Jr. scores unanimous decision against Miguel Cotto
Floyd Mayweather Jr. hadn’t been pushed to the limit in more than a decade, since Jose Luis Castillo waltzed him around the ring as a junior lightweight in 2002. Since then Mayweather has been on cruise control as he has sailed to the top of the boxing world.
Miguel Cotto (37-3, 30 KOs) gave Mayweather as much as he could handle, but in the end it wasn’t enough as Mayweather scored a hard-fought 12-round unanimous decision to take away Cotto’s WBA super welterweight title before an electrified crowd at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on Saturday night.
(R-L) Floyd Mayweather Jr.throws a right to the face of Miguel Cotto during their WBA super welterweight title fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on May 5, 2012 in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Judges Patricia Morse Jarmin and Dave Moretti scored it 117-111 and Robert Hoyle scored it 118-111, all for Mayweather. The Daily News scored it 117-111 for Mayweather.
Right after the fight ended, Mayweather said to Cotto, “You’re a hell of a champion. You’re the toughest guy I ever fought.
“Look, when fights are on Pay-Per-View you want to give the fans what they paid for and that’s excitement,” Mayweather added. “It comes with the territory when you fight a future Hall of Famer like Miguel Cotto. I had to fight hard, I had to suck it up. I knew I would have to come into the fight and fight hard. He came to fight, not to survive. I dug down and I fought him back.”
Mayweather (43-0, 26 KOs) was walked into the ring by pop star Justin Bieber and rapper 50 Cent. The crowd, which had booed Mayweather previously when he was shown entering the arena before the fight, didn’t boo when he walked to the ring.
This night was made possible by Justice of the Peace Melissa Saragosa, who postponed Mayweather’s 90-day jail sentence so that he could fight Cotto. Mayweather will have to report to the Clark County Detention Center on June 1 to begin serving that sentence, which stemmed from his guilty plea on a domestic abuse charge.
On going to jail on June 1, Mayweather said: “It comes with the territory. In life there’s obstacles, and I take the good with the good and the bad with the bad. I’ll deal with it.”
Mayweather quickly established his superiority in speed, quickness and defensive slickness. The first half of the second round was spent with Mayweather fighting with his back against the ropes in his corner, ducking, slipping and catching punches as Cotto flailed away. Mayweather would fire a few quick uppercuts just to let Cotto feel his presence.
(L-R) Miguel Cotto throws a left punch at Floyd Mayweather Jr. during their WBA super welterweight title fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on May 5, 2012 in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Even though he spent most of the fight right in front of the Puerto Rican champion, Mayweather proved an elusive target. Cotto landed his first clean shot of the fight in the fifth round — a sharp left hook — as Mayweather’s back was pinned to the ropes. It was a start. Later in the round he bloodied Mayweather’s nose with a straight left. Mayweather acknowledged the shot by stepping back and smiling.
Cotto had his finest round in the eighth as Mayweather began to slow enough for Cotto to find his range and land. This time when he pinned Mayweather against the ropes, Cotto was able to pummel him in the chin with straight lefts and looping rights. When Mayweather was seated on his stool in his corner between rounds, the big screen flashed a picture of his face smeared with blood from his nose, and the crowd cheered. The fans thought that Mayweather, the pound-for-pound king, was finally getting his licks.
The crowd cheered “Cotto! Cotto! Cotto!” near the end of the ninth round. He had won the crowd, but the real question was whether he had done enough to win on the judges’ scorecards.
Late in the 12th round Mayweather buckled Cotto’s knees with a sharp right uppercut. Cotto lurched forward into Mayweather’s arms and stayed on his feet. The crowd was on its feet as Cotto had given Mayweather the first real test that he’s had since Castillo pushed him to the limit as a junior lightweight more than a decade ago.
“I tried to make the (Manny) Pacquiao fight and that didn't work, so I fought Miguel Cotto instead and gave the fans a great fight,” Mayweather said. “I’m just trying to fight Pacquiao. I want that fight. If he takes the (drug) test I will fight him. Miguel Cotto agreed to the test.”
Cotto left the ring without commenting.
In the co-feature of the evening, Saul (Canelo) Alvarez (40-0-1, 29 KOs) pounded out a lopsided 12-round decision over Shane Mosley to retain his WBC super welterweight title. Alvarez, 21, was 7 years old when the 40-year-old Mosley (46-8-1) won his first title.
Tampa Bay Rays manager Joe Maddon has his player's back. He proved that on Sunday when a fan was allegedly making racist comments about one ... Full story
- Celtics Beat 76ers 84-80 For 14th Straight Win
- Australian Swimmer Stephanie Rice in the spotlight after racy picture
- Shaun White arrested: Snowboarder apologises after arrest for 'drunken hotel vandalism'
- NBA fans watch in horror as Orlando Magic cheerleader Jamie Woode suffers horrific fall during half-time show
- Colin Kaepernick: Biological mother Heidi Russo wants relationship with quarterback son she gave up
- Padres pitcher Andrew Cashner stabbed in hunting mishap
- Miami Heat's Dwyane Wade becomes prom date for 18-year-old girl after YouTube invite
- Derrick Rose Passes Between His Legs To Joakim Noah For The Dunk (VIDEO)
- Serena Williams recovering in L.A. hospital after emergency treatment for blood clot in her lungs
- Shaquille O'Neal Out Indefinitely: Celtics Center's Return Remains Uncertain
- SHOCKER: Jets Back Up Trash Talk With 28-21 Win Over Patriots
- Redskins Player Albert Haynesworth Charged In Alleged Road Rage Incident
- Iran: London 2012 Olympics Logo Is Racist, Spells Out 'Zion' (PHOTO)
- Lingerie Basketball League in Los Angeles hopes to lure male fans
- High school coach Bob Grisham suspended without pay after ranting about 'fat butt' Michelle Obama and 'queers'
- Tim Tebow speech canceled at controversial church in Dallas
- Another Massage Therapist Stephanie Dusenberry Makes Scandalous Brett Favre Claim
- Tiger Woods' Twitter Response (VIDEO)
- Sports Illustrated Swimsuit 2011: Irina Shayk becomes latest hit for storied magazine issue
- Todd Palin Loses Iron Dog Snowmobile Race
- Blake Griffin's One-Handed Alley-Oop From Mo Williams (VIDEO)
- Teen athlete, Matthew Hammerdorfer, dies after rugby match; 2nd high school athlete death in 3 days
- Tommie Harris: NFL star's wife Ashley dies of suspected brain aneurysm aged 29
- A pedicure... then prison: Boxing champion Floyd Mayweather begins 90-day jail sentence for attacking his ex-girlfriend
- Predrag Danilovic: Ex-NBA player stabbed, seriously injured in fight
- Bobcats name change
- Skiier Bode Miller's Golf Shot Hits Wife, Requires Over 50 Stitches
- Dan Marino Love Child: Legendary quarterback cheated on wife of 28 years with Donna Savattere
- Gold medalist dead after sailboat capsizes in San Francisco Bay
- Sergio Garcia, Tiger Woods take their shots at each other
- Nike DISMANTLES LeBron James Mural In Cleveland
- Georgia Assistant Coach Todd Grantham Gives Florida Kicker Choke Sign
- Dallas Cowboys Head Coach Wade Phillips CANNED!
- Beckham talking to MLS about owning a new team
- Patriots Rout Jets 45-3, Tom Brady Throws 4 Touchdown Passes
- NBA Guard J.R. Smith Throws Down Monster Dunk
- Terrelle Pryor Suspended: 4 Other Ohio State Buckeyes To Sit Out 5 Games Next Season
- Dwight Howard Nails Chris Quinn In The Head With Basketball (VIDEO)
- Tyreke Evans Buzzer-Beater: Kings Guard Hits Game-Winner From Halfcourt (VIDEO)
- Colin Kaepernick: Biological mother Heidi Russo wants relationship with quarterback son she gave up 13
- Kaitlyn Collins: Packers cheerleader fights bullying after fans posted nasty comments about her looks on Facebook 4
- Miami beach not good enough for you? LeBron James prefers sand and surf in the Bahamas 2
- Michael Vick Out: Eagles quarterback loses starting job for rest of season 2
- Texas Man Ross Ehlinger Dies From Heart Attack During Alcatraz triathlon 2
- Softball coach Troy Hennum fired after sending female students on scavenger hunts for 'cute girls' 2
- OMG! What are you wearing now? Venus Williams's latest choice of tennis outfit turns heads at U.S. Open 1
- WATCH: High School Running Back Penalized For Pointing To Heavens 1
- Lingerie Bowl 2011: Philadelphia Passion vs. Los Angeles Temptation (PHOTOS) 1
- Fennville student Wes Leonard, 16, dies on basketball court after game-winning shot 1
- High School football players face charges after attack on referee 1
- UGA prospect Chester Brown's application denied over citizenship 1
- Tigers left fielder Delmon Young arrested after anti-Semetic tirade outside upmarket hotel 1
- Sarah Jones: Bengals cheerleader 'who had sex with one of her students, 16', breaks her silence 1
- Greece's triple jumper Voula Papachristou expelled from Olympic team for making racist comments on Twitter 1
- Outrage as Nike unveils $315 sneakers - their most expensive ever 1
- Yankees manager Joe Girardi angry at heckling fan 1
- Alexandra "Sasha" McHale: Rockets coach's daughter dies at age 22 1
- Jovan Belcher's 'girlfriend' Brittni Glass who 'he stayed with the night before shooting dead his lover and killing himself' 1
- LeBron bear hugs middle-age dude who made half-court shot for $75K 1
- Ex-NFL star Kwame Harris charged with assaulting ex-boyfriend after soy sauce spat 1
- Dan Marino Love Child: Legendary quarterback cheated on wife of 28 years with Donna Savattere 1
- High school coach Bob Grisham suspended without pay after ranting about 'fat butt' Michelle Obama and 'queers' 1
- Ring card girl doesn’t notice knocked out fighter (Video) 1
- Ex-NFL star Terrell Owens is 'escorted off a woman's property after he banged on her door for three hours and wouldn't leave' 1
- Alex Permann: Fan at Missouri Valley tournament hits half-court shot but misses out on $50,000 prize 1
- Competitive college wrestler Matt McDonough throws stupid second-place medal in trash 1
- Former NFL Player Kwame Harris Confirms He's Gay 1
- Sports Blogger Claire Crawford Chastises NBA Cheerleader for 'Pudginess' 1
- Reporter nearly gets hit by home run while taking photo of herself at Boston Red Sox stadium 1
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|