Steve Jobs resigns as CEO of Apple
SAN FRANCISCO - Silicon Valley legend Steve Jobs on Wednesday resigned as chief executive of Apple Inc in a stunning move that ended his 14-year reign at the technology giant he co-founded in a garage.
Apple shares were suspended from trade before the announcement. They had gained 0.7 percent to close at $376.18.
The pancreatic cancer survivor and industry icon, who has been on medical leave for an undisclosed condition since January 17, will be replaced by COO and longtime heir apparent Tim Cook.
"I have always said if there ever came a day when I could no longer meet my duties and expectations as Apple's CEO, I would be the first to let you know. Unfortunately, that day has come," he said in a brief letter announcing his resignation.
The 55-year-old CEO had briefly emerged from his medical leave in March to unveil the latest version of the iPad and later to attend a dinner hosted by President Barack Obama for technology leaders in Silicon Valley.
Jobs' often-gaunt appearance has sparked questions about his health and his ability to continue at Apple.
"I will say to investors: don't panic and remain calm, it's the right thing to do. Steve will be chairman and Cook is CEO," said BGC Financial analyst Colin Gillis.
Google on Wednesday gave the world a glimpse of its vision for letting people look at life through Internet-tinted glasses.A video posted at a Project ... Full story
- China banks barred from handling bitcoins
- Do your Facebook friends secretly hate you?
- How to do undo an email
- US and UK spies infiltrate Second Life, World of Warcraft and other online games, Snowden's NSA documents show
- Microsoft working on a 'smart bra' that will help stop emotional eating binges
- Millions of Facebook, Twitter and Google passwords stolen in hack
- Facebook is implementing an unfollow button for Newsfeed
- Facebook considering ‘sympathize’ option as an alternative to ‘like’
- eBay app turns Facebook likes into Christmas wishlist
- The device that lets parents literally watch over their kids
- Quick-thinking Twitter user mocks up Amazon drone ‘missed delivery’ note
- 2,000 Netflix movies to disappear from movie streaming service on May 1
- Yahoo's bizarre office memo slams Outlook email
- Google Fires Employee Who Leaked Memo On Raises
- THE BROWSER WARS: Google Chrome vs. Firefox 4 vs. Internet Explorer 9
- Interactive Porn Reaches Kinect (VIDEO)
- Pinterest-like site Snatchly lets users ‘pin’ porn on virtual boards
- Seattle Dive Bar bans high-tech Google glasses
- 16-Year-Old Arrested For Pro-WikiLeaks Cyber Attacks
- Google's YouTube Says It's in Negotiations to Stream Live NBA, NHL Games
- Google's new goggles set to change our outlook
- Facebook launches Instagram video
- Facebook suffers outage affecting status updates and "Likes"
- Alibaba CEO, COO Resign After Fraud Probe
- 'These people f***ed me over': Fired Yahoo CEO lashes out at 'doofus' board
- Washington Woman Discovers Her Husband's Other Wife on Facebook
- Twitter changes logo to a simplified bird
- What NOT To Post On Facebook
- Facebook Works with GLAAD To Remove Anti-Gay Hate Speech
- PHOTO: The New BlackBerry Style Gets Official
- Cartoon Character Facebook Profile Pictures Go Viral: Here's Why
- 'Taking the kids to see Satan': The unpredictable hilarity of predictive texts is revealed
- Google redesign: Company unveils new look for homepage, Gmail, Calendar, other services
- Young techie enters 'world's richest'
- Sony PS4 news: Gamers abuzz after mystery meeting
- Unlucky frog launched into space by NASA
- CRACKDOWN: Verizon To Kill Unlimited Data Plan This Month?
- 15 minutes of fame: YouTube increases upload limit
- Yahoo DOWN: Yahoo.com Outage Reported
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|