Microsoft joins Google in the race to speed up the web
The Internet Engineering Task Force is meeting this week to discuss the future of the internet, and ways to make it faster and more responsive. If Microsoft has anything to say about it, that future will involve the replacement of the familiar HTTP standard with something much faster.
The existing HTTP (hypertext transfer protocol) is the computer language by which computers communicate with each other on the web. It's been the workhorse of the internet for over 15 years, but with the internet having evolved so much since, it's generally agreed by tech experts that a more modern, faster approach is needed — an HTTP 2.0, if you will.
Already, Google has proposed a replacement for the HTTP standard named SPDY (short for SPeeDY) that would boost the speed of the web by 50%. The new Microsoft standard, which lacks a marketing-friendly name, isn't necessarily a competitor with Google's proposed standard, but a complement to it. It would go a step beyond web browsers, focusing on optimizing the internet for mobile apps as well. There's no schedule for implementation of the new standard, so a faster web may still be a long time away.
- Zoo Atlanta has warthog births for spring
- Paul McCartney writes to Putin asking to free Greenpeace protesters
- Attacks in Iraq around religious ritual kill 22
- Parents of school employee who reported coworkers were stealing to buy meth seek FBI probe over his 'suicide'
- Southern Charm finale introduces Thomas Ravenel and Kathryn Dennis' baby girl
- Russian cosmonauts take Olympic torch on first historic spacewalk outside space station
- Richmond County's handicap parking enforcement lags behind Columbia County
- Fort Pulaski recreates Thanksgiving field day of 1862
- Behind the scenes of 'Sleepy Hollow'
- Supreme Court green-lights Obamacare birth-control showdown
- 'This whole thing -- it's a mess!' Obama's health care 'fix' angers insurance companies
- Pictured for the first time: Communist sect 'leader' accused of keeping three women as slaves for more than 30 years
- Talahi woman charged with concealing husband's death enters plea
- Teacher Saralyn Gayle Portwood arrested for inappropriate relationship with student
- Meet the big game huntresses who have killed more than 70 species
- Heartbreaking farewell video Maddie Yates, 16, posted to YouTube before suicide
- LANCE ARMSTRONG WORLD EXCLUSIVE: Drugs cheat meets his accuser Emma O'Reilly
- Gloom with a view: Abandoned German hotel that once allowed only the finest people to enter but is now home to bugs and cockroaches
- Tobias A. Bowen caught in Britain
- The world explained in maps revealing everything you need to know
- Father Timothy Archibald photographs 5-year-old autistic son Elijah's unique behavior
- Investigators search for cause of fire that destroyed Richmond Hill home
- Harry Drinkwater's lost diary from the Great War
- Canal trout experiment yields both cannibalism and survivors
- GA owner of NC State Fair ride surrenders to police
- Satellite likely to hit Earth in unpopulated area
- Serial killer Joseph Paul Franklin begs Missouri to halt his lethal injection because it may be 'excruciatingly painful'
- Blake Lively highlights her famous legs in ruffled skirt with clashing printed jacket at H&M masquerade party
- Virus holds computer files ransom
- Augusta artist returns from North Pole expedition
- Faysal Himon, NYC cab driver, avoids charges in accident that left tourist without a foot, report says
- Van runs stop sign, causes five-vehicle crash
- Married man who raped girl three times starting when she was only 14-years-old WILL NOT go to prison despite convictions
- Pennsylvania Reverend Frank Schaefer may be defrocked for officiating gay son's wedding
- Samsung to launch a wraparound screen next year: Rumours abound that new Galaxy model could have a THREE-sided screen
- Girl flees pursuer, finds friendly face, safety at Denver home
- Your Week in History: An alien 'invasion' and a huge first pitch
- UGA-Auburn game on CBS Saturday
- Residents near Ga. base warned of weapons training
- A gentleman is always on time and makes love on his elbows... but doesn't tweet or own a cat: Country Life reveal the ten dos and don'ts of the 'Gentlemanly Commandments'
- JFK assassination historic items on display to mark 50th anniversary of President's death
- The adjustable airline seats that widen according to your size (and how much you're willing to pay)
- Angelina really is a foxy lady! Scientists discover that silver foxes share the same facial characteristics as beautiful women
- Grand jury rules shooting not authorized
- Henry County teen wont give up fight to cure cancer
- Sorry Charlie's facade inspection to take place Friday
- Norman Bel Geddes exhibition's designs that shaped modern America
- Dennis Rodman apologizes for Bae comments
- She's smoking! Mount Etna puffs out dozens of rings measuring hundreds of feet across as she spews molten lava
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|