Passengers on board stricken Carnival Splendor speak about cruise liner 'nightmare'
Passengers on board a stricken cruise liner being towed back to port after a fire destroyed its propulsion and communication systems have spoken of their 'nightmare' journey.
The Carnival Splendor has been stranded 55 miles off the coast of Punta San Jacinto for the past three days with 3,299 passengers on board.
A major fire damaged the vessel's engine and left holidaymakers without basic services including hot food, air conditioning and, for some time, working toilets.
Tugboats have been hauling the 952ft liner, dubbed the Spam cruiser after emergency supplies of the tinned meat were flown by helicopter to the vessel, to San Diego for repairs and some passengers on board have managed to get in touch with family.
Lenora Chavez said the ship was beginning to smell and many people on board were seasick.
She told ABC News: 'It smells like a lot of people are throwing up. I can smell that a lot and they have a lot of bags hanging in the corridors - vomit bags.
'And I think the toilets are getting full, so all of those things aren't so great.'
- Southern Charm finale introduces Thomas Ravenel and Kathryn Dennis' baby girl
- The dog with a thousand hilarious faces who LOVES to play fetch
- Pictured hours before his fatal slip in New York bar: Camilla's brother Mark Shand, 62, smiling for camera's with his 'secret fianceé, Ruth Powys, 36, and Princess Eugenie
- Inmate Amy Hightower Re-Arrested After Escaping Hospital
- UPDATE: Recorder's Court judge orders Michael Johnson held without bond in Steve Toms' death
- Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall's brother Mark Shand in critical condition after fall outside NY club
- Jennifer Lopez suffers embarrassing wardrobe malfunction live on German TV
- Man demands realtor takes back mansion he leased for knock-down price after discovering it is 'haunted' after gruesome murder took place there
- Heartbreaking farewell video Maddie Yates, 16, posted to YouTube before suicide
- Man buys $27 of bitcoin, now he's a millionaire
- 11-year-old boy beaten by grandmother and mother who then POST VIDEO of abuse on Facebook
- Man shot outside South DeKalb Mall
- Authorities investigate threat at Paulding Co. High
- Teacher Saralyn Gayle Portwood arrested for inappropriate relationship with student
- 'Sizzurp' cough syrup used by Justin Bieber and Lil' Wayne has been pulled off the market amid manufacturer fears it's being abused as a drug
- Controversial pastor Arthur Allen dies in house fire
- Principal Kelvin Griffin resigns after allegations of affair with teacher, drugs on campus
- Paying tribute to Mr. Awesome: Celebrities pose with self-portrait of boy, 7, who died in freak swimming pool electrocution
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook
- Chrysler recalling almost 900,000 SUVs after it was found the brakes can become corroded when exposed to water
- Father, daughter arrested after 6-year-old found living in filth
- 2-year-old drowns in Paulding Co. pool
- 'New low' for Joan Rivers as women held captive by Ariel Castro demand apology for Today show joke she made at their expense
- Georgia Tech student Saamar Akhshabi dies from injuries after setting himself on fire last month
- City inspects pipelines after sinkholes occur
- 'They had robbed my family': Widow's anguish as three teens indicted for killing married father of two on son's birthday after he willingly gave the muggers his wallet
- DeKalb mom Meriel Bemis charged in toddler's death
- Tobias A. Bowen caught in Britain
- Outrage over Georgia deputy sheriff Chad Palmer who dressed in blackface as an inmate 'picking cotton' for Halloween party
- Five-year-old starved in closet Jordan Bleimeyer pictured on road to recovery
- Aspiring model Chelsea Gerrish, 20, killed in horrific road rage crash after being rammed head-on by father-of-three
- Ohio teacher fired after telling black student he didn't need another black president after Obama
- A playboy and gossip but he never let his beloved sister down: Richard Kay on the Mark Shand he knew
- Ted Cruz posts picture of himself grinning alongside skin of endangered tiger
- Duke and Duchess learn to DJ: William and Kate hit the decks in Adelaide as they visit suburb named after the Queen
- How female musical tastes change when she is at her most fertile
- Justin Bieber alienates Chinese fans with visit to Japanese war shrine
- Police arrest Woodstock man Anthony Couse for making car bomb sign
- Columbus police make shoplifting arrests at Peachtree Mall
- Elementary school principal John McGill busted in child sex sting
- Falcons 2014-2015 schedule released
- Medical Center cutting ties with Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Ukraine crisis breakthrough as Sergey Lavrov says diplomats agree to protect people's rights
- DeKalb high school basketball player Terrell Coleman dies
- One shot, 1 injured in West Midtown robbery
- New York Yankees pitcher Michael Pineda ejected for ball tampering in Boston
- The nine annoying personalities you'll find at the gym
- Prank Justin Beiber protest draws attention in Buckhead
- Dr. Zyad Younan refuses to pay $135k strip club bill because he claims he was 'drugged'
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|